Software
Houzz Logo Print
nicholas_powers

Living room couch suggestion

7 years ago

This photo is a staged photo for the listing of my new condo. I’m a single male and want a masculine look/feel. I want help with ideas of the style and color of a couch please.


Comments (14)

  • 7 years ago
    Article carries modern furniture. Here is one in leather. I think it’s stylish and masculine. Most important is to sketch out a floor plan so you’re buying the right sized furniture. Biggest mistake people make is to get something too big. It’s easy to do. If you have a small space pottery barn has apartment sized furniture.
    N Pow thanked Susie .
  • 7 years ago

    I love this but $1800 is a bit more than wanting to spend. Any other websites you may suggest? Thank you!

  • 7 years ago

    Lil S- where is the first couch from that you posted?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Leather is pricey, but think of it as an investment. It will last you for years and years.

    https://www.westelm.com/products/axel-leather-sofa-h1465/

  • 7 years ago

    Trust me, I love these. I just didn’t want to spend more than $1000. I have a lot to buy haha. Please throw more suggestions. I greatly appreciate this. I was thinking maybe a charcoal fabric couch with an oversized leather chair? That’s about all I have room for.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Here's charcoal gray. I know nothing about this company, but the reviews are good-

    https://www.lexmod.com/living/sofas-and-couches/engage-upholstered-sofa-in-gray/

  • 7 years ago
    Try IKEA, if you’re on a tight budget. It’s a 10 year warranty. My husband has had this one (in black) in his office for a few years. Comes in several colors and it’s a smaller size. I know money may be tight if you’re buying a new place, but good upholstery is expensive. A nice sofa can last decades. If you think this is a short term item, then ikea is pretty good.

    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/products/landskrona-sofa__0608994_PE684245_S4.JPG
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Some of my favourite sofas. You can "soften them up" if you like with fabric choices









  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Jeff! What websites?

  • 7 years ago

    Google "stickley settle", "knoll sofa" and "mogensen sofa". Originals are expensive, but you'll find many reproductions at various prices.

    N Pow thanked Jeff Meeks
  • 7 years ago

    The budget is $1,000 max.

  • 7 years ago

    Joybird is currently having a mid-winter sale but I didn't spot anything for much less than 1K. I fear that you'll soon be disappointed with the quality of a sofa in that price range. I don't know what your total furnishing budget is but if you're starting from scratch, consider that you don't have to buy everything at once.

  • 7 years ago

    If this is your first house, I'd join Nextdoor in your area. Don't know about your area, but in my area, people who are neighbors are getting rid of their "nice" stuff all the time on Nextdoor (because they don't want to deal with Craigslist)--sometimes for free, sometimes for less than you'd find on Craigslist.

    Also, I have discovered OfferUp, which is somewhat like Craigslist, but has an advantage of making efforts at verifying people's identities, and the format (in my opinion) is easier to use and scroll through. Lately, I've gotten a couple fantastic deals on OfferUp.

    I like IKEA for furniture, as stated above, as well. It is also a GREAT place to go to get all the stuff you need for your house, inexpensively, like dishes, and kitchen utensils.

    Lastly, in addition to the leather recommendation made above, I think a more "masculine" sofa probably has clean lines (e.g., straight arms and straight back, not giant rolled arms, and curvy back), and you probably want to avoid a"skirt" on the bottom and/or slipcovers. Those are generalities. I would choose a solid color sofa in a neutral-ish color, such as what you've been shown. I wouldn't choose white though, in your situation.

    N Pow thanked Mrs. S