Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petrushka_gw

begonia rex NOID

petrushka (7b)
5 years ago

perhaps you can point me in the direction of some similar rexes?

so far I only found B. rex 'Rocheart' that has similar 'snow' - very fine dots on the leaves. but it's much larger and spirals and has pink flush too. this one has a bright silver area midleaf and no no pink whatsoever. I think it's medium to small sized, but can't be sure.

Comments (29)

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

Looks young to be able to ID it plus there seems to be a million rexes these days. Is this one from Exotic Angels/Costa Farms? If so, you might be lucky to find it on their website but I seriously doubt they keep it up to date.

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

nope, I got this at an orchid fair and I did not take the name of the booth, so no idea about the vendor..but she was just minding the booth, didn't know the names of cultivars anyway..though most vendors were from large nurseries...

got 2 B. masoniana from her too. she had some gorgeous large rexes, but I can't take large plants - have to take them back to NY..

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I got Harmony's Hearts Desire- very pretty. that's from a diff vendor north of Apopka. he said he's at Harmony's almost ev week. so it's direct from them. hopefully without mildew this time :).

couldn't get Fire breathing dragon - they had only a very large one. said they grow them in 6" pots only, since they just don't grow well in 4" - need more root space. that's interesting: I have my dragon from last year with me in FL :) - it dropped last leaf in dec..I wonder, should I wait for some leaves to plop it in 6" pot ? kinda scary:I prefer to grow them in very small pots initially - afraid of rot! but it's an interesting observation . it's still sitting in it's original 3.5" pot.

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

Keep them in a small pot for now. Move up after they grow some leaves.

I have a FBD I got at our local nursery which of course had to get it from Harmony by some route. I added two other red rexes in the same large clay pot and they've grown very well - in their second winter now and new leaves look really good.

Unfortunately I do not move plants out for pictures in winter. Too much hassle so what I see is what I shoot. Another reason I don't like taking in pots of plants to meetings or flower shows - it disrupts that space and the plants.

Even Escargot is growing like gangbusters (second winter after a horrible summer due to too much shade).

3 different white/silver rex like begonias

a few canes

some starter rhizomatous

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

when I complained that mine do great in FL light, but decline in NYC even in summer, the grower said that any grow light will do wonders for them.

so I am finally looking into setting up some lights for a couple of shelves in a few months to use even in summer. I don't have much space, but I can set up a couple of shelves for 1 dozen plants. that should help, as otherwise am seriously frustrated with them :)…

..I swore not to get any more, and yet got 5 new! my 2 biggest well doing rhizomatous suddenly collapsed in sep and my big glorious cane 'cracked ice' had to be restarted completely after last winter and will take 2 years to get back to what it was. I have a lot of other plants that don't have problem like that ;).

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

HAHA! Sounds like it is time to throw them out. It can be frustrating until you learn the trick to make them grow.

I don't use grow lights per se but do use shop lights - cheap lights.

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

> From all looks of the begonia, it may b a juvenile Fireworks or a sport from it.

oh! I I actually got Fireworks too finally! it has much bigger brighter leaves overall. and almost no 'snow' . but it does look similar. i'll post some comparative pics of leaves later. Fireworks looks like it is glazed almost - almost ceramic. I love it!

• Justin
    5 years ago

hc mcdole: The Costa Farms website doesn't have pictures of everything we grow yet --- but I do add new photos each time I get a plant sample to photograph. I think I'm only missing a couple of our Rex varieties. I don't recognize the one above --- it's not one of ours. Hope this helps? ---Justin, Costa Farms Horticulturist

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

Thank you Justin. I think it would be a great benefit for all your customers to include photos and names to your plants when you can, as soon as you can.

I am not sure which one you do not recognize? The very first photo by petrushka? If so, it was pure speculation on my part of where the plant came from. I pick up a lot of begonias and other Exotic Angel plants at both Lowe's and Walmart when they strike my fancy. I'd rather buy the plant first and find a name later. Lesson learned from past mistakes - if I passed on a plant because I didn't know it and come back a day or more later to buy the unknown, it is usually gone by a smarter shopper who cares not a whit about names.

here is one from India (Scott McMahan brought this back from his trip to the 7 sister states of India). No name (yet) but who am I to turn down this beauty?

• Justin
    5 years ago

Hi hc mcdole: None of the begonias in this thread are from Costa Farms, unfortunately. Though I'd love to see us add more to our mix!

I am adding to the website as I can. I understand the value and importance! I wish I had the resources to do it faster.

---Justin, Costa Farms Horticulturist

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

Yeah, I know Justin that the ones I posted are mainly from Harmony Foliage and ones I picked up at conventions and other online stores are not from Costa Farms. Just went out on a limb for the very first begonia that was unknown and still remains that way.

Is this one of yours?

This was from Lowe's and believe it is your Rumba?

another beauty

here is another one

what about this one?

and this one?

a couple more

two in this shot

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

the 2nd from last is either 'Red Heart' or 'Regal Minuet' : I got one like that at lowe's last month and have been trying to ID it.

when grown in lower light the leaves have no red, and are kind of muddy looking: the color change from grey to brown-bronze is blurred. but once I put it in part sun (very bright in Miami FL at the moment) it quickly reddened.

from the searches online I found the changes like on mine on 'Regal Minuet', but 'Red Heart' is always red on pics...otherwise they look very similar to me.

here's a pic of mine with various stages of red in them (1month growth)

and here the youngest reddest leaves coming - day-glow!

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

New leaves are always redder it seems. The older ones just fade over time and then start the process all over again. Too many rexes these days to ID - bummer? You are probably right on the name though.

I usually label my photos as rex unless I know for certain what the name is

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

wow, that last one is a zinger! how can it be so-o green?! or it's just a photo-effect?

I've seen pics of 'Regal Minuet' day-glow red thru and thru - no grey-green areas at all. I hope to get rid of mine in 2months of FL sun :). i'm putting them outside on the balcony as it gets even warmer: next 10 days nights in the mid60s days about 75-78F. unbelievable, especially in view of what's happening 'up-north'.

• Justin
    5 years ago

petrushka: That looks like one of our Exotic Angel Plants hanging basket hangers, so I'm guessing it's one of ours. In that case, it's probably 'Red Tango' as we don't grow 'Red Minuet' or 'Red Heart' in hanging baskets.

And feel free to ignore if you transplanted it into this basket.

I hope this helps!

petrushka (7b) thanked Justin
  • petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

so I searched for 'Red Tango' and it has a faint light-grey-green outline between the red and edge - and mine has it too. so it looks like a match. 'Regal Minuet' does not have it on totally red leaves. But I don't see any pics with muddy older leaves like mine. or plain no pink leaves. if it's just the amount of light, there's bound to be a pic or 2 like that.

But 'Regal minuet' has this mix of leaves.

when I went to look at EAP rexes - I see 'Red Kiss' (which looks totally like 'Red Heart' to me :)), but no 'Red Tango'.

it doesn't really matter to me, but how anybody can distinguish between cultivars, when they are so close in appearance?

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I see 'Yamileth' on EAP - but it looks totally like 'Fireworks' and I don't see 'Yamileth' anywhere else to be able to compare. there's one pic at Taylor - but it does look different from 'Fireworks' and they are not sure in any case of the name...

• Justin
    5 years ago

I'm afraid we stopped growing Yamileth before I got here --- so I can't speak to that one. I have a note out to our growers about the differences between 'Red Kiss' and 'Red Tango'.

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

my 'Red Tango' started growing red leaves only when I put it in partial sun in south FL: very bright direct sun light for sev hours (East windows), and later in the day I put it out on balcony in shade for the rest of the day.

so it's not because the leaves are young, but because it's now growing in super bright light. I keep removing the old leaves a few at a time to get rid of all of them: I don't like them at all. clipped a couple of tips to root too.

there's more and hotter sun now : in the low 80F: and I am keeping it in the shade of a chair on southern balcony. allowing some partial direct sun in the morning and it is producing neon bright red leaves.

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

I have my plants under lights 12 hours a day so they are unaffected by the natural day length but they have put on lots of new growth so far (middle of Feb). Some will probably crash and start again though as I've seen this in the past, perhaps by giving them a dose of fertilizer so I am trying to avoid that practice this winter.

From yesterday

'Shaun's Dream' (or Fantasy?)

'Indian Summer'

3 red rexes with 'Fire Breathing Dragon' in the middle. You cannot see the other red one since it is on the other side of the pot.

Unknown for now

Probably 'Merry Christmas'?

'Purple Curl'

'Green Dreams'

'Escargot'

'Judy Cook'

My Kroger rex buy last year has put out new leaves and blooms after being totally leafless for a couple of weeks.

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

gorgeous! I've noticed my other begonia rex that I brought from NY and put in eastern light in Miami indoors immediately produced 2 huge leaves with lots of pink.

it's from leaf of B. 'Philip Seiden'.

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

what is the 6th one from top: white and burgundy spiral? right before bright green one.

I see it at Logees. is it B. 'Super Curl'?

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

Hmmm, never heard of 'Philip Seiden'. Time for them to wake up and start growing. I like your variegata.

That is 'Purple Curl' which does have some resemblance to 'Super Curl'. Rexes with curls do add some interest.

Here are a few I took out of their hidey hole yesterday to get their snapshots with new leaves while removing the older ugly leaves or trying to hide them in the pictures.

'Silver Collar' (PHOE intro which I assume Judy Cook might be a parent)

I think this is 'Betsy' but not sure, another PHOE intro.

I believe this is 'Fairy'

'Deco Deviltry' (another PHOE hybrid)

and 'Silver Beauty' which is more popular than 'Silver Collar'

Maybe one year they will look similar to my 'Judy Cook' which is huge and easy to grow.

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love those silver ones! but I love the purple-silver curls even more :)!

>>Hmmm, never heard of 'Philip Seiden'. Time for them to wake up and start growing

Longwood sells all kinds of starter begonias in small pots: never know what they will put out for sale. they have 'Philipp Seiden' and 'Iron cross' and 'tiger kitten' and a bunch of others very pretty 'Autumn' something or other..the color of blazing fall leaves.

it's listed here as Phil seiden

well, my little starter produced those pink leaves in December! and is going strong. of course, winter is the main growing season in So FL. so I am not surprised. I read some posts from FL growers that their rhizomatous and rexes do not go into dormancy in winter.

when we visited PHOE in dec-jan of course they had plenty of begonias rhizomatous and rexes in greenhouses growing fine. The caladiums grow here in winter too, but those do go dormant for a few months even here. but they plant them out for winter season, not summer season. it's all reversed.

I brought several barely alive rhizomes from last year purchase. they had like 1 leaf left..2 have woken up and have several small leaves going. am waiting on 2 more: harmony's fire dragon and possible kartuz 'Pandora'. I see small buds forming.

Harmony's "Raspberry Beret' was the largest past summer and it is doing best with regrowth. Harmony's 'Xmass Eve' was the smallest but with most leaves and it held them thru fall, never went dormant. So it added new leaves here at a double pace!

I bought new rex variety last june with huge leaves 'Paso Doble' . it grew a couple smaller leaves, bloomed and then in sep all leaves slowly withered, starting from the edges. the rhizome is firm, but I forgot it! left it in a tented shell up north for a couple of months. convinced DH to fly it in for resque :). that's my greatest wish for wake-up :). it has 2 buds. it'll have another month of 'plant spa' and then it's going back north ;)...but I have very good light in april-may indoors: so it should continue to grow. but it's been dormant for 6 mo now!

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

Thanks Petrushka about Phil Seiden. Totally new to me but then I suppose there are many things I have not seen or heard of before (gasp!)

I like that Paso Doble but waiting for it to show up in local stores.

If you are on FB, look at Harmony's newest rex and Steve's Leaves. GORGEOUS!

No name on SL's begonia yet - he is asking for viewers for suggestions.

And Harmony.

https://www.facebook.com/harmonybegonias/

This is the newest one they posted.

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

WOW! that's just breath-taking :)!

being in Miami a lot (but NOT in aug-sep-oct...no way!) i'd name the spotted one 'Category 6' ;)...I would try to visit Harmony's greenhouses..but they are wholesale nursery only...so..not possible!

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I got my B rex "Paso Doble" in a bot garden shop, but it was from NH growers

dscolegrowers - they are wholesalers. but I see it on Logees this year. I think it's a new hybrid, so big boxes won't carry it. i'm thinking of ordering a few rhizos from them in april, as I mourn my 'Wild Pony'...:(..It did fantastically in Miami and collapsed over summer in NY.

i'm coveting "China Curl" and "Frances Valentine" too :).

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

Too many to keep up with but they are all worthy to try.