Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Does anyone on here grow Giant Ligularia?

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I don't recall ever seeing Giant Ligularia in San Antonio, but see it featured frequently in blogs about Austin gardens. It is said to require plenty of water. However, Pam Penick shows it in her recent blog Digging: Streetside Gardens growing along side of dry land plants in Austin.

Being a lover of large leafed plants I am wondering what your experience in growing it might be?

Comments (24)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

June, thank you so much for the photo of your plant with the dinner plate for comparison. Those are some huge leaves!

Interestiingly, Giant ligularia has been called 'the tractor seat plant'. It's easy to see why.

• MSRED Byrd
    5 years ago

Not yet. but it is beautiful! .... it may be in my future, lol.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked MSRED Byrd
  • Vulture61
    5 years ago

I doubt that ligularia is a drought tolerant plant. I suspect that is either a particular irrigation system ( dripping system close to the ligularia and away from the drought tolerant plants, perhaps?) or a particular soil with excellent drainage.

Omar

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Vulture61
  • MSRED Byrd
    5 years ago

0mar, thanks.... I will keep it well hydrated. I plan to place it in a well-drained pot, under a drain spout, to catch any welcome rain during a drought.... Otherwise, this spot is it is two feet from our patio door... hopefully it will grow for us. I have ordered it from Amazon.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked MSRED Byrd
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

I will have to remember this for my new small wet spot that I am creating with a new grey water outlet from the house that I am slowly finishing off. I wonder if it is available in Austin. Maybe at Barton Springs Nursery or the Great Outdoors. I am not ready for it right now.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • MsRed Byrd
    5 years ago

Mara,, please let us know if you find it locally. We might have to make a road trip to find one or two, we will not receive ours until... 'Arriving Feb 19 - Mar 15'. We have another area where it would do well. It is next to the patio where water runs off. That is what i love about this forum. We learn about plants we would not have known about otherwise. Thanks for the post, Ragna!

• Vulture61
    5 years ago

Yes, Barton Springs Nursery has them. I went yesterday. Beautiful but expensive:$30 (5 g. pot)

Omar

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Vulture61
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

I will not be looking for plants this year. I am in the midst of a building project and am pulling my hair out over septic and colors......

• MsRed Byrd
    5 years ago

Thanks so much, Omar. I will have to make the trip worth it and buy two! :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. Am I considering buying it IF available? New plants are always tempting. We'll see ...

• MsRed Byrd
    5 years ago

Yes, New plants.... They are so tempting..... gotta love them!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

I wonder if the flowers are bigger too.

• MsRed Byrd
    5 years ago

I was wondering the same thing, too. We will see and hope for the best. One good thing is that they are only $17 on Amazon. That includes shipping... at that price; we could do a whole flowerbed. ie, if they grow for us, lol.

• Vulture61
    5 years ago

The flowers are like 2 1/2” across.

Omar

• MsRed Byrd
    5 years ago

That works for me, not too big, not too small.......Goldilocks!

• loreleicomal
    5 years ago

A friend of m8ne in Bulverde has great success with it, has beautiful blooms but she waters it regularly. I’ve seen Shades of Green sell it.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked loreleicomal
  • MsRed Byrd
    5 years ago

Tthanks, lorelei. We won't make it to Barton Springs Nursery, afterall. We have had a family emergency. We will check 'Shades of Green'.

• bossjim1
    5 years ago

I've grown this plant for several years. It prefers some shade and lots of water. It wilts pretty bad in intense sun, but recovers nicely. Although it is called a Ligularia, along with Leopard plant, by some growers, it has been reclassified by DNA testing to Farfugium japonicum gigantea.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked bossjim1
  • Vulture61
    5 years ago

WHAT? Jim! C’mon, man, send me a PM.

Omar

• JayEmVee
    5 years ago

I live in Port Isabel, across from South Padre Island (9b-10a). My two clumps of Ligularia / Farfugium are planted one in the ground in part shade and the other in a pot under total shade. They are thirsty and swoon if ever subjected to direct sun but they've tripled in size in two years even in our ferocious summer heat and humidity. I see Plant Delights has some interesting but pricy varieties...

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked JayEmVee
  • MsRed Byrd
    5 years ago

Are Ligularia / Farfugium the same plant? i received an update to my order... Ligularia / Farfugium saying that they would include a leopard plant.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    5 years ago

I grew this is Dallas and it required ALOT of water to maintain.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • MsRed Byrd
    5 years ago

This is the other area where water tends to pond. It is filled with water when it rains and it gets morning sun but shade in the PM. Hope the plants will do well in their new home ;-)

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked MsRed Byrd
Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus