0

Hosta U 2018 ......

Not many Us today so lets laugh about it. Post any joke or comic that made you chuckle. Have a great day laughing and lets see some Us:

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

Funny, Paula! Especially that smiling horse!

No U hostas here, unfortunately. But this gave me a chuckle, and maybe it’s something that starts with U. I took this photo as I was going into a favorite restaurant a few weeks ago... had never noticed it before. We asked a couple of restaurant employees if they knew what it meant... they had no idea. I have no idea....

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri

I love the walking tree. That generates a double-take for sure! I wonder where this tree is?

• Beth (5b - Mid-Michigan)

Only one U, Undulata

• Saija

Just one U, so few fotos of it :)

Ufo (June)

Ufo leaf

Ufo (July)

Saija

• steve duggins - Ohio

Urchin

Undulata Univittata

Funnies

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

No U’s for me. Here’s my favorite recent funny:

The reason Mayberry was so peaceful and quiet was because nobody was married. Andy, Aunt Bea, Barney, Floyd, Howard, Goober, Gomer, Sam, Ernest T. Bass, Helen, Thelma Lou, Clara and of course Opie were all single. The only married person was Otis and he stayed drunk.

Sherry

• ConnieMay

Not sure you can see my account picture very well because it is so tiny... a pic I took of a tree running down the beach in Dominican Republic (at least that’s what I told my 4 year old at the time...Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Walking Trees)

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

I didn't buy these..are they Undulata Aureomarginata or Undulata Albomarginata?..don't know the difference..

when I moved in these hosta were planted in several areas (none here)..my plan was to plant ALL of them beside my garage..I thought I did but a few popped up in the old locations..it's on my to do list to move them..a gardener's work is never finished Lol..

• sunnywood 5aChazyNY

Undulata Albomarginata. That was the label. Can anyone tell me if that is correct?

Unforgettable it has taken 5 years to get to this size. I am about ready to forget it!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

sunnywood..I think both of us have Undulata Albomarginata..at least yours had a tag..your scape with cute leaves looks exactly like mine when they bloom..I'm not even sure if Undulata Aureomarginata is a real name..

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

sunnywood if the underside of the leaf is shiny it is UA.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Loving all the fun pics, especially the trees!

Undulata Albomarginata

Undulata Univittata #1

Undulata Univittata #2

Went out to split some firewood and these wild turkeys were assembled.

• mae (zone 5b On)

Follow this exercise program daily so you'll be ready for gardening season 2019:

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5lb potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, then relax. Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a couple of weeks, move up to 10lb potato sacks. Then 50lb potato sacks and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100lb potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (As I write this I have to admit that I'm at this level) After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the sacks.

• mbug_gw

Great idea, Paula....

everybody's got one...

Undulata

These made me smile

...

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

peren..Wow!..what a big group of turkeys..

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

Question - If I'm displaying naivete or gullibility here, please excuse (and I won't even feel embarassed because I do that so often!):

Ufo - is that a specific hosta name, or does it stand for something? Is it like UFO (unidentified flying object)? What am I missing?

I looked it up in the Library and don't find a listing. Saija - it's very attractive, whatever it is!

• ConnieMay

UFO is a sport of Gunther’s Prize...I don’t see it listed yet in the Hosta Library by itself.

• Saija

Windymess. It's just Ufo, I don't know more. And ConnieMay is correct it's GP sport. There is no Ufo in Hosta Library. Maybe next summer mine is so big that I can send foto of it in Library.

Saija

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT

No good pics of my undulatas this year. Enjoying all the funnies!

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada

Undulata Albomarginata

This is the original one........Undulata Albomarginata...that started it all. 25 yrs ago. my very first hosta. A gift from my Aunt. I have since divided and given many times over.

Undulata Medio Variegata

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Undulata

Undulata Albomarginata

Undulata Albomarginata leaf

Undulata Erromena. I removed Regal Splendor to find it a new home, but ended up just putting it back in the same spot! Poor U. Erromena. Time to find it a new spot.

I think this is Undulata Univittata.

Undulata Univittata leaves.

You guys are making me laugh with your pictures and jokes!

Here are some pictures that I thought were funny.

Everyone needs some of these labels (picture #1)

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

newhostalady..I love the plant labels!..I could use about a hundred that say "moving Spring 2019" or "please visit our new location" Lol..I have lots of plants that I'd like to move..

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    undulata Erromena

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT

Shadow, Undulata Albomarginata was the one that made me realize I love hostas! One of my first, too.

newhostalady, what great leaf shots. Undulatas are common but that doesn't mean they're not pretty! .....I could use a few of those signs "I don't remember planting this." :-)

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

What Sandyslopes said. NHL- you’re a very good photographer! I seem to remember that you had a goal of getting a photo into the Hosta Library... I hope you’ll go for it!

Don - that potato meme cracks me up!

• mountainy man z8 Ireland

Undulata Albomarginata front and centre

No more U's so.........

• old_dirt

I have several Undulata or Undulata Univattata, (not sure which) but have let the Vinca almost choke it all out. ;(

Unforgettable

This is me and i'm OK with it.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Denis..love your giant hostas..SIGN NOT IN USE is so funny..I thought this was funny..

• Tiddisolo Wales UK

No U's to show from last year.

A bit more info on UFO.

Introduced by Fransen in the Netherlands and only they and one other seem to carry it.

It grows to giant size and has a pronounced saucer shape.

This is mine from 2017.

Dave

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

I was thinking that it is rather sad that we are nearing the end of the Alphabet-----but this thread gave me a good laugh and cheered me up. Well done everyone!

Windymess, that sign looks like it's telling bicyclists to watch out for UFO's! You have a good memory---remembering that I said I wanted to have at least one photo in the Hosta Library. Well, I did achieve that goal! I am working on adding to that in the near future!

Beth, I think the sign needs to be in my yard! I am "slow" at "gardening!"

Mbug, I absolutely need that squirrel costume!

Nicholsworth, yes we could use those plant labels plus more. I like the "moving in spring" label idea. I also think I could use "slow as molasses" and "grow dammit!" or "here now, gone next year!" And "last chance."

Sandyslopes, glad you liked the leaf shots! I agree that undulatas can look pretty. I removed a chunk of my undulata albomarginata last year. That's why my clump looks uneven. My plan was to remove most of it, but I've changed my mind! It has grown on me!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

newhostalady..such funny ideas for signs!..and so true!!..all of us can relate..you do take beautiful photos :-) I can't wait until we're outside taking pictures of our growing plants..