0

Oklahoma Peas OMG I hate this format

bon

2nd go around to post! Much has been written about these adn I can't find them! Honestly it might be my software that no longer uses google and search, but it seems Houzz just wants to data mine and for that it likes control. Ugh! CAN WE HAVE SOME PRIVACY AND CONTROL?

_END RANT_

When are you starting your peas?

I don't think I've been starting them early enough. Decided to just seed all over the place and let the plants tell me what they like with sun, temps, micro climate goodness or whatever. I know to plant to avoid frost, but that's a joke right? Just re-seed !!!

Dawn, I know your weather runs 10 days to 2 weeks ahead of our central Oklahoma. If you start, it's good to know that up above needs to get ready, keh

• Rebecca (7a)

I probably won’t start sugar snaps and snow peas for at least another month.

bon thanked Rebecca (7a)
  • AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

I think Dawn is chasing grand kids. Peas will tolerate cold weather, but they won't germinate in cold soil. I have the best luck germinating indoors. 1/2 TP rolls work nicely, because you can put them in the ground without disturbing the roots. You plant them as soon as they germinate. My notes say to plant 6 weeks before last frost, for me that is the end of Feb/early March.

I'm not thrilled with the format either.

Here's a link I had saved about peas. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2077241/anyone-have-experience-with-sugar-snap-peas-in-ok

• bon

thank you thank you thank you both.

Okay Amy. Ima bring in some garden soil so it will warm up and let them germinate them place them out. I'm beginning to remember vermin problems with peas.

I have large sandstone blocks in the garden. I'll check their temperatures. Now I'm remember that I got good germination on some herbs early in spring when planted by the sandstone. Should be fun to trial everything including the toilet paper rolls.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Bon, First, to address the search issues here. I find it easier to search on Google just starting off with Garden Web Oklahoma Forum and then adding whatever topic I want to search for. It works better than searching within Houzz.

As for the issues using GW since it became a part of Houzz? In a lot of ways, it feels like GW is dying a slow death here. Will things ever get better? Who knows. I still think the odds are just that one morning we'll wake up and GW will be gone without warning.....lost in space, so to speak, forever. Let's be realistic here. It is admirable that Houzz saved GW in the first place and I know that we're all grateful they did, but if we all stay here on the GW section of Houzz and don't spend money shopping on Houzz or hiring Pro's through Houzz, that what benefit are we GWers to them? They aren't making money off of us so what incentive do they have to keep GW operating? I don't really see that there is an upside them as far as getting a good return on their investment in Garden Web. So, it seems inevitable that one day we will come here, or try to come here, only to discover that GW is simply gone. That's why Lisa and Bruce started a couple of FB pages for Oklahoma gardeners---so we have a way to stay in touch with one another and talk gardening if Garden Web ever ceases to operate. Those FB pages now have thousands of members. I'd like to think Houzz will keep GW and keep it functioning, but I cannot see how it benefits them economically to do so. So, we deal with the glitches and issues that we encounter here because at least we all are able to still talk about gardening and life with one another here. I just try to appreciate GW at Houzz even with all its faults because at least for now we still have it.

Peas are hard here. They need to be planted in cold weather in order to have any chance of beating the heat, but cool-season peas are prone to rot in cold, wet soils before they ever germinate, hence the germination indoors and then the transplanting outdoors. To be blunt, the idea of direct-sowing cool-season peas in our climate at the time that is supposed to be right for them is a fool's errand that will give you seed rotting in the ground long before it can germinate. I've done it before, in our early years here, and the germination was very slow and very spotty and required that I constantly sow new seeds to replace seeds that rotted. You spend 4-6 weeks trying to get pea seeds to germinate in cold, wet soil and by the time they germinate, the weather is warming up so quickly that it pretty much assures you won't get much harvest, if any. if you were sowing in a raised bed with perfect drainage or into containers then maybe you can get quicker germination and less rotting of the seeds, but few of us have perfect drainage even in raised beds, and not many people grow peas in containers like Rebecca does.

I'm going to start my sugar snap peas indoors in little paper cups this week and transplant them outdoors whenever the weather seems stable enough. Ha ha. I am not sure when that will happen because the outlooks show a bitter cold front coming next week and possibly beyond through perhaps the end of February at least, so I'm thinking more towards early March. And, really, early March is closer than it sounds because we're almost to mid-February already. You can see the 6-10 day temperature outlook from the Climate Prediction Center in the link below, if I can get it to link there. It looks pretty rough, and the 8-14 day outlook doesn't look any better. Who knows what the weather will be beyond that---I haven't looked at the 1-month and 3-month outlooks, as I trust my gardening instincts as much as I trust those outlooks, and my garden instincts (laughingly referred to as 'the voices in my head') have been telling me for months now to go slow with spring planting and to not get in any kind of a hurry at all, so that's what I've been doing: pretty much nothing.

CPC's 6-10 Day Temperature Outlook

Planting pre-spouted pea plants, no matter how small and even if they have only barely sprouted, in the ground in early March in general is a time that has worked out well for my peas over the years, but sometimes the cold keeps them stalled and not growing much for too long. There isn't much we can do about that. It also is a royal PITA to start peas inside and then have to harden them off and transplant them out, but if you wait until the soil is warm enough to directly sow them, then you are almost guaranteed that by the time the plants sprout and grow, the weather is going to get too hot and they'll never get a chance to provide you with much of a harvest, if with any harvest at all. Once your pea seeds have germinated and started growing, they can handle a lot of cold, although severe cold or heavy frost while they are blooming will knock the blossoms right off of them, so you can transplant them out, but if they've been indoors, they lack prior hardening to cold, sunlight and wind so you have to acclimate them and harden them off like anything else grown indoors.

There have been a few years with cooler than average spring weather where my snap peas produced heavily well into June, but those years are the exception to the rule. I remember one awesome year when I put up about 35 pounds of snap peas in the freezer, and that's not counting all the ones we were eating fresh. We haven't had a good pea year like that here in ages now because we warm up too early any more. What usually happens is that just about the time the peas are really beginning to produce heavily, the mid- to late-May heat kicks off powdery mildew, and once it starts occurring, there's really nothing you can do to stop it. Another problem is that some years the heat typical of mid-May arrives in mid-April, further shortening the window of opportunity for peas to produce. The pea pods themselves become infested with the powdery mildew when it shows up, whether that occurs in April, May or June, rendering them unsightly and unpalatable. When that happens, I yank out my plants and move on because there is no point to fighting the PM---it is a battle you won't win and at that point you're just wasting valuable time and space that would produce a better harvest of a warm-season crop.

There were a few years here where I pretty much gave up entirely on all cool-season crops and stopping planting all of them except garlic, potatoes and onions because we were getting too hot too early for any of them to do well. That was probably in the 2004-2009 or 2010 time frame. I'm really not sure 2011-2014 were any better, but I kept trying with the cool-season crops anyhow. Every year the weather guys here on the local TV channel would be talking about it being "the hottest winter ever" for our area, year after year, and I could see that in the poor performance of cool-season crops. Since 2015, we have had slightly cooler spring weather overall and more moisture in spring, and some cool-season crops have done very well, but there's still times when I ponder whether it makes more sense to go back to growing only a handful of root crops (and maybe kale, since it is really heat-tolerant here in my garden) and to save most of the garden space for warm-season crops. I'm pondering trying that next year if this spring proves to be a bad year for cool-season crops. We simply go from too cold to too hot in a shockingly brief time frame some years. Perhaps this isn't as much of an issue for those of you further north, but it is a constant issue for me here down south....where, need I remind everyone, we were hitting the low 80s last week, so already seeing a brief glimpse of early heat of that type that drives cool-season crops into poor production.

There are times I think that sugar snap peas aren't even worth the time and effort I put into raising them, but then, one spring morning when I am standing in the garden, plucking pods off the vine and eating them fresh right there in the garden....at a moment like that, they are worth it. The whole issue then becomes how long you can keep them producing like that and since it is weather-dependent, there's no guarantees. Sometimes the first early picking of peas is the only good one, sometimes they produce for a couple of months. You just never know what you'll get.

Dawn

• bon

*hugs* Thanks Dawn! 35lbs? Holy moly. Best I can get is when I find a bunch of pea pods on sale at the grocer. They don't make it long. The first time I did this, I bought 2 lbs and discovered that frozen pea pods in the middle of summer were fabulous.

It really is nice thinking that pea harvests can be counted on, but you're right. I'll keep trying for an occasional treat.

If your search is still working then its just a lack of memory on my Boolean searches because I haven't searched in a while. I'll persist until the algos know what I'm searching for.

I agree with you on the depletion of the GW site. It probably won't survive. My back up is over at George's proboards.

I can't tolerate facebook any more or any major social media site for that matter.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7

You're welcome, Bon.

I have no issues with FB because I control how I use it. I just scroll past anything that doesn't interest me, and I don't do any of those stupid quizzes, tests, etc. Oh, and when anyone says "post this if you care about whatever....I think I already know who will post this"....blah, blah, blah, I just want to slap them upside the head but instead I just ignore whatever garbage they're trying to get everyone to forward, share or whatever. I am never going to be one to mindlessly repost garbage. I really could care less about memes or things that have gone viral, unless they are cute dog or cat videos.

I have a former sister-in-law whom I adore who sends all sort of junk on Messenger that you're supposed to forward on to other people. Never have done it, never will. In fact, all those things die right there with me when they show up.

I snooze people (including family members and folks I otherwise consider good friends) if they are basically using FB to sell stuff. I hate salesmen and I hate seeing FB turned into one big selling opportunity. It there is something I want to buy, I go and find it....I don't need to have someone telling me all day every day on FB to buy it and to buy it from them.

I ignore all those social media people that everyone refers to as influencers. They certainly don't influence me because I pay them no mind. lol. I also don't watch YouTube, no matter who it is and no matter who suggests that so-and-so on YouTube is well worth watching. Not to me, they aren't. Of course, I don't watch a lot of TV either, so maybe a person either is or isn't a TV person, whether it is real TV or YouTube.

Otherwise I do like I using FB to stay caught up on what's going on in my friends' lives, in our neighborhood/community and I like the way we gardeners can discuss gardening on our FB groups. You do have to wade through a lot of junk on FB to find the good stuff, though. Even on the gardening groups, I scroll past a lot of the endless, repetitive stuff. There's only so many ways we can say "it is too early to plant" and some people are going to plant far too early anyhow, no matter how many times everyone tells them it is too early.

I consider social media a tool to be used, or ignored, as preferred or wanted or needed. I don't do Instagram, Twitter or any of the other social media stuff as there's just not enough hours in the day to get into all that. I don't post many photos on FB---almost never, in fact, preferring to keep my private life private. Pumpkin (the cat) likes to watch cat videos with me, but he has poor manners and likes to attack the cats on the computer screen so I generally don't let him watch those videos. He also likes to walk on the laptop and stand on it, as he is trying to do right now, as it is a surefire way to get attention.

I much prefer this forum to social media, but feel like social media is killing most forums too, which is very unfortunate.

bon thanked Okiedawn OK Zone 7
  • Nancy RW (zone 7)

I laughed so hard, Dawn! Slap up alongside the head indeed. And I also have two "friends" who send me a lot of stupid stuff by messenger.

bon thanked Nancy RW (zone 7)
  • jlhart76

I admit, I am quick to repost stuff I find funny, cute, amusing, outrageous, or baffling. And my instagram account should just be renamed "jens doggie pics". But the "repost if you love jesus" and "please share with everyone" posts die on my screen. To be fair, though, I've been on social media for 20+ years, since before there was social media (old school list servs and chat rooms) and have always found value in utilizing it as a tool.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Nancy, I guess we all have friends like that.

Jen, I like the stuff you repost, and I love the doggie picks. And, I agree, social media is a tool we can utilize however we please. I think that might be the key to being happy with it---utilizing it as it suits us and not letting it take over our lives.

I do love how we can use social media to get the word out quickly when pets are lost or found. It amazes me how often social media helps someone find a lost pet or reunite a found one with the proper family. Sometimes I'll see in my feed where one person posts a photo of a lost pet at about the same time someone else is posting a photo of a found pet---and it is the same pet so reunification happens quickly. I just love it when that happens.

I hope Houzz keeps GardenWeb forever, but we all know we need a back-up plan so we can keep in touch if anything happens.

Dawn

bon thanked Okiedawn OK Zone 7
  • AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

After we almost lost GW the last time, I began copying particularly useful info and placing it in an app I have that can be searched. You can't really put things in pintrest, because it requires photos. Searching in facebook sucks with a capital s.

I also resent anything that TELLS me to share. Don't guilt me with religion, sad puppies or politics! And don't chain mail me in messenger. Most of that is from unsophisticated users who don't realize that is one way people get hacked. Oh, and answering those cute "lists" that tell you to fill in your own info, like your first car or the name of your high school. That is data mining for security question answers. That said, my obsession with tomatoes was started on FB and the flames were fanned here by Dawn. I'm on FB to see what my kids are doing, LOL.

Oh, and Jen, you come up with some exceptionally funny stuff on FB, I enjoy them!

• Macmex

I suspect Houz will keep GW simply because it really doesn't cost them to do so, and, however small a percentage, somebody using the forums will probably purchase something. GW keeps traffic going to Houz, when I suspect they would get very little.

Green Country Seed Savers is growing slowly. It costs nothing to keep it going. Of course, it makes me nothing as well. Proboards probably makes a little bit on advertising. I'm grateful to Proboards for the venue.

I struggle with Facebook at times, while at the same time, I'm supposed to utilize it in driving traffic to Homesteading Edu . Actually, there's a lot of great things about Facebook, though you all have already mentioned some of the worst things. I'd stay on Facebook, if for no other reasons, than that it's my main connection to hundreds of friends in Mexico. I do enjoy doing blogs and posting them on Facebook.

Bon, I don't know if you've tried it, but Duckduckgo is another search site, which simply searches for what you ask. Google has adopted some strategies which include a more "interpretive" approach. If you ask strictly for one thing, they may well list things that they believe you want to know, based on their own world view. Duckduckgo neither records your search history nor tries to influence you by directing you to favored websites.

Yikes! I need to get going on the garden! Rototiller is down. I've been spending so much time on firewood, especially since I'm keeping my daughter in firewood, as well as ourselves.

In December Jerreth (my wife) finished a masters degree in instructional design. She did this over three years, while working full time. The degree helps her with her current employment, and it helps us tremendously on Homesteading Edu. We're about to roll out a new course, on Livestock Guardian Dogs; the largest, most involved course we've ever done.

I completed a course on WordPress and am now doing an online course for more computer IT and Internet certification. This should help with our website and perhaps enable me to obtain a better paying job. The days are so full. Often we feel stretched beyond our limits.

I need to start some Sugar Snaps on the back porch. (Thought I'd never mention the topic, eh?!). I always think of this as "Dorothy's method." I grew up direct seeding, which sometimes flops here. I don't know exactly why, though I suspect it's due to our erratic weather. Up North, I've heard of people planting peas in frozen ground, using a power drill. They'd sprout when things warmed up and make a crop. NOT SO in Oklahoma!

bon thanked Macmex
  • bon

George, sometimes I wonder if it's just the nature of edible peas. My wild sweet pea vines don't care about the weather and also the Austrian peas cover crops. The Ausrians are edible, but y ucky. Can at the shoots. Just plant seeds and forget and you go back a month later and they're there.

I notice you've been real busy! The website looks fantastic as I recently went there.

I pray for you about the dogs, there is something evil among the so-called advocates of animal rights and they don't understand working dogs. I recently had a litter of pups that I had to re-home and the advocates I was trying to get to help me were abusive and not understanding. They would have destroyed the dogs. I managed to handle it by myself but it set me back in my life about 18 months. I had to stop everything just for those pups.

These are 2nd generation mutts, descendants of police dogs (dutch shepherd and belgium malanoise cros) and can turn when they're spade and could never ever be bred for the same reason. It was a feat to have half of them neutered myself to be safe. I had to be ready to put the girls down if they turned. But it turned out okay.

I weaned them right at 6 weeks and put them with a gentle surrogate. Thank god I had the other female good with pups!! God was with me the whole way.

They were crossed just enough to breed out the instabilities I guess. I had to scrutinize the potential owners. They could never ever be neglectful or abusive. I'd visit their home or I would spend weeks getting to know them. I turned down 2/3rds of people who wanted them! My gawd, they were beautiful dogs.

Two have been through training and only one have I been able to keep up with one. He pulls the socks off a disabled little girl.

If anyone is wondering, you need to have the vet services or disabled dog services come get them right at 7 weeks.

So, that was an extremely harrowing experience for me, George. I wasn't public! You've got to do all this on public forums and I just cannot imagine the negativity. There are a lot of positive folks, too, but wow.

Yet, the breed you have is extremely popular for livestock guarding and I"ve known others who raise and breed them having clients all over the US often flying in to pick up their puppy Pyrenees. Your new course should be a big hit!!

I'm amazed at all you and your wife are doing. I feel lazy in comparison!

• Macmex

Yikes! I tend to be gunshy of "rescue groups." There are some good ones, but some are kooks.

Fortunately, we've only had good encounters with those who drop in any any of our websites. We've been announcing "the launch" of Homesteading Edu for two years. Well, I think it will indeed happen soon. We just keep learning more about what has to happen. And, one thing is certain, if a website has amateur type errors, it won't fly.

Fortunately, boards like this, are okay with imperfections. The main thing in a board like this is the relationship and information flow between members. Oklahoma Gardening is still great for that. I think that both this forum and Green Country Seed Savers tend to suffer from the same weakness, though. Both have a problem with "lengthiness." Green Country Seed Savers has some threads which are incredibly long, and just keep getting added onto. I think newcomers will often turn away from that, as compared to many shorter, and more recent threads. Here, the threads grow so long, so fast, that I think some folk skip, because they don't want to take the time to read it all. Unwillingly, I'm being drawn into this group, as I don't have the time I would like. I tend to drop in and "flit away" because of time constraints.

I want to do courses for so many things, and, we're gathering materials for them. But it is a lengthy process, involving hundreds of hours, to produce a course. We'll just keep plugging along.

bon thanked Macmex
  • bon

I pray you're guided into a wealth-building niche and you're able to reduce your hours to do what you really love off hours.