0

What to cook with ...

Funkyart

I am stuck at home today due to ice/snow.. the same ice/snow threw off my grocery delivery (I don't drive these days) and I have a potluck lunch tomorrow! Normally, this wouldn't be a major issue but since my eye surgery, I haven't been cooking much and I don't have many (any!) fresh ingredients.. so I thought I'd share what I have and let all you great and creative cooks make suggestions!

Note: soup would be the easiest but I do not have a crockpot and our stock of paper goods doesn't include bowls.

I have:

• boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen)
  • Roasted garlic and herb chicken sausage (frozen, store made-- not prepackaged)
  • Ground chicken (frozen)
  • eggs
  • a package of frozen spinach
  • Phyllo dough
  • puff pastry
  • a good amount of shredded parmesan
  • walnuts, pistachios, sesame seeds
  • pasta.. but not much of any one kind
  • jasmine white rice, brown basmati rice, barley, TJ's Harvest Grain mix
  • garlic, shallots & yellow onions
  • sweet potatoes
  • celery
  • semi stocked pantry.. so broth, tomato sauce, hot sauce, breadcrumbs, wide range of spices. etc

normal stuff everyone has that I do not:

• milk
  • any cheese other than parm
  • any other fresh vegetables
  • lemons, limes, etc..
  • fresh veggies

OK, kitchen magicians.. what do you think?

• Feathers11

If you have soy sauce, I would make this fried rice and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top as garnish.

I also think you could vary this stuffed chicken recipe by adding more parmesan in place of the mozzarella.

Funkyart thanked Feathers11
  • Joaniepoanie

I'm no cook, but what jumped out at me from your list was spinach and Parmesan puff pastry/phyllo bites/squares.

Funkyart thanked Joaniepoanie
  • lascatx

I'd wing it and use the puff pastry to make savory turnovers with one of your three chicken choices, some celery, onion, garlic, spinach and parmesan, And egg for brushing the top. Tasty, different and will go with any soup or salads brought as well as stand on it's own pretty nicely.

You could also use some rice (I'd like the multi-grain type, but any would work), slice that sausage, some onion and celery, the spinach and a can of tomatoes -- maybe some mushrooms if you have those in a can or jar.

You could make spinach, egg and parm filling for some phyllo or puff pastry pockets or shells .....

That's just a first glance. I think you have a number of options.

Funkyart thanked lascatx
  • eld6161

I would do something with the rice. It would travel the best and you can make it the night before.

Funkyart thanked eld6161
  • Sherry

Chicken, sausage, sweet potatoes, onion, celery, garlic roasted on a sheet pan. served over mixed pasta or rice. Grated parm over top. If you have olive oil, toss everything in olive oil before roasting. Bonus points for having dried oregano, bay leaves, thyme, ect.

For next time, keep evaporated milk in pantry.

Funkyart thanked Sherry
  • lakeaffect

Dirty rice with chicken or jambalaya, albeit without sausage.

Funkyart thanked lakeaffect
  • Funkyart

I am so sorry -- I posted this early this morning and when I checked in an hour ago, it was still not posting. It looks like it started appearing for you all an hour ago. As of 1pm, nothing had defrosted yet so I put them back in the freezer. Potluck is tomorrow so i'd have to cook this evening.

I will not be making anything-- I'll purchase something for this one. I really am not using a knife well since my eye surgery so it's probably best.

FWIW, I was going to make spinach stuffed chicken spirals-- I have everything I need for it (chicken, shallots, parmesan, garlic) except fresh spinach. Not sure how frozen would have stood up but I was going to give it a go-- until nothing had defrosted.

I feel terrible that you all spent time on responding.. but since it wasn't displaying, I couldn't even delete the post when I realized nothing would defrost in time.

• lakeaffect

No worries, funkyart, I think many of us here, even if we never posted in the Cooking Forum, love a good POOF or POOP challenge, honestly, leaning to use what's on hand in inventive ways has made me a better cook.

Funkyart thanked lakeaffect
  • mtnrdredux_gw

The woman who used to cook for us (alas retired) used to make a wonderful pistachio crusted chicken breast with a hint of mustard. Id make that and serve w/ baked sweet potatoes and spinach

Funkyart thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Funkyart thanked localeater
  • Sherry

It is not a waste. If you see something you like, use it later.

Funkyart thanked Sherry
  • Funkyart

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions and the understanding.

I should further explain two important things.. 1. I think I am the only person in the country who doesn't have or use a microwave (hate them!)-- so no way to quickly defrost. 2. I have developed a throbbing weather headache AND I don't see well so I lost any interest in trying to cook something as my window of opportunity grew smaller.

So I am leaning towards something I can ASSEMBLE vs COOK. If grocery deliveries are running again tonight, I am thinking I'll order fresh steamed shrimp and get ingredients for a spicy citrus shrimp cocktail.

If groceries aren't being delivered, I'll pick up a dessert in the morning.

• Feathers11

Those sound like great options, Funkyart. And I enjoy threads like this because of the good ideas that come from them, so none of my time was wasted. In fact, I'm trying one of the recipes I found for you myself this evening.

Funkyart thanked Feathers11
  • Funkyart

Feathers, Thank you so much!

I think it will be delicious without mozzarella! I make a recipe very similar to that-- and I don't use mozz at all. The filling is fresh spinach, garlic, shallot .. and then a load of shredded parm. I don't bread the outside, instead, I roll it in the good ol' green can parmesan (fancy stuff inside, can on outside). It is delicious-- a dish that two of my nieces request over and over. (I also make an appetizer of it-- by slicing into spirals)

• eld6161

Funky, would you mind sharing your chicken spinach spiral recipe.

• Funkyart

Eld.. it's one I do from my head (because I made it up). If you are comfortable with a loose recipe, I am happy to share. I am about to jump on a conf call at 7:30pm.. I will try to type it up later tonight.

• Funkyart

Let's see if this works, I found this in email.. I had typed it up for one of my nephews a few years ago.

Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts
    (Healthy Replacement for Chicken Parmesan)

Note: The recipe calls for two kinds of parmesan-- wrapped inside the chicken is the better parmesan. Shred yourself or you can use the fancy shredded parm that's prepackaged. You need the stuffing to have a meltable parm. Coating the outside of the chicken (in place of traditional breading) is plain old Kraft-in-a-green-can parmesan .. or you can use the fresh kind but it does need to be in powder form.

One final note, I no longer bother with the egg wash before coating the chicken with parmesan. The wetness of the chicken and a little pressure is sufficient to coat.. this does result in a paler color when done.

Ingredients

• 4 skinless chicken breasts
    • 1 bag fresh spinach ripped into small pieces (use the full bag-- don't get scared that it is too much. It cooks down a lot as it heats and releases moisture)
    • 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (I use slip a little more in)
    • 1 medium onion or 1 large shallot, minced (finer than chopped)
    • +/- 1 tsp minced garlic
    • 1 Tbl olive oil
    • 1 egg
    • +/1 1/2 c parmesan from a can
    • oregano (fresh or freeze dried)
    • Parsley, chopped
    • paprika
    • 1 additional Tbl olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 375 deg. Coat a ceramic or pyrex baking dish with a light layer of olive oil.

Prepare Filling:
    2. Sauté garlic and onion in olive oil until onion is soft and translucent.
    3. Add spinach and minced garlic. Continue sauteeing until spinach is wilted.
    4. Remove from heat and add grated fresh parmesan. Mix the sauted vegetables and cheese with salt, pepper and a touch of oregano.

Prepare the Chicken Rolls:

5. Pound chicken breasts between layers of saran wrap until about 1/4 thick all around. Try to maintain a somewhat oblong shape.
    6. Spread 1/4 of the filling in each of the 4 chicken breasts. The layer doesn’t have to be thick and do not take filling the whole way to the edge. Roll the chicken breast starting at a short end. Tuck any stray pieces in or under to make a nicely shaped package.

Coat the Chicken Rolls:
    7. In a flat dish or casserole, combine the parmesan from a can with a shake or two of your favorite herbs. I use garlic powder, oregano and parsley. Set aside
    8. Beat the egg loosely in a wide shallow bowl.
    9. Dip the top and sides of the chicken roll first in the egg, then in the parmesan mixture and place in the baking pan open side down. Be sure to cover much of the breast in parmesan. Repeat for each roll.
    10. sprinkle a little paprika on top of each roll.

Bake

11. Bake the chicken for 25-30 min. The top will be a golden brown and the chicken will be cooked through.

Serve

• You can serve as is, with a dollop of your favorite tomato sauce or cool slightly and slice into spiral coins for a prettier presentation (or for appetizer portions)

• artemis_ma

I belong to a group that prides itself on making homemade dishes, pot luck, nothing store bought (or at least, store-cooked and assembled).

However, the organizer of this group once came to one of our dinners bringing store bought shrimp and dip -- things had gone haywire where she worked and she didn't have the extra hours to make what she'd planned on making.

People understand this. It's not wrong to just swing by and pick up something to share. Life throws out things we all trip over several times or more.

Oh, Funkyart, do share your chicken spinach spiral recipe?

• Funkyart

Oh .. people will understand! I just didn't want to buy something. I did get a grocery delivery late yesterday evening-- but they weren't steaming shrimp-- so my plan fell through. I should have gone with something more simple. I had also tried to order the team's favorite cookie (it's a splurge) but the bakery had shut down due to the weather. I am about to go pick up cannoli lol. I think this is like Plan E!

Artemis, the chicken spiral recipe is above-- after you cook the spinach stuffed chicken (which is rolled), you cut it into slices which are spiraled. They're really quite pretty.

• mtnrdredux_gw

Making Funky's chicken tonight! looks so yummy

• Funkyart

haha Somehow "Funky's Chicken" sounds a bit funny-- of course, I am used to people here calling me Funky.. but paired with chicken??

Hope you enjoy!

• lakeaffect

The "Funky Chicken" is a song with a specific dance, mtn will have to let us know if they burst into the dance, post dinner, of course.