Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persimmonbob

Back to basics!

Monyet
5 years ago

Start the year a little early with repotting, actually downpotting some and uppotting some.Sofar did four, 4 to go. Went from 25 gl to 20 squats, tree was to big to shoehorn into a 15. Uppotted 3 tree's from 5 to 15 gl. Some of the 15 gls were only filled halve way.

You guys were showing your nice flower collection, well here is a picture of my flower eaters.

Comments (13)

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

So pretty Bob!! I love your trees and haircut. Mr. Bluejay is not bad either. I love bluejays! So glad to see your post!

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Very good work, Bob, reminds me that I have to up pot most of my trees!

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hope to have all my potting done by the end of the month. I have been adding a few things to my potting mix, here i am adding small pieces of rope from a mop. The idea here is to bring the overflow from watering back to the top, saucer stays dry.

There is a improve version in the works, the new one will be 48" long. Birds will be fed till February, then the insect eaters going to be on their own.

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Persimmonbob, I just noticed all the dear in that picture! You have yourself a zoo back there. Beautiful. Also, I have to wait until spring to see a Cardinal! Sp pretty against the snow.

Bob, what's 'Volcanite'? Is it pieces of lava? Wow if so.

Are you worried about salts getting sucked back up into the mix?

Great job and great lookng trees.

Mike

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My wife gets a kick out of watching so many birds and animals in the yards. That birdfeeder has as many as 29 birds on and of during the day. The deers as much as a dozen, i can get as close to about 10 feet from some of them before they move away a few feet at a time. I feed them corn when i rattle the coffee can they will show up with in 10 minutes.

Volcanite is just pumice, what it does i do not know yet. I am looking at less weight, good drainage but not too good, that why i 'm trying to make sure that fertilized excess water somehow get back to the top. My tree's demand top priority and i am just a poor slave.

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

I love watching birds. Hopefully the squirrels, yes over sized fury rats aren‘t too much of a bother.ha

Nice Bob and thank you.

Mike

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

I had to stop feeding the birds because of the rats in my yard. I miss them so much! Once I'm comfortable that the rat problem is under control, I may start again with one feeder. Nice job Bob! I love seeing the photos of your huge trees loaded with fruit!

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mike tree rats don't really like my property, i thin them out year around. No change for them to multiply. My brother ruger takes care of them.

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Got another chance to uppot tree no4, the others are doing great, like it never happened.

A few more, be done for citrus.

Steve, kumquat tree out of the garage for some sunshine with my wife favorite rose.

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Bob, looking god! Not only do your trees loook great but so the view. I see the lake through the trees. It looks like such a peaceful warm day with the that cute dog. I see all the blooms too all over those trees. Wow. They must smell really good. Are they all inside now?

Mike

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mike, when temps are in the fifties, I open the garage door and the French door for cross ventilation, from 10 to 4 pm. Smell can be overpowering.

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    5 years ago

Ha ha ha, o my! :))