0

Convolvulus, anyone? aka dwarf morning glory

mxk3
last modified: January 26, 2019

These used to be a staple in the seed catalogs but for whatever reason I never tried them. I saw them in Select Seeds catalog and decided I want them but didn't want to order just one thing, so I went looking elsewhere. I was surprised not to find them at the other seed houses I use. Funny how things fall out of favor, isn't it.

Anyway, what can you tell me about "Royal Ensign"? I ended up ordering them but have no experience with them. Would appreciate comments on growth habit and flowering, and if any disease problems. I have a specific pot in mind for them - a large cement one in which I usually plant "Black and Blue" salvia; I think the "Royal Ensign" would be a great cascading underplanting, and the grey cement background will set off the deep-colored flowers nicely. Also, any tips for seed sowing? Are they pretty much the same procedure as regular morning glories?

• Bruce (Vancouver Island)

I just ordered some of these as well. I plan to use them in hanging baskets to see if they will cascade over the sides. I will be starting them from seed indoors as well as into the baskets directly. I too have no experience with them and will be interested in any other comments you get.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

tried once .. and completely failed .. pre WWW so all i had was the directions on the pack ...

since it was a fail ... i have no other recollection of how i did it .... or should i say .. failed to do it ...

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Be aware that it is bushy rather than cascading.

• Bruce (Vancouver Island)

Yes, but I am going to try it anyway! Never know unless you try it right?

• mxk3

Oh. I thought it was cascading. Sigh.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Bruce, the non bushy habit info was intended for mxk3, to avoid disappointment in their hope that it would be a 'great cascading underplanting.' Convolvulus sabatius is a much less intense blue but it does trail.

• mxk3

Well, I'm going to grow it anyway - like I said I've wanted to try it for something like 20 years, now's as good a time as any LOL! Good to know about it's habit, though, so I won't be disappointed.

• Bruce (Vancouver Island)

floral_uk - here is part of the description from William Dam Seeds: "C. tricolor minor A compact Morning Glory type plant, covered with flowers. The blooms are a striking navy blue with yellow and white centres." Like mxk3 I am going to try it anyway. If it is too bushy it will have to compete with whatever else is in the hanging baskets - may the better plants win!! LOL