Software
Houzz Logo Print
annielee50

Tv placement

7 years ago
Hi to all! I have always received such good advice from this site and enjoy all the great ideas. :)
I would like to move the TV from above the fireplace to the left of the fireplace. It is a little high for the room. And I am just ready for it not to be such a focal point. The space in the corner dictates the size of a tv stand. I have looked at various TV benches, cabinets, corner pieces and even console tables. I can angle a piece slightly, completely align it diagonally with the corner or let it extend on from the brick wall to the corner in a straight line. I was thinking of mounting the TV on a tabletop stand that adjusts in height and swivels. I might entertain mounting it on the wall just above what ever type of stand or bench we get which allows us to manuever when we watch TV We will be replacing the oversize chair sitting closest to the corner with a smaller swivel style chair. I would love some input on placement in this corner for the TV. Thank you!

Comments (37)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Can we see the full room and what other furniture is in there? Instead of cramming the TV into that small space I'd lose the oversized recliner and put the TV on a low console on that small wall.

    annielee50 thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • 7 years ago
    Thanks. That is a good suggestion. I hate to lose the whole wall to the TV. And I hate to lose seating as we do entertain and host family functions. Also my husband primarily watches TV from the couch. These pictures are from behind the couch that backs up to the railing for the stairs

    We have a pretty open concept with the kitchen and dining area but are a little restricted in furniture placement because of the fixed features like the fireplace and the stairway.
  • 7 years ago
    These are some TV stands and units I am considering.
  • 7 years ago

    Agree with Sina. You're going to lose that whole wall anyway if you use a corner TV stand. That wall doesn't look to be wide/long enough to have that oversized chair and tv stand/tv on it without moving/removing the chair.

    annielee50 thanked iamtiramisu
  • 7 years ago
    I like to make a mockup of a new piece of furniture, etc., when I can. :)
    These are three shots with the "TV" directly diagonal of the corner, slightly angled and then against the wall. These shots are from sitting on the corner of the couch.
  • 7 years ago

    If you feel you have to move it, then I would get some sort of piece of furniture (not an angled one, but a regular rectangular table) for the wall next to the fireplace and then angle the TV on an adjustable stand (not the furniture it's on) as needed. And then that brown love seat needs to be removed. There is not enough room in that space for that. And then pull your couch away from the banister and into the center of the room closer to the TV. Get a real coffee table and run it the other way (with the couch). You have too many pieces in that room to have two little seats as a coffee table. And then DECLUTTER. You have too many little knick knack things that are only making the room seem even smaller. Get one or two decorative objects for the mantel and remove everything else on that fireplace. And remove the wall picture with that green wreath next to it If I were you, I would seriously consider painting that red brick fireplace. You would jump that rooms 20 years forward if you painted that.

  • 7 years ago
    Thanks for the insight. I think the recliner is blocking the view for the corner, literally! :-). I switched out the chair so you can see the area better. not sure what kind of swivel chair we will buy but sure that it won't be any bigger than this one. It will only be used to watch TV when the living room is full of grandchildren. Lol
    The wall is almost 8 feet long. Here are some new shots.
  • 7 years ago

    Yes, a shallow cabinet or console table in that space would do the trick. Consider checking Craigslist for something as well. Look how nice this antique looks. Since you have red oak trim, floor, and kitchen cabinets, all visible when you take in the view, then get a cabinet with that finish or just plain white to match the mantel. You want to bring in something that harmonizes with what you already have so they all "speak" to each other. Your first choice is closer to your other wood finishes. But white would be fine too since your mantel is white.

    Bergen Street Residence · More Info


    What do you have planned for over the fireplace? A long horizontal landscape in browns, blues, and purples and reds would pull the eye away from the TV screen and would tie in the colors of the brown sofa, blue rug, brick red fireplace, purple chairs. Then take everything else off the mantel.


    Seasons Trees Triptic- Large, Original By Jean7Art, Art · More Info

    Try the room without the big chair before you get another one. That will greatly balance out thhe sofa. You have comfortable dining chairs that can be pressed into service for extra seating when company comes over. The room will feel much better without another armchair. If your TV console is just high enough, then put the purple chairs flanking the fireplace to give the room a conversational grouping--even cozier than you have now.


    Alternatively, move your sofa in front of the windows, assuming they're not low windows, but with some space behind it. Move a much wider, but slim console to the wall facing the window for your TV. Have the purple chairs facing the fireplace where the sofa is now. That would give the room an airier feel. The sofa is almost a barrier to the living room the way it is now. In either case, get a round coffee table up on legs to put in the middle of your conversational grouping--something in the reddish wood, but smaller, and definitely up on legs to balance out the sofa. Or round, double coffee table you can pull out as needed.


    Bseid Nesting Coffee Tables With Slat Wood Top and Metal Tube Base, Set of 2 · More Info



    Okay, more unsolicited advice for future tweaks. You have way too many colors going on in your open space, which gives it a bit of a chopped up feeling--green kitchen walls, blue rug, purple chairs, brown sofa, beige walls in living room, red fireplace. Down the road, consider painting the kitchen area walls the same beige as your living room. As you bring in new pieces, ask yourself if they harmonize with colors and finishes you already have?

    annielee50 thanked housegal200
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Move the TV against that wall, flat. Angled furniture is a last resort, IMO it makes the room feel crowded and screams that you lack space. The just swap the location of the sofa and the two arm chairs. I think the recliner just needs to go and not be replaced.

    annielee50 thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • 7 years ago

    Can't resist some horizontal art work for over the fireplace in purples, dark reds, blues, brown.



    Separate question:

    How old are your grandchildren? If they're not cuddling on the sofa, can you get them some beanbag chairs you can pull out when they come over for TV watching?


    annielee50 thanked housegal200
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, each one. I appreciate the suggestions and ideas. It is eye opening to see your space through others' eyes. Your inspiration has given me courage and I removed the oversized recliner and rearranged the couch and purple chairs. It feels quite different....but SPACIOUS! :) The furniture we have was bought for a larger living room in a prior house. I knew it was a matter of time before we needed to replace it. I have been shopping to replace the purple chairs for a while now. When I tried the couch in front of the windows before, with the chairs or recliner across from it, it felt like it shrunk the room as the pieces came into the center.





    My only hesitation to leave it this way is that we often have 2 or 3 other couples over and with seating now only on 2 sides of the room, it is less easy for conversation. I plan to replace the two square black ottomans with a larger round one that could double as seating. I guess I have to determine whether giving the tv the entire wall/corner space outweighs more seating space. These kinds of decisions make me question our choice to downsize! :)


    You're right, Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design - Angled furniture definitely takes more space.


    cpaul1 - thank you for your insight. I like the idea of one or two items on the mantle and then clear. We debated on painting the brick, but I'm just not a fan of painted brick.


    housegal200 - love your art ideas! Will definitely look for similar pieces. Have a wide variety of ages for gkids..... age 4, 11, 15, 18 and 23 (she married 2 years ago, graduated from nursing school right before Christmas and is presenting us with a great grandbaby in August! so the young ones are still coming) :)


    Now that I've rearranged the space, and the size/shape of the tv console won't be an issue, what would I do for the wall above the tv? and the small wall adjacent to the fireplace? My ceiling height is the normal height of 8 feet.


    Thank you all again. I am always grateful when you take the time to give a perspective and suggestions.

  • 7 years ago

    Oh, wow! That looks just great. One thing to do is pull the purple chairs closer to your current coffee table and sofa. Angle the chairs a bit.

    Here's an article about ideal dimensions for furniture spacing that works in different rooms. These numbers really work. People feel most comfortable at certain speaking distances, certain distances to put a drink down on a the coffee tableYour room is already comfortable feeling.

    https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/dimensions-to-follow-proper-furniture-spacing-basics-149156

    Just pull chairs from other rooms when people come over.

    Do you have room for a simple, straight bench to put against the railing at the entryway.?You can poach it for gatherings.



    Or get a slim entrway table and put your ottomans under there to pull out as needed.

    For your new TV wall, here are some ways to arrange it--long, low console with some of your existing art around it.

    I imagine you probably downsized from a bigger house. When you go furniture shopping again, look up articles about the right proportions for the room you have. I like how you did the cardboard cutout for the TV, same thing for a future couch. Also don't get one with a high back since you'll want to get maximum light from the window. Just come back to Houzz when you're ready to change some of the furnishings. Again, everything new should harmonize with your kitchen cabinets, flooring, carpeting, wall color. A beautiful large art work that you love is a great place to find the palette for your room.


    annielee50 thanked housegal200
  • 7 years ago
    If you have 3 couples over you need seating for 8. Before you had seating for 5. Now you have seating for 4 and room for 4 dining chairs. That's better, not worse.

    It looks great. Good job!
    annielee50 thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    You don't need anything on the wall over the TV. Get a TV stand that takes up most of the wall. Get a small chair, even a swivel for the corner of the fireplace.

    annielee50 thanked groveraxle
  • 7 years ago

    And get a TV stand with closed storage. Open storage just makes the room look cluttered.

    annielee50 thanked groveraxle
  • 7 years ago

    Housegal200 - thank you so much for the great tips and ideas. love the bench suggestion. thank you!


    Cluedin - thank you


    groveraxle - what a great visual! It changes everything when you can see the idea. thank you for taking the time to put this together.


    You all have been very helpful and I do appreciate it

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    We think Grover has a nice idea with using a TV console on that wall. Something like this from one of our designs might look nice:


    annielee50 thanked MARGARITA BRAVO
  • 7 years ago

    Hi everyone! Wanted to solicit your advice again. We have made a couple of changes in the living room and after multiple different layouts, have decided the TV is best above the fireplace. ( I am loving the whitewashed fireplace brick! ))

    I removed the chair and a half recliner and pulled in a couple of bedroom chairs to fill the space. I am now shopping for two new chairs to replace those. Keeping the purple chairs for now. I want both of these new chairs to be swivels for optimal ability to turn towards the TV or turns towards the couch which are opposite of each other. I am leaning toward medium gray but thinking maybe I need a pattern for these two chairs. Eventually the purple chairs and the brown couch will probably be upgraded to grays also. Advice on color for the chairs? Pattern or no pattern for the chairs?



  • 7 years ago

    I am sorry but the yellow chair on the left side that sticks out over the doorway is just too much. If you took it a way, would you have room for a small end table to sit visitors coffee on? Room looks inviting.....not sure I agree with TV over the fireplace but if you like it...that is fine.

  • 7 years ago
    Put St. Television on a swing arm: no console.
  • 7 years ago

    I think two chairs is too many so I only added one. I thought your floor lamp a little clunky, so I exchanged it for a task lamp. And I notice you forgot the art, so I added some.


  • 7 years ago

    Really love the whitewashed brick! Have you tried moving the two purple chairs in front of the window with a side table in between? Then you could place your swivel chair in the corner in front of or next to the lamp.



  • 7 years ago

    Is the sofa still hugging the bannister? It seems so far back...

  • 7 years ago

    The room is looking much better. I suggest you take down the wreath. It makes the decor look dated.

  • 7 years ago

    Erinsean - thank you. The room is inviting. :). The tv location is what started my post, above. After many trials and considering our tv and conversation habits, I've come to terms with the tv above the fireplace. The yellow chair and beige chair are borrowed from bedrooms and are the ones I'm replacing.


    Jbtanyderi - the tv is on a swing arm and we can position it as we need to. Thanks.


    groveraxle - thanks again for a great rendering. :) when it comes time for art, this idea will be a great place to start.


    jwill11 - thanks! here are the purple chairs together in front of the windows. It is one of the arrangements for them that we like.


    Amanda Smith - thanks! I moved the couch in from the bannister about 12 inches. It definitely feels more cozy. Any more space and I create a new awkward space behind the couch! Lol.


    in living with only one chair toward the corner made the chairs arrangements feel distant. Conversation was awkward. We definitely need 4 chairs and there is plenty of room for them and tables to service them. Putting two swivel chairs in those positions allow those sitting there to easily see the tv or participate in conversation.


    Any thoughts about whether gray pattern chairs would look ok? Possibly light color fabric?









  • 7 years ago

    Erinsean - thank you. This post all started with the TV location. After many different trials and considering our TV and conversation habits, I am at peace with the TV being above the fireplace. There is a comfortable amount of room for all four chairs and tables to service them.


    jbtanyderi - thanks. The TV is on a swing arm and we can maneuver it where ever we need it to be.


    groveraxle - thanks, once again. Your rendering makes it all look so different. When it comes time for art, this idea will be a great place to start.


    jwill11 - . We are also really liking the white wash brick. It really lightened things up. Here's a picture of the purple chairs in front of the window. That is one of the arrangements we like to do with them


    Amanda Smith - I did move the couch out from the banister about 12 inches. It does make it feel more cozy. Don't think I could move it any further, or I will create an awkward space behind the couch! LOL


    After living with only one chair in the corner by the fireplace, we had some friends visiting and that chair was too far away from the conversation. I had to scoot it In. We definitely need 4 chairs and there is a comfortable amount of room for them all and still have some tables to service them. I am leaning toward gray chairs.




    Should they have a bold print? Or a light colored fabric?


  • 7 years ago

    I think your rug and curtains are just the right amount of pattern for the room. I would not add a pattern on the chairs. I really like the color of the yellow chair with the purple and blue. That's why I put a yellow chair in the rendering. I would look for two matching barrel swivel chairs in a buttery yellow.

    annielee50 thanked groveraxle
  • 7 years ago

    Looking good! I would pull the sofa up closer if you can, leaving enough room for entry (about 36 in.) Place a throw over the back of the sofa to soften the effect.

    annielee50 thanked Amanda Smith
  • 7 years ago

    If you are keeping the sofa, I wouldn’t get gray chairs. I like the yellow.

  • 7 years ago
    Take measurements of the fireplace and firebox height. Your tv appears to be the right size for that corner, so buy a cabinet or cart which will have the tv top somewhat higher than the firebox top so the two black rectangles are varied. When you replace the chair, the arms should be lower than the bottom of the tv so they won’t block Hubby’s view.
  • 7 years ago

    following

  • 7 years ago

    A round glass coffee table would be nice.

  • 7 years ago

    And a tree in the left corner by the fireplace and a large piece of artwork on the left wall as in Groveraxle‘s rendering.

  • 7 years ago

    Hi, didnt see the pic with the 2 purple chairs in front of the window:)

  • 6 years ago

    Hi everyone it has been a year since I started this post and I have made a few changes. Thank you for all the great suggestions. The large beige recliner is gone. I have purchased two gray swivel chairs. I white washed the brick around the fireplace as suggested. I really like it. Only one purple chair left and plan to replace it sometime this year.

    I am still dealing with this corner. Made the decision to leave the TV above the fireplace. Would like more space for display of photos, books etc. I am considering a tall bookshelf to the left of the fireplace. Or a console table on the wall between the chair and the fireplace wall. Would a shorter bookcase look better? Possibly add a bookcase and then a coffee table? Or would that look too crowded? Thanks again for any suggestions.

  • 6 years ago

    Here are a couple more angles. I did reduce The seating to just three chairs. I really like the medium gray fabric I chose. Not sure what will replace the purple.