0

Which method would you prefer to work with an interior designer?

We have worked with clients in numerous ways in regards to interior design projects. As a consumer, which method would you prefer if working with an interior designer?

Pay the designer by the hour and get the furniture at cost.
Pay the designer a small fixed design fee and get the furniture at retail cost.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Unless you have money to burn, or you trust the designer, you are going to wonder about what drives the choices he is making, and if he makes more money selling Poltrona Frau than B & B Italia or Cassina, you will wonder if he made the choice for your benefit or his.

Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • joelcoqui

How about pay the designer a small fee and client can do the furniture shopping themselves. I also agree with Zalco.

Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors thanked joelcoqui
  • artemis_ma

There is absolutely no way I'd choose the first option. Even if a designer and I seemed compatible before I signed on... I still have to live with everything I pick, and some may not be part of what he/she can offer wholesale.

Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors thanked artemis_ma
  • mnmamax3

I think a lot more people are choosing joelcoqui's option (where the customer does the shopping with a plan prepared by a designer), especially considering the increased number of online options available. It's a great way to get the design help you need, but be able to tweak your preferences to match your budget. It's difficult for a designer to always know is you prefer form over function, or softness over durability, or material over price, and frankly that can vary from piece to piece. I want my couch to be well-contructed and last for years and I will pay a little extra for that. But I could care less if you get me cheap knick-knacks or art.

Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors thanked mnmamax3
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

It depends on my budget. If the budget is huge, then the designer can buy the furniture (with my approval, of course.) If the budget is small, then I shop and pay the designer for his/her time.