Software
Houzz Logo Print
ddonlin2

New beach house furniture

7 years ago
How can I incorporate some of my classic furniture in my new beach house. It’s going to be very white/grey/black and open concept - no formal DR or LR. I love some of my pieces but don’t think they fit in.

Comments (18)

  • 7 years ago
    I don't understand ...is this your old house with your beautiful classic furniture . And , you want to move and change the entire look to a black , grey and white look because it's a beach house ?
    If this is correct ..then do you want a new modern look ? I would go slow ..as you pieces are lovely ..I would make the changes in the drapes ..these curtains fit with your style now but will make a great difference if you want your furniture to blend in more with your new environment ...if you change them to a white flowing and rich fabric and then , same thing with your rug ......change it to a one colored rug , then take another look , ....or sell your furniture , just keep the ones you love the most ..and show us the space or your new house ...and where you would like the new color scheme ...it's hard to see what you would like to accomplish . ( or is this the new beach house ) ..views ? Sliding doors to the beach ..or terrace ? More pictures please and take a look at HOUZZ,s beach houses that you might like . You can always incorporate antiques or classic styles into a beach house ..it's the accessories that will make it more classic or modern ...
    Diane Donlin thanked silviakunst
  • 7 years ago
    I’m assuming you’re talking style, not size. If you love your furniture, use it. Just because the house is at the beach doesn’t mean you need to fill it with seashells, mermaids and fishing nets.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Not sure I see beach- black , white, gray unless you embellish your thought a bit. ......navy , white gray.? Will take some tweaking. I don't see the formal wood pieces. Unless perhaps a side table. Doesn't feel relaxed enough for the beach....It will need a lot of texture to avoid formality







    Diane Donlin thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Why the complete turn around in decor colors? I agree just because the house is on the beach does not really tell you what to do in the interior. If the new color sceme is what you love now then I am sorry to say but very little is going to work.Maybe tell us which pieces you are wanting to use.

    Diane Donlin thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Palm Beach, is a whole lot different than CAPE COD. Neither needs shells or sand decor. One is more accepting of some formality. Nobody gets what, where your plan, ore even the pieces to which you are very attached.

    You can mix...................light and dark. We don't know what your goal is : ) Or the feel you want,.



    Diane Donlin thanked JAN MOYER
  • 7 years ago

    Are you willing to paint your pieces? I can see some of them working with a coat of paint in that setting. Perhaps reupholster some of the chairs with your new color scheme. I can see the dining table working with paint and new chair seat covering. If you are doing a complete 180 on style then you have to look at complete change on furniture. I think that some of the side tables could work also with some paint. If you love the pieces give it a try and think outside of the box as far as placement especially with the change to having no formal space.

    Diane Donlin thanked AJ G
  • 7 years ago
    If that is furniture that you love, keep it. Especially because you may not be able to buy anything new of similar quality. While it’s fine to want to freshen things up, be authentic and true to yourself, not what trends say. You should be living in YOUR house, not someone else’s. I suggest going on Pinterest and looking for European homes, where old and new mix more easily. Reupholstering can do wonders. There is no such thing as “beach” decor, although there are indigenous solutions and architectural coherence. By that I mean solutions that are inspired by your location’s climate or naturally occurring building materials as well as your home’s orientation or your own needs for accessibility or your personal habits and taste. It is finding interesting ways to play with those factors that creat unique and exciting—and personal—spaces, not what is trendy now or what you think is “right”. Good designers will help you sift through and find the balance.
  • 7 years ago
    Are you willing to reupholster anything? Wing chairs go anywhere! Find a fabric you love and that matches your color scheme, paint the legs a fun color from the fabric. They will be new but old!
    Diane Donlin thanked golfer32
  • 7 years ago

    The fact that it’s a “beach house “ is irrelevant, my home is at the beach & it’s not decorated in a “beach“ theme. The wood pieces would look great with white & navy ( or you could use your black ). Are you planning to buy new upholstered pieces or reupholster? Think Chinoiserie, colors like that along with natural objects ( baskets, sisal , bamboo Roman shades, etc. ). I don’t think your wood furniture needs to be painted

    Don‘t make the same mistake one of my neighbors did, her house looks like a gift shop on Maui!

    Diane Donlin thanked K Laurence
  • 7 years ago

    This pix are of my current house that I am going to sell. New house is in the early stage of being built. The black and white are kitchen cabinets and I was planning to have grey walls there. I definitely plan for color throughout the house - just not sure what colors yet. House has water views and lots of windows. Im not a fan of beachy sand and shells decor. I like farmhouse style but if I do that I don’t think my furniture would fit in. I have considered reupholstering some of the chairs. I like the look of the dining table Jan sent. I had been thinking farmhouse table but this would enable me to incorporate some of my wood furniture. Thank you all for the great comments.

  • 7 years ago

    Not a Pro.


    Yes! let Jan Moyer guide you.


    That inspirational pic that she posted, would work beautifully with some of your furnishings.


    Diane Donlin thanked njmomma
  • 7 years ago
    Not a pro.

    Is this kind of the look you are after? I found this on Houzz searching gray and beach house. There is a chair like yours with a different fabric. Expensive to recover, but if you love the chairs might be worth it. Your wood pieces (side tables and buffet) could warm the space up, with the right fabrics and paint.
    Diane Donlin thanked Jen Butler
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    In the early stage of building, you hire a DESIGNER. That person can guide the feel of the house, the black and white, and which what, elements from the other house can work, along with the color issues, and the total feel you want. From each and every surface...... to maximizing layout, to ALL of it. Get the help now. Don't think you will "save" by not getting it.

    Diane Donlin thanked JAN MOYER
  • 7 years ago
    Remember that days at the beach are not always “blue skies and sunshine”. There will be plenty of gray, overcast days, and those are the days you will NEED a colorful home. Black, white and gray do not work at the beach for me. I would go for a blue color to accent white or cream paint and natural wood pieces, with spots of other colors in the mix.
    You are obviously a person who loves color, as evidenced by your current home. Don’t hesitate to use color in your beach home...take some of your favorite things with you unless you sell the current home furnished.
    Diane Donlin thanked felizlady
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I think you have some beautiful pieces that don't have to be discarded at a beach house. For example, this home is in Southampton, NY, one of the classic beach towns in the US, and decorated by the wonderful Anthony Baratta. Mixing the dark brown with lighter pine, the natural fiber rug, white painted trim and the floral wallpaper lightens the formality but is perfectly appropriate for a beach home:

    Austin Patterson Disston Architects · More Info


    Another example of Barratta's work in a beach house:

    Beach Style Hall · More Info


    And here are some ideas showing how to lighten and brighten rooms with dark 18th C. furniture. The use of bright white and blue, natural fiber rugs and window coverings, light-colored paint, pretty patterns (checks, fresh florals, stripes), and of course beautiful architectural details, are key in making that type of furniture fit in a more casual setting.

    Brentwood Regency Estate · More Info


    Vandalia · More Info


    Bountiful · More Info


    Rooms to Inspire by the Sea by Annie Kelly beach homes houses · More Info


    Banbury · More Info


    New Waterfront Home North Chatham · More Info


    Traditional Living Room · More Info


    New Waterfront Home North Chatham · More Info


    Since you are building the home, make sure that the "bones," or architectural details are correct. Make sure that the rooms are proportioned properly, the windows are correctly sized and placed and have great views. Your architect and designer can help you make the right choices. You may want to look at the work of Gil Schaefer, a very creative architect, who designs and renovates homes in an updated traditional way, for inspiration. I have 2 of his books, "A Place to Call Home," and "The Great American House." They are incredible examples of how to use traditional furniture in modern homes.

    Diane Donlin thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 7 years ago

    I thought this room was beautifully done with traditional furnishings with a modern edge by pattern and color.


    Whimsical Chicago Traditional · More Info


    Diane Donlin thanked tiffany66
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    If your wood pieces were painted in a satin finish in Black or white, or even white upholstery I am sure you could use a good deal of the pieces. In CA I see a lot of your style furniture painted in white, grey, black, or red -- Shabby Chic style in beach houses.

    But I think Navy by the water might be a better look or some blue in the rooms.

    Check out this blog for formal furniture used in a Shabby Chic beach house by "Beach Bliss Living" see her blog for some beach ideas shabbyfufublogspot.com Even though the furniture is very formal, the sofa is updated by upholstering it in white. This also goes with your Farmhouse look too.



    Diane Donlin thanked tiffany66