Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
losfelizgirl

Does having bathroom tile & grout professionally cleaned really work?

Los Feliz Girl
5 years ago

I need to have the tile and grout cleaned in a bathroom! See picture attached. The first photo is the over all view with dirty brown grout. You can see the original color of the grout in the second pic, in the left corner of the floor where it meets the baseboard, below the built in shelf. It's a light, warm gray. Notice how brown it is in from the the door on the left (in front of the dog)...way dirtier. Will professional cleaning really lift the grime? What is the cleaning process? Is it some kind of high pressure rotary tool? Are there different options for cleaning options? I would love see some before and after pics from real people that have done this, pics that are not used in advertising! Thanks!

Comments (8)

• K R
    5 years ago
    Yes it does help a lot. No pictures, but I’ve done it twice over a 10 year period. The company that did mine acid washed all of the tiles and grout, then removed grout and regrouted. For a medium sized bathroom (floor and the whole shower) it was about $350-400, so costly, but it looked MUCH better. Like new really.
    Los Feliz Girl thanked K R
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

^^ That's different than just grout cleaning. I used a grout cleaning company a few years ago and they did a cr*ppy job, it was not worth what I paid. I had to do it again myself - hands and knees, scrubbing with a grout brush and paste of OxiClean and hot water --> that worked really well but was a lot of work -- I had a really big area, though (large kitchen, dining area, and foyer). In your size space, I'd probably just clean it myself, unless you want it regrouted.

• apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

Yes, it does help dramatically in situations I have seen. The tile pros have very large rotary machines, like carpet cleaning machines, but specialized for tile. Some have a special machine with a narrow brush that goes back and forth on just the grout, like a gigantic mechanical toothbrush. The chemicals, detergents, and hot dirty water are sucked up by the machines, followed by rinsing thoroughly. They can seal the tile and grout again, I highly recommend it for easier cleaning afterward.

A large kitchen and three bathrooms cost a few hundred dollars in a low cost of living area. It took all day. BTW, there are special hand-held electric scrubbers they use for wall and shower tile.

Los Feliz Girl thanked apple_pie_order
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The guy I used didn't use any special equipment, guess it was just a lousy choice of a company by me. Wish I would have known about all this when I needed to!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

I hired a floor cleaning company to clean the grout on the floor in my DM's condo - it was stained similarly to the OP's. Made no difference at all. It must all depend on the company & whether they have specialized equipment (and which equipment).

• irrelephantk
    5 years ago
    We had a company come out to clean ours and I was hugely disappointed for the cost. I had better luck cleaning them on my own. A pain and time consuming but it got clean. I got one of those brush attachments for a drill for the next time I really clean it. (I wish I hadn’t done tile in my kitchen)
    Helpful article: https://brendid.com/ultimate-guide-to-cleaning-grout-and-tile/
  • PRO
    Eagle Quality Construction LLC
    4 years ago

I’m a GC We found sometimes jobs like yours
    I have a better way then be removing the Existing grout
    Is a new product we use come in 8 different colors

Custom Building Products Polyblend #382 Bone 8 fl. oz. Grout Renew Colorant