0

Bathroom Skylight YES OR NO?

Lucas Sadler
Hey there!!! So I wanted your guys opinion. So I am redoing my kids jack and Jill bathroom. But there sadly not kids anymore there 15&16. However I did a little digging and found some things for the bathroom much cheaper than I budgeted for. So I was thinking of ways to use the extra money and I came up with this. My kids bathroom doesn’t have any windows so it’s really dark but I was thinking of putting in a large skylight which would bring in light and also save money on electric bills. Anyway let my know what you think??

• Karen Rose
    It’s a great idea! Always better to have some natural light if you can.
  • Sammy

If you can swing it, then, absolutely! I have a relative who added a skylight during a major remodel to a second-floor bathroom and it’s fabulous.

• K Laurence

Yes, yes, yes! I have five in my home, two of them in the upstairs baths, two in my stairwell & recently had one installed in my garage.. They even provide ambient light during the middle of the night. I had one installed in a windowless bath in my previous home & couldn’t believe what a difference it made. In addition to the natural light it brought in, the bathroom appeared much larger than it was.

• tackykat

We love ours in our master. What direction would it face? Ours faces south. I wish we would have put in an operating model, as opposed to a stationary one, so we could get some air on nice days.

• ssdarb

My girls' bathroom has one and it is really nice. It's the only one in the house. The natural light is great. Make sure the roofer is excellent. You don't want leaks!

• tackykat

Yes, what ssdarb says! ^^ Skylights are all about the installation.

• morz8

I loved (and miss) my Velux skylight in my bathroom. The light was amazing, if one could pass muster at that mirror in the morning they would look good anywhere. It wasn't operational but did have a screened vent at upper end which was reached with it's accompanying pole. Rain proof, I think we left it open most of the time. That slope of roof faced east and got morning light, not baking West sun in afternoons.

I had them in the two bedrooms on that side of the house too, one those the master. Stars, or even rain at night while laying in my 4-poster - it was wonderful.

We've sold that house and while this one is much nicer overall, I do miss the natural light from the skylights. I'm still trying to figure out how to improve light now in three bathrooms. With the style Velux we had and not being operational though, DH does not miss going up onto the roof to wash them. No problems, leaks, condensation, any issues at all in 20 years if one discounted birds pooping on them, going up onto the roof to clean up ;0)

• Lynne Om
    Absolutely, without question, yes!
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors

Skylights are awesome. They make everything lighter and brighter AND they have the added benefit of making the room bright enough during the day that you don't have to turn on the lights. Can be an energy saver, which is always a plus.

• Debbie Garrison

Yesssssssss!!!

• Tia M
    Definite yes!! I had 5 skylights in my old house and miss them dearly. I hope to install one in a windowless bathroom sometime this year.
  • pippabean

Yes, yes, yes.

We added a large Velux skylight in our hall bathroom which previously was a dark tomb. We flared the opening to it (the height of the attic above), which lets the light reach the whole of the room and hugely enlarges the space. What a difference it is to step into a light flooded, welcoming bathroom instead of a sad, artificially lighted cell.

If you live in a cold climate, be sure to install a generous band of "ice shield" around the perimeter of the opening.

• Anne Duke
    Look into solatube as opposed to a full skylight. Skylights require a certain amount of upkeep and a whole lot of roof work to install.
  • Sammy

Skylights require neither upkeep nor a whole lot of roof work to install — at least they shouldn’t.

Beth H. :

I love our skylight. we got the 42" Velux and my husband installed it.

I also have a Solatube(in another room) and it can't compare w/the skylight.

• diane_

Skylights are beautiful unless you live in ice and snow country. They can be high maintenance, this is from the Velux website “The most prevalent problem snow presents to skylights does result from accumulation but not because of the weight; it's because accumulated snow can block the normal draining of water from your skylight. This can cause ice dams which increase the pressure around the skylight, potentially resulting in leaking and dangerous conditions when you go to brush off the snow.” And from Green Building ”On an even somewhat cold day, the skylight interior will dip below the dew point, condensing all that 100% relative humidity shower steam. Lots of condensation plus lots of cracks equals incipient moisture problems.”

• pippabean

diane_ we live in the Chicago area, so we can get very cold temps and some years we get loads of snow. Yet, our skylight barely ever gets condensation on it, and any condensation quickly disappears. By the way, snow on top of the skylight actually acts as insulation.

A bathroom fan with the appropriate CFM prevents excessive moisture from building up in the first place and doesn't just protect the skylight, but everything else in the bathroom. Without it, mold will grow just about everywhere, paint will get spotty and might start to peel, mirrors will rust and blacken, the vanity will warp, drawers and doors stick, etc. A correctly sized fan is an absolute must in any bathroom and around here, is required by code.

DH installed our skylight with some help of our son, and in the 9 years since, we have not had any problems whatsoever with it.

.

• Lawrence Sprowls

I'm redoing my windowless bathroom and considered a solar tube such as Natural Light. You can even incorporate a light or fan into the tube.

Motto Interior Design

Love the idea of a skylight to bring in natural light. Just be aware that the moisture content in bathrooms can cause issues with mold / condensation with skylights.

• ksc36

The Velux solar skylights have a 30% tax rebate on the product and labor (the actual skylight will end up almost "free")

http://www.veluxusa.com/help-and-advice/tax-credit

VELUX Solar Powered Fresh Air Skylights, VELUX residential rigid Sun Tunnels with the solar night light, as well as VELUX Solar Powered Blinds qualify under “Solar Electric Property”expenditures when purchased and installed from January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2021.

• Nicole R Dsp
    We don’t get super hefty winters in Oregon, but two years ago we did. Ice dams caused huge issues all over town, and skylights didn’t help. Just be cognizant of your climate! If that’s not a factor, DO IT! I wish we added a few in our new house.
  • Leisa Firth

We live in Northern Utah and can get a LOT of snow. Our home is 25+ years old with 2 skylights in our vaulted kitchen ceiling. We have never had a problem with ice dams or leaking at all. Even when the window is cranked open in during a summer rainstorm - not a drop. They let in the most beautiful natural light.

• pippabean

I'm no architect or roof expert, but I believe that Ice dams are due to bad architectural planning and practices and a general cutting of corners in the construction business. Homeowners ignorance of the need for plentiful attic insulation isn't helping.

I think, as with most problems, multiple factors cause leaks due to ice dams:

-Insufficient insulation in attics.

-Roofs not extending sufficiently beyond exterior walls.

-No "ice and water shield materials" installed on roofs in areas where frost is a possibility.

Sufficient insulation in the attic will keep the attic cold in winter, helping to prevent repeated melting and refreezing of snow on the roof above.

-Roofs in cold climates should ideally be built with wide overhangs to avoid ice dams from forming and the resulting melt water leaking into the structure below. Roofs extending 2 to 3 ft beyond the exterior walls don't let ice dams form that cause meltwater to spill down to the inside of a building, Even if ice dams form, for the water to be pushed upward a couple of feet to reach beyond the outside of the exterior wall is unlikely. If the meltwater penetrates the roofing, it most likely will just leak through the roof at the overhang, just above the roof edge and gutter, and that meltwater will drop to the ground below, without causing damage to the inside of the structure.

Look at chalets in the alps, where 3 to 5 ft overhangs are typical. There are reasons for these wide overhangs, one of them is ice dams.

Correctly sized and applied Ice shields won't let meltwater penetrate through the roof either. Skylights which have been installed with a wide band of "ice shield" surround should not suffer ill effects from repeated freezing and melting.

About 15 to 20 years ago, the Chicago area received late winter/early spring snow storm (the worst possible time for a snow storm, due to the quick daytime melting and nighttime refreezing at that time of year). For about a week, the local evening news programs showed people's homes that literally had waterfalls running down the inside of their exterior walls. Houses that suffered the most did so very visibly from the outside, as hundreds of huge icicles hung from their roofs, glistening testimony to bad architectural design and construction. Snow storms hit here every year, with a number of homes suffering ice dam damage. But I have never before or after seen anything like it. Thousands and thousands of homeowners had to file insurance claims.

Our house was spared. Luckily, years earlier we had doubled the existing attic insulation and our existing 4ft roof overhangs protected us, despite the lack of ice shields along the lower edge of the roof. We didn't have our skylights during that snow storm yet, so can't say if 2ft of ice shield would have protected them.