0

Help my Red Couch!

goldie
last modified: February 9, 2019

You see in the photos I purchased this red sectional. I wasn't sure how to match it up until I came across this bold, vibrant rug. My dilemma is should I keep the pillows these colors? What color curtains do I match up? Which would look better silver or gold as table decorations. I'm stuck and starting to think the rug may have to go even though its a great conversation piece. You may have this rug on "Watch what happens Live" with Andy Cohen

• Rawketgrl

no pics

• goldie

Hope the pictures upload below.

• goldie

Another picture

• grapefruit1_ar

I love your sofa and rug, but not with those gray walls. The walls are crying for a light neutral. Then add some lamps so that you do not have to use the harsh overhead lighting. I REALLY like it otherwise! Good choice.

• Rawketgrl

Yup grapefruit1_ar is right the gray walls are throwing me off. Also the white accessories...if you want to keep the gray wall go with red, black, gray and white accessories. If you want to keep the rug which is awesome... go with red, orange, yellow, blue accessories.Also the mirror wall hanging is not adding anything.... a nice pop art or other art would be great.

• lindahambleton

Keep the pillows. :)

• goldie
    Thank you all for your suggestions. The walls will have to stay for now and the couch. I found some pics online with grey walls with red couch that I really like. I'm leaning to change out the rug. That way I can do neutral colors.
    Beth H. :

you have a blue/gray on the wall, so stay away from any yellows. Look for a black/white/gray/red/blue combo

this would be perfect

you also need a large art piece, or a gallery collection of pictures. that 3D mirror isn't cutting it.

that sofa is huge for that room.

do you have a better pic of the entire area?

I find the rug too much in that space , IMO with that sofa you need some fab wall art a fluffy white shag rug and some fun pillows , hate the mirror and ditch the tables add an arc lamp coming from the corner behind the sofa add some u shaped tables for drinks that slide under the sofa .

• goldie
    Thank you all for these great ideas! I wish I found this app waaayyy before the rug and couch. The couch and wall color will stay but the rug is out definitely out!! The mirror and tables are out as well. I'm going with the grey, black and white scheme with a pop of blue. I like the ideas of art to bring the room to life. The lamp behind the couch was a good idea. Thanks again.....Any more suggestion I'm open to them.
  • lindahambleton

Sounds great.

• arcy_gw

The couch and rug are great. Love the pillows but think they could have some pattern too. Bottom line is gray walls bring you to blahsville and sorry your couch is WAAAY to large for you space.

• goldie

Some say the couch is to big for the space. I added some pics to show the open space. How else could I make this sectional work, maybe dvide it up?

The space area wise might seem large but really the area on the right is part of the entry and should be treated as such a closet and maybe a bench with a piece of art above , sectionals that are separated always look exactly like what it is so forget that and enjoy the very cosy space.

• K Laurence

The gray walls need to go ... & I would add a large piece of art or two to balance out the size of the sectional. And a few larger pillows. If the gray walls need to stay I would change the pillo colors.

• tartanmeup

Could you share your inspo pic with the grey walls and red couch? I suspect those grey walls had a different undertone to yours. That's what's bugging me the most about your room as well. The two colours don't complement each other. But I'm looking at your room on my monitor and monitors have their limitations when it comes to rendering colours. The sofa does overwhelm the space but if you like it like that, you're not breaking any laws. :)

Beth could u plz show a link to where u found the 2 red rugs?

• goldie

This is what I have it mind now for the colors.

• K Laurence

Looks good , the gray walls look fine then , I think the issue was with your pillows, rug , etc. Good luck! That was an interesting rug though, just not in your space.

• tartanmeup

Goldie, on my screen, your sofa looks to be a warm red (tomato red rather than cherry red) and your walls look to be a cool grey with a lot of blue in it. Your inspo pics have cool-toned red sofas which would pair better with your grey walls. If it were my space, I'd repaint the walls to something warmer, more greige or even much lighter with an off-white. You might achieve the same effect by getting a more neutral rug. Either way, enjoy tweaking this space to your liking.

goldie thanked tartanmeup
  • goldie

Thank you! The back wall is accent more of a darker grey. I could make it the lighter grey now.I'm leaning more towards a white or grey rug and changing the pillow colors. Going with some artwork on the back wall with white in it. I've been going crazy just looking at this room now..lol

• tartanmeup

You removed the rug? Want to take another picture and show us? Also, step away from the room for a bit. You need to see it with fresh eyes. :) I'd be tempted to go with off-white rather than white with your couch.

• jamminjm

I’m certainly no decorator but I don’t mind the gray walls. I do not care for the rug though. I like some of the other options you’ve been given. If it were me, I’d swap out that rug..

• goldie
    Tartanmeup, No..I haven't removed the rug as of yet but soon and I'll take a picture then. Jamminjm..Yes, the rug was a disaster! Really dont know what I was thinking lol. Just trying to match my couch didn't even consider the wall color at all. I'm not good at decorating as you all can see. I really thank everyone for commenting and helping me out.
  • Joy Peace
    following...and I admire you for going bold
    Beth H. :

goldie. you need to replace your front door (with a wood, modern style w/glass) or paint what's there (maybe a lighter gray or black) and remove that little curtain.

for your windows, drapes are out (too crowded) , so try some blinds like these. Those mini blinds have to go!

also look at over-dyed rugs in black or gray/white

and instead of the white column thing near the tv, try getting a modern console that can go on that wall. if you did something in walnut it would give a little warmth to the space w/all that gray

goldie thanked Beth H. :
  • goldie
    Oohh weee Beth...you are good!! Yaasss! I love your ideas. That's actually the back door that's pictured not the front. I wanted to do something to cover the windows but now I see where you going.The rugs are gorgeous I like the grey plush rug more. Adding the piece under the TV is bomb!! Oh, those blinds was outta here and the shuttles are cool to add. Omg..I feel so much better now. You guys Rock!
  • Irene Morresey
    Wow awesome, love the red sectional, Beth has it right. Just some more inspiration
  • nosoccermom

Seriously, a lot of this advice might be useful but not what was asked. Replace the front door, repaint all the walls, .... PLEASE! Why not add on because the room is way too small?

• Brooke Phillips

replace the rug and maybe the bright red color of the couch wont be so intense

Beth H. :

hey nosoccermom,, why don't you read the comments from the OP that ask for such advice? have you bothered? She asked for additional advice on the room. She's very happy w/the comments. if it doesn't bother her, why are your panties in a wad?

• nosoccermom

"The walls will have to stay for now " ---

Within the context, I don't interpret "any other suggestions" as replacing the front door. OP responds to your rug suggestions, but, hey, advise away. You're the pro.