0

Hosta R 2018 .....

I hope everyone is warm at home. I am so happy I live in Florida. Today is R. And I cannot believe it is the last day in January. Show us some Rs:

• M MW

Just 1 'R' as of now...one of my first "fancy" hostas I picked out a few years ago.

Rhino Hide

• Saija

Rainforest

Rasberry Sundae (still tiny but lovely colors)

Red October

Regal Splendor (some shoots are sporting with wider edge)

Risky Business

• Beth (5b - Mid-Michigan)

Brr it's a chilly morning here in Michigan. It is hard to believe all the great lakes warm us, at -15 below this morning.

Here are my R's

Rainbow's End

Rainforest Sunrise

Regal Promenade, new this year. Looking at pictures I am wondering if it is Regal Providence. Will see this year.

Regal Rhubarb also new this year

Regal Splendor

Rhino Hide, still a baby. Love the color

Risky Business, also a baby

Robert Frost

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

The back side of Mt. Rushmore, hahahahaha!

Here are my R’s, early in the season, all except Royal Standard - no pic of that one.

Blue pots- Ripple Effect (back) and Rainbow’s End (forward), both will go in the ground whenever I find the right locations.

Rainforest Sunrise, three plants in there, one is sporting again. This year I may lift and divide.

Reptilian, obviously was brand new at this point.

Rhino Hide. Beth- I love the colors and leaf texture too, but this one is very slow! I’ve had it since 2015... it’s been moved once. I think it’s in it’s permanent home now though.

• mae (zone 5b On)

Rainbow's End It doubled in size in one year!

Rainforest Sunrise 5 years old --one of my oldest.

Rainforest Sunrise

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Rainforest Sunrise in the upper right. It really likes growing in it’s blue pot..

Sherry

• sunnywood 5aChazyNY

Lots of R’s jokes get better and better!

Rain Dancer

Rainbows End

Rainforest Sunrise

Rare Breed

Raucous Ruffles

Red October

Regal Splendor

Regal Supreme

Reptilian

Restless Sea

Revolution

Rich Uncle

• sunnywood 5aChazyNY

I have more!

Riptide

Rockets Red Glare

Roy Klehm

Royal Flush

Royal Standard

• Karin Black Cat

Ta ta, I can proudly present the smallest Rainbow's End in the world. After three years it is not bigger than a dwarf hosta, maybe 15 cm in diameter and I don't think it will get bigger at all...

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

LOL Paula we Canadians do love a full moon!

Wonderful R's! All the Rhino Hide's. sunnywood your Reptilian is very nice! Karin your Rainbow's End is adorable! I am sure it will grow but if not it still has all it's great qualities!

Rainbow's End

Rainforest Sunrise

Red October

Red October showing off it's legs.

Regal Splendor
    Reversed
    Robert Frost - still waiting to be planted.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

A couple more.

Royal Standard

Revolution

Ruffled Mouse Ears progression.

• Laura z4b / Helsinki, Finland

I have decent photos of only one of my R’s so here you are, may I present my Rainforest Sunrise with bluebells:

• steve duggins - Ohio

Rainbow's End

Rainforest Sunrise
    Regal Splendor

Regal Supreme

Rhino Hide

Riptide

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

Beautiful Regal Splendors - all!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

great R's everyone :-) I guess I'm the only one that doesn't have Rainbow's End :-( my R's..Regal Splendor in a pot

Royal Standard..
    2 Royal Standards in this pic..
    Rainforest Sunrise bottom left..I had a technology mishap..I was deleting pics in a pic file (I thought) but was given NO warning that it deletes albums too!!..I was sad..I recovered some but lots are blurry..I'm planning to take lots of new pics this year and delete these fuzzy ones..

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Oh no, I would be sad too! So you did a recovery and did you check your recycle bin also? I am so not techie.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

peren..I turned my phone over to my husband..he worked on my settings..recovered some photos..I have photos from the camera that were loaded into our desktop that weren't affected..but I use the phone more than the camera..I can go back to old posts and get screenshots of pics that I've posted..it'll be ok..but it was shocking to see my albums disappear..this is great motivation to put my resolution in action to take better pictures..your Regal Splendor is wonderful..

• oursteelers 8B PNW

No doubt about it, gotta get a RhinoHide! I wish I could do emojis. Rhino Hise would get lots of heart eyes!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

I didn't take many hosta pix last year, but I did manage to get this one.

Rhythm and Blues

tj

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT

LOL at the "Exhibit 1" sign.

Beth, such a cute pic of your Rainforest Sunrise.

peren.all, when your hostas flower, they go all out.

Only a couple. (I have to get better pics of all of them next year.)

I have two Regal Splendors. The one in back

Regal Splendor on west hill in the shade of a lilac.

Risky Business

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

sandyslopes..more fabulous Regal Splendors!..so glad that I bought one last year..

• old_dirt

Lots of great R's. I'm really liking the pictures of Royal Standard. I think it may have been my first hosta. I have since pushed it off to the side and let it dwindle in the tree roots. I think next year I will find a good spot for it.

Rainbow's End

Raspberry Sundae

Risky Business

Revolution

Remember Me

Regal Splendor

• mountainy man z8 Ireland

Raspberry Sundae

Regal Splendor, it is doing something similar to Saija's

Ruffed Up, a little frazzled from our heatwave

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    Remember Me

Rainforest Sunrise

Regal Splendor

• hostas_for_barb

Rainbow's End being moved.

• mbug_gw

Enjoying looking at everyone's great R's ....lots to like!!

Rainbow's End

Rainforest Sunrise in a deck planter...... from above

Rainforest Sunrise closeup

Rare Breed .....RIP....did not return in 2018....second one I have lost....a beauty, but I'm finding it hard to maintain

Raspberry Sorbet ....hasn't grown much, but keeps coming back

Red Hot Poker.....tall dark red scapes and purple flowers

Regal Promenade

Regal Supreme

Regal Splendor

• mbug_gw

.....a few more R's

Ripple Effect

Risky Business

Rocket's Red Glare

Rubies and Ruffles

• don_in_colorado

Riptide and Rainforest Sunrise

• Tiddisolo Wales UK

Denis, you must be giving steroids to that Raspberry Sundae of yours. I have two and put together they still wouldn't add up to yours.

Frustrates the hell out of me that my Rainbows End refuses to get growing. Karin, it must be a duff tc. batch that came to Europe.

Raspberry Sundae ( one of them )

Regalia

Rosedale Blend Master

Dave

• ConnieMay

Regal Splendor

Risky Business

Rascal

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Denis your Raspberry Sundae is another phenomenal one of yours I was waiting to see. I remember it from last year and it did not disappoint. Yes, just what are you feeding it lol !

Dave Regalia is really wonderful! I have read that the leaf pattern fades after spring but the form is very nice indeed. Has that been your experience?

ConnieMay I have always thought the colour of Rascal was exceptional and you captured it beautifully!

All the Risky Business shown makes me wonder why I have not found a spot for it yet.

Fabulous R's every one!

• Beth (5b - Mid-Michigan)

Windymess, I think your Rhino Hide will take a jump this year. For me I am trying to be patient and enjoy the "baby" phase, as long as the newbies show some growth year to year and aren't slug bait I am OK with it.

• steve duggins - Ohio

Great Rs everyone. Too hard to single out all the great ones.

Mr. Dirt (or shall I just call you Old), your pic of Remember Me is awesome! How long does it retain the yellow center and is it a good grower? How does it compare to High Society? The HL pics look similar.

I've been looking for Regalia since I saw it at Hosta World, but not having any luck here in the states. Your picture just makes me want to look harder.

I think I may have to add Rascal too.

• ConnieMay

A freshly emerged Rainbow’s End - almost looks like liquid...

• ConnieMay

Thank you Peren.all - I try hard to capture colour accurately.

I highly recommend Rascal to those of you that haven’t purchased it yet.

• old_dirt

Steve, thank you. I seldom get called Mr and I've been feeling pretty old lately, so call me anything but late for supper.
    My Remember Me stays colorful most of the year. It is at least 10 years old and hasn't gotten any bigger for several. It is underneath a huge Black Cherry tree and gets no direct sun. Definitely not ideal conditions. I may move it someday but really like the color. It seems to have larger leaves, more color and narrower green/blue edges than my High Society, but probably some due to location.

June 2

July 7 (different year)

• Tiddisolo Wales UK

peren.all, Regalia keeps it's pattern all season for me.

It's in full shade from early morning to late afternoon and of course Welsh sun is a weak and rare creature.

Dave

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

I'm arriving late. Loving all the Rainforest Sunrise! Makes me very happy that I purchased one last year. I would be even happier had I photographed it! And ecstatic if it looked like any of yours!

Old dirt, your Remember Me is a hosta that is going to be "remembered!" I do have one, but no photo, and it is still small. That's another one that is on the "difficult to grow list." Too pretty to not try to grow it.

I will add Radiant Edger to the thread since I don't think anyone posted one.

and Robert Frost. Nice to see a few others have it too.

June 8

June 28

August