Software
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_dulin

Simple, impactful headboard - bedding ideas?

7 years ago
I’m seeking ideas in bedding for a simple statement piece bed.

I have had several beautiful custom wood pieces crafted for my modern apartment by a local woodworker. Currently being created is a low Zen platform bed with a live edge piece of walnut butterflied so there is a live edge river at the center with butterfly pegs connecting the two halves. I’m posting the inspiration piece and photos of the raw wood. I’m also posting cad drawings.

The mattress level will be only 18” high with the mattress - lower than most beds.

I’m thinking something simple but with a lot of texture would work well. Obviously the wood is the star here. I just need to figure out how to make it shine.

I’m also posting the main inspiration piece for my apartment, a mid century modern sofa by Adrian Pearsall.

Comments (29)

  • 7 years ago
    Ditto vtlady52! STUNNING DESIGN!!!!! soft natural colors with a knitted thick throw ...would be the way to go ! WOW ! You have such good taste ! This looks already like an oasis for the perfect get sleep !
  • 7 years ago
    Ps love your very comfortable cat ! Are you thinking of changing the colors of the blue to a creamy /gold /natural color as in the flowers of the pillows or changing the colors all together to fit in with your natural wood style bedroom ?
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I would keep the bedding really simple no layering of pillows maybe a nice colored throw at the foot end in a color you like , maybe a simple linen coverlet tucked in all around similr to the picture

  • 7 years ago
    Thanks for the comments. I’m jumping up and down with excitement because this artist who is doing the work is just meticulous and he has executed my ideas so beautifully. The walnut he found for this project is just gorgeous and will have lots of contrast when it is finished (with very minimal finish).

    The Adrian Pearsall piece is in my living room, not my bedroom. I have used a range of blues pulled from that piece throughout the space in other fabrics. There brass/gold metal accents. In the second bedroom the bed is bubblegum pink and the guest bath linens are pink.

    For the bedroom I’m trying to figure color scheme. I may continue with some serene blues or I may do ivory, which is also in the mix in fabric. I’m posting some pics of the living room. Will post some of other bedroom in a bit.

    No window in the bedroom, FYI.

    I like the idea of the layers and textures in neutrals and of a luxury feel.
  • 7 years ago
    From kitchen and living area
  • 7 years ago

    Waiting for the bubblegum pink bedroom.

  • 7 years ago
    Stain it a medium color and use a glossy top coat of varnish or other finish coat. The live edge needs to be high enough that it will fully show above your pillows and bedding.....the higher the better to make a real statement. I would not hang art above the headboard.
    It will be beautiful.
  • 7 years ago

    Sigh. Okay, you got me again. My favorite wood is walnut. Super beautiful.

  • 7 years ago

    I like the Moroccan Pom Pom blankets. Very natural and simple but still a little exotic.


  • 7 years ago
    Ooh those Pom Poms are nice!!

    Pics of second bedroom
  • 7 years ago
    Pics of guest bath
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    That's a beautiful bed--lucky you to have a great craftsman who knows how to work with wood! I'd keep it simple also, use natural organic fibers in subdued colors, but with lots of texture: linen, wool, cotton. You might want to splurge on Coyuchi linens--check out their website:

    https://www.coyuchi.com/tahoe-collection.html

    Not cheap by any means, but you're not buying bedding every day!

  • 7 years ago

    Those are lovely. I really like the direction this thread is going and the suggestions I am receiving. These are all along the lines of what I have in mind, simple, textured, luxurious but also sort of raw and unrefined. This has given me a lot of inspiration.


    @kayleesmimi - those pendants are amazing! Where did you get those?

  • 7 years ago

    In second bedroom, that wall of curtains is covering floor to ceiling windows with a view of the Chattanooga Walking Bridge.


    https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5c/33/38/5c3338e58d4de9963d7d50711e2ea077.jpg

  • 7 years ago

    Hmm, maybe this Moroccan Pom Pom would be good. The gold stripe would coordinate with the other gold in the apartment; add a bit of luxe into the mix.


    https://www.amazon.com/Zeal-Living-Moroccan-Blanket-Metallic/dp/B07JP3YVZV/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1547513669&sr=8-19&keywords=moroccan+pom+pom+blanket

  • 7 years ago
    Pom Poms and luxury ...elegance ? I would keep the lines as simple as you had original imagined ...with natural colors ! Your headboard is the star ...don't sweeten it up with Pom Poms ...even though it looks nice in the bedroom shown ...
    The two rooms are totally different ...one traditional ..with a sweet touch , hence Pom Poms and yours stunning , unusual and elegant ! Not much needed here !
  • 7 years ago

    I like that too. I was really looking for neutral colors but with interesting textures to set off the walnut platform bed I had made. Unfortunately we’ve got so many pillows on the bed you can’t really see it well in the photo. I liked the Pom Pom blanket because it was really natural looking but still a little exotic. (I don’t know why I can’t make this font unbold!). I got the pendants at L’aviva. They were expensive and after seeing them I looked for something else for almost a year but couldn’t find anything I liked nearly as much. I still love them. I’m still trying to figure out some nightstands. https://www.lavivahome.com/shop/lighting/egyptian-lamps/

  • 7 years ago

    Look at this washed linen duvet at Zara Home: https://www.zarahome.com/us/new-in-c1020208537.html


  • 7 years ago
    Wow. The lamps are stunning and the linen duvet is amazing. I like that whole Zara site.

    Latest exciting bed developments: Craftsman is doing Shou Sugi Ban on the live edge. Some tests below.

    I decided that the room will just have this bed, a rub beneath to anchor it, floating shelves (probably) as nightstands, and sconces for lights. Think otherwise it will be totally bare or possible some artwork and/or an altar on the opposite wall.
  • 7 years ago
    Beautiful!
  • 7 years ago
    I feel like a kid waiting for Santa. It’s coming tomorrow!

    I found a great cotton blanket and quilt. Will post pics tomorrow.

    Hope I can sleep.
  • 7 years ago

    Well, nuts! The weather was rainy all day and we are delaying the big reveal to Wednesday. The good news is that I was able to completely Marie Kondo my closet today and get the entire space clean and clear for the new addition. Probably in the long run it was for the best, but I am super excited to see it and sleep in it. Also, I am sleeping on a mattress on the floor because I sold the old bed.

  • 7 years ago
    It’s here!!!!

    I’ll post more room pics later to get ideas for the rest of the space.
  • 7 years ago

    Gorgeous

  • 7 years ago

    I agree with soft and textural, but not too fluffy. Neutral colors.

  • 7 years ago

    I'm inclined to go with a sort of outdoors nature vibe, almost like you walked into a forest. I have a rug that I am bidding on that gave me that thought - as soon as I land it I will post the photo here.


    This room has no overhead lighting and no windows, so I think it lends itself to a very romantic treatment. I think there is a way to do it in a restrained way where it doesn't look like you walked into some craft project, but just more evoking natural elements. I also like the idea of this because it is, quite literally, dreamy, and I love the idea of my sleeping space being out a dream world.


  • 7 years ago

    Love it!