Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_802984259

vinyl plank flooring

Hi I'm looking on reviews on vinyl plank flooring. We are doing a new build and have 2 small children and 2 labs, so we are looking for something durable. I looked at this flooring today and want to know if anyone has installed it or any reviews on how it's holding up.

Comments (13)

• Ron Natalie
    5 years ago

We have Mannington Ardura throughout the lowest level (except inside the wine cellar which is cork) and in the kitchen and masterbath. We've only been in a year, but it still looks good. This is even in the home gym where some pretty heavy equipment was moved across it and where I was doing some waterproofing work with epoxy and ended up having to clean up spills on it with acetone...

• a13xxa
    5 years ago

We just installed Flooret Modin in Arbor and love it.

• Michelle MacDougall
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    can you purchase that brand in Ontario?
  • 3pinktrees
    5 years ago

We put in Karndean Knight Tile in whitewashed oak. We live on a hobby farm and have six kids. The flooring has been in about 4 years now and still looks fabulous. We're really happy with the decision. We ended up putting vinyl plank all through our basement as well. I would not hesitate to do it again. I love hardwood, but with a farm-dirty, busy lifestyle and super high foot traffic the vinyl plank has been a perfect fit.

• Michelle MacDougall
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    3pinktrees thank you. I will look into that type of flooring. I looked it up and there's many local flooring stores that sell that brand. Do you mind me asking how much a square foot it typically is? and did you have someone professional to install it ? I love the light oak color !
  • Migraine Craftsman
    5 years ago

Michelle MacDougall I think Vinyl is a great choice for what you described. I personally use vinyl in my homes and maybe some tile in wet areas. It's great on durability, easy to clean and easy to install. Depends what you get those floors also can be very quiet, hope that help you a bit.

• Michelle MacDougall
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @migrainecraftsman thank you. I've been doing some research but I'm struggling to find a brand that has all good reviews without breaking the bank. Any recommendations?
  • Migraine Craftsman
    5 years ago

I personally use SHAW, its about $2 a square foot, I install it my self so labor is a non issue for me. It's not the best of most expensive but I love it, used it a bunch of times no issues at all. If you get the better stuff expect to pay $3 to $4 a square foot but it will be thicker and maybe have built in padding.

At the store

Finished product, installed. I build budget/humble homes nothing fancy.

• Migraine Craftsman
    5 years ago

mojomom that looks awesome, all of it, love how the light bounces of the ceiling , the collar ties/beams floor and the color scheme, winner winner chicken dinner lol nicelly done

• Michelle MacDougall
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    migraine craftsman where do you buy Shaw flooring?
  • 3pinktrees
    5 years ago

I’m not sure the average cost— I think we paid between $2 and $3 a sq ft. I hunted for the Best price. My husband and I installed it ourselves. It’s not very difficult if you like DIY.

Everyone who comes in comments on how much they love the floor. It doesn’t look like vinyl and hides dirt very well (which is good for how many people are in our small house).