Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mila_kopcsik

Flooring / stairwell dilemma

Mila
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have a design question ideally for a professional but all feedback is welcome. I recently had old carpeting removed from my stairwell and upstairs hall. The oak stair treads are currently being stained with 5 coats of Jacobean; Jacobean stained oak wood will also be used on the landing "on the turn", as the stairs are u-shaped. The risers will be painted white (unless someone would recommend continuing the stain on the risers as well). The issue is with the upstairs hallway. For the sake of continuity, I had planned to continue the downstairs flooring in the upstairs hall, as the hall is open to and looks down upon the two story entry foyer. When I purchased the house, the previous owners had placed Shaw Maverick 7 engineered wood in Antique Gold throughout the downstairs. I prefer dark wood floors but I’m concerned that, if I purchase oak wood for the upstairs hall and stain it Jacobean to match the stair treads and landing it won’t look right based on the downstairs flooring, which, again, is visible when looking over the banister from the upstairs hall. I guess I’m approaching it as though the “stairs” are metaphorically the “bridge” between the upstairs and the downstairs and so I can get away with a darker stain on the stair treads (i.e. the Jacobean) but not the flooring in the upstairs hall. Not sure if its of any relevance but I’m also having a very simple wrought iron banister (i.e. only two horizontal lines at top and bottom...open in between) fabricated for the railing that will be powder black (it will "pop" more with the lighter engineered wood but might look "sharper" against a darker stained wood). Any guidance would be appreciated as sadly I’m losing sleep over these decisions. I don't want to regret my decision and have to spend more money down the line to "fix" it.

Comments (11)

• acm
    5 years ago

As long as all the woods coordinate tonally (so that the juxtaposition doesn't make one or another look very orange or very yellow, say), they can be different colors. For that matter, small differences in color between floors are unlikely to be picked up by the average eye.

Mila thanked acm
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago

So many concerns

FIVE coats of stain? Recipe for polyurethane bonding issues

Only two horizontal bars on new handrails? Sounds like a code violation

To your question, one kind of flooring everywhere makes a house seem larger and more harmonious (excluding bathrooms etc)

Mila thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Mila
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for your insight and for responding so quickly. I'm attaching some photos, as the colors are rather different. Its difficult to see from the picture of the stairs before the carpeting and old railing was removed but the flooring has dark knots in it that the Jacobean stain mimic and compliments nicely (the existing wood floor also appears a bit lighter in this picture than it does in reality) The second picture is a sample of the tread stained in the Jacobean.

Suffice it to say, it would make for a dark contrast upstairs in the hall. Looking down from the upstairs hall it looks fine and "blends", just as you suggested, its looking down from the landing on the turn that I'm concerned won't make for a "cohesive" look

• Mila
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's an inspiration pic from which the stair railing is being fabricated in black wrought iron (there will be glass in between so its not a code violation). Can you elaborate as to the potential polyurethane bonding issues? I apologize for my ignorance but would appreciate you putting this in to context for me

• bichonbabe
    5 years ago
    Sorry , but I’m a firm believer that wood flooring should match with in a house. Otherwise, it doesn’t flow and looks chopped up.
    Mila thanked bichonbabe
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago

First coat of stain sinks into the wood and blocks the pores. The next four coats sit on top. Polyurethane is applied and bonds to the top coat of stain. Floor dries. At some point in the future polyurethane starts to peel off the floor in sheets. Heartache ensues.

I am not anti dark floors as my floors are almost black (every scratch and fleck of dust shows) but you need to buy a stain that is the correct color with one application so the poly can bond to something.

Mila thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • A Fox
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

In general I believe that wood floors should coordinate though out a house, but the stairs are an exception to that rule as a special feature. In historic houses for instance when the floors were typically oak, the stair treads would often match the wall trim in wood species and color rather than the rest of the floors. I think the same can be applied to new designs.

I think your two woods can go together as the dark stain picks up the dark tones in your wood floor. But I would caution as mentioned above especially on a stair where there are many edges that can be caught that you may find that scratches are pretty prominent and will need to be touched up.

Mila thanked A Fox
  • Mila
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I SOOO appreciate all the advice, although now I have a whole new set of reservations. I've attached a picture of the kitchen, as the house is what I would consider transitional. There are definitely traditional elements but also what I guess I would consider modern farmhouse as the wall to the right in the kitchen picture, for instance, is ship lap.

• Sandra Martin
    5 years ago

I really like your style. But I’m not sure about choice of Jacobean as I think the pros are right, you need consistency in your flooring. Make your stair railing the show stopper, it sounds lovely.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    5 years ago

You don't need five coats of jacobean to achieve the look you want. You need the right process. Your finisher does not know about water popping. I would look for a new finisher.