Software
Houzz Logo Print
kes4753

Choices, choices!

7 years ago

I got a gift certificate from my family for High Country Roses this past Christmas and now I'm having fun trying to decide how to spend it. For me, the most fun part is suspending practicality and pretending that I can actually grow everything I like. I especially love foundlings. There's something about a rose with a little mystery... Eventually I do have to be sensible, though. With that in mind, I wonder if anyone has tried some of the following:

Alice Flores Purple Hybrid China- Not a fan of purple but really like dark burgundy. It's OK that it's mostly once blooming but for how long? Shade? Disease resistance? Fragrance? Size (important!)? Does it grow like a China? Do you like it?

Fairmount Proserpine- Thought to be a bourbon. It reminds me of Maggie. I have had reasonable success with the several bourbons that I grow but some do blackspot. I am nonspray but they seem to throw it off and aren't held back at all by it. How big does this get? Is it fragrant? Will it handle heat and humidity, do you think? Are you happy with it?

JoAn's Pink Perpetual- This one almost looks like it could be a modern hybrid meant to attract the old-fashioned, many-petaled, full and fragrant rose buyer. I used to think I couldn't grow HP's but Gen. Jacqueminot has done well so far and Ferdinand Pichard has done OK in a pot. So maybe? Has anyone grown this, especially in the south? Healthy? How often is it in bloom? Like it?

Souvenir du Dr. Jamain- OK, I know this one is a crapshoot but has anyone in the south grown this successfully no-spray?

Rosa gallica officinalis (apothocary rose)- I am dreaming of placing this in my herb bed with herbs, of course, and with rose de rescht and pompon de bourgogne which I planted last year and are doing OK. Here's the thing. I will have to take water to this bed. At first, I don't mind watering a young plant till it's established. But after that they are on their own in this bed. There is some shade- an oak and pine are on the northwest end- and I'd plant this in half day shade since I save full sun for herbs. I get about 47" or so of rain a year and while my "soil" is thin, rocky and acidic, I've improved it. Drainage is excellent. Fantasy or could it be reality?


I love big yellow roses. I don't have room for any but somehow I always tell myself that I do. Then I buy one. Or more. I value your input but in the end, I might end up with any (hopefully not all!!) of these:

Gloire de Dijon- I can dream. Not really yellow, sort of a salmon/buff, but close enough. I have been looking for any excuse to get this rose but I have no room in my tea bed or with my tea-noisettes. How does GdJ compare with Crepescule and Reve d'Or? These two seem to grow well for me but they do require just the right spot. Is GdD more finicky or more tender? Noisettes do well here and teas do too. They love summer and fall and mostly get through our winters but I tend to lose them during spring. It's not unusual to have a week or more in the 80's and then plunge into a freeze in the 20's. This is tough on a lot of plants.

York Street Yellow- I am intrigued. This could be grown as either a tall shrub or a climber. Does anyone grow this one? Is it healthy? What is the frequency of bloom? Do you think it could be grown on an obelisk?

Mr. Nash- It's big. It's yellow. Not sure it would grow here but even if it did, I don't have a house that needs to be eaten. I love it, though. Anyone grow this one?

Comments (15)

  • 7 years ago

    The only one I have grown is Souvenir du Dr. Jamain & it blackspotted horribly. Now, to be fair, I had read that it required some shade to have the best colour blooms; this I did & after 3 years removed it, I am no-spray.

    Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked smithdale1z8pnw
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, Smithdale. I've heard that SdDJ was hard to keep healthy so it doesn't surprise me..

  • 7 years ago

    A few people on this forum, myself included, have the High Country Roses Gloire de Dijon. As you note, it isn't really yellow, though it does have a sort of yellow/parchment color to the substance of its petals. Its color fluctuates from pink to salmon to buff to something more peachy-golden here in Seattle. I'm not sure what it would look like in your conditions, as variable as it has been here. You may have read some of the threads which discuss this rose as notoriously difficult. Thus far it has been fine here, but I've only had it for a couple of years now, so it is too soon to call it a success. It does get black spot in a more dramatic fashion than any other rose I have, so that might be its eventual undoing. The flowers are beautifully formed, and it has a great will to bloom. If you decide to try it, I'd suggest you consider it an experiment, given this rose's reputation. I'm fond of it, and am glad to be growing it.

    Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked K S 7a Yakima
  • 7 years ago

    I have the HCG's Glorie de Dijon too, and it is beautiful. I have Souv du Dr. Jamain here too and would also recommend him.

    Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, KS. How odd that GdD blackspots to that degree. My teas and tea-noisettes are the most blackspot free of my whole garden. They seem to require three conditions here to do well; direct sun all day, protection from the north and western winds in winter and perfect drainage. Perfect drainage is a given for me unless water begins running uphill. I'm lucky when it comes to wind protection since our neighborhood and natural surroundings help. Direct, all day sun is harder to come by but I reserve those spots for teas and tea-noisettes. It indeed would be an experiment here.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, Sheila. You must have the right touch.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, Melissa. If it works for you, it's worth a try for me. I have been thinking that the apothecary rose might make a nice addition for potpourri.

  • 7 years ago

    The Apothecary Rose will run a bit, but hasn't been that difficult to control. Basically, if it wants more sun, it will go looking for it. Aside from that, the situation sounds fine.

    Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, Mad-Gallica. It isn't a priority that this rose be perfectly behaved. Just beyond the herb garden is a line of iris in front of a vacant lot. And by "vacant", I mean "filled with aggressive weeds and saplings". I hope it will add some color to the herb garden in spring and in winter (hips) when the garden can look pretty sad.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Souviner du dr Jamain was doing great, had it a few years and it just threw me some beautiful huge canes, and then a vole decided it looked good for breakfast...it was doing awesome for me though. I hope to try it again someday.

    I hope someone can let you know about the hybrid china. Most curious about that one myself.

    Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked Alana8aSC
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, Alana. i wonder where SdDJ's happy place is. Evidently you and Sheila must have found it. I

    I hope that anyone who grows some of the found rouses. will be inspired to share their experience with us.

  • 7 years ago

    I grew SdDJ, years ago. It had good foliage -- but in those days, we sprayed. We lost it to the root gall that affected all of our Heirloom Old Garden Roses plants. I've often wondered what it might have done, had it not been so-afflicted.

    Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked jerijen
  • 7 years ago

    I had him in morning sun, afternoon shade...maybe that can help you!

    Kes Z 7a E Tn thanked Alana8aSC
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, Jeri. My major disease, aside from RRD, is blackspot. I wonder how well SdDJ can cope with our particular strain(s). You know, I'm playing with house money here, so to speak. I should just try it.

    Alana, that does help. That's where I was planning on putting him.