Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hrwgam

Inside vs outside mount plantation shutters

hrwgam
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have 4 windows that I’m considering having plantation shutters installed on. They are double hung with tilt in feature. There is 6 inch trim in between each window. If I want to preserve the tilt in feature then I need outside mount. However, I prefer the look of inside mount because shutters will be flush with the existing trim. I think this gives a cleaner look than outside mount shutters would give. The shutter company is recommending outside mount to preserve the tilt in feature (but of course said choice is mine). I’ve lived in my house for 4 years and have never used the tilt in feature, but my windows appear clean. How important is this tilt in feature for resale value?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    5 years ago

For resale, not much. For your functionality, it will be a PITB.

• wantoretire_did
    5 years ago

I have inside mounted shutters and tilt in windows. Never gave it a thought UNTIL I TRIED TO WASH THE OUTSIDE OF WINDOWS! Big PITA but they do look better than outside mount.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

A suggestion that might not work and could look odd is to have decorative molding installed next to the window so as not to prevent the opening of the window which the shutters are attached to. Depending on the style of your house would depend on the style of the molding. You would need to build the molding so that it does not look like an afterthought.

• PRO
    The Shutter Company
    5 years ago

The shutters will look best mounted inside the window. As long as you know up front that the tilt in windows will not function, and you’re ok with that, do what you prefer. This will not even come up when you sell the house. Good luck with the project.

• lyfia
    5 years ago

Don't worry about it. Make sure it looks good. Most people won't be thinking about it and who knows if a future buyer even would want plantation shutters.

If these windows are on a 2nd floor you might want to consider it for your own function, but if on the first floor it is not that hard to wash those from the outside.

• Carolae
    5 years ago
    I had plantation shutters installed as outside mount, and I think they look great! Another consideration is that it is more difficult to remove and attach window screens with inside mounted shutters.
  • sarah_socal
    5 years ago

We had no option but outside mount. I too was used to inside mount and was concerned they would look odd.

They look great and we love them.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

When I posted about a decorative molding I was thinking about the molding that in some parts of the world that goes completely around the window and when the shutters are completely closed it looks like a box not a molding that would only go on the sides. I friend posted pictures from their vacation in I think France or Russia that showed a boxed shutter.

• maire_cate
    5 years ago

I have both mounts and I definitely prefer the inside mount. However we had to do an outside mount for the windows on the second floor.

• PRO
    Two Blind Guys
    5 years ago

Your shutter company gave good advice. With tilt in windows, it's best to do an outside mount even if you don't tilt them in often. Outside mount is the proper way to install shutters with this style window. Most windows in our region have tilt in windows so almost 90% of the shutters we install are outside mount and they look really nice with the right frame. Most people don't think twice about it once they're up and installed.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County