Software
Houzz Logo Print
lkayetwvz5

Global Warming put into a recognizable perspective...

7 years ago

Excellent article in USA Today titled "Global warming will make New York City feel like Arkansas by 2080." The article says that by 2080 if we do nothing to stop more greenhouse gas emissions our individual climates will have moved to a southern equivalent of 528 miles. Even if we do something more about emissions it will still be 319 miles. So Minneapolis will be like southern Kansas and Miami will be like southern Mexico. Remember when retirees in the northern tier used to go to Florida for the winter? Canada will probably start building a wall to keep American's from migrating north!

Comments (24)

  • 7 years ago

    Miami will probably be underwater lol. The coastline of Florida and the whole East Coast, really, is going to be changed drastically as sea levels rise.

    https://coast.noaa.gov/digitalcoast/tools/slr

  • 7 years ago

    China is playing the long game by causing global warming and eliminating Florida and California lol


  • 7 years ago

    Alexandra Ocasio said the world will end in the next 12 years. Therefore, you guys don't need to worry about 2080

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Much of the California coast will also be inundated.

  • 7 years ago

    I read this article last week about trying to combat the methane problem https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-eating-seaweed-can-help-cows-to-belch-less-methane

  • 7 years ago

    and the city has been composting green stuff to reduce methane coming from the dump https://recycle.com/organics-compost-vs-landfill/

  • 7 years ago

    It's going to take a lot of ingenuity and investment to solve this problem. I found this NY Times article pretty interesting. The Tiny Swiss Company That Thinks It Can Help Stop Climate Change

  • 7 years ago

    Indeed, there has been a lot of discussion about methane as a greenhouse gas, not just CO2. It seems like the common advice to combat methane is to reduce consumption of animal products -- particularly beef and mutton. I want to make a joke here about beans not helping solve this problem, but don't know quite how to frame it in a tasteful way.

  • 7 years ago

    Wow, that is so cool! Thanks so much Amanda for posting links to these articles. I am so glad to see innovative ways businesses are finding to reduce methane.

    Chris, that's certainly interesting.

    K S, I wonder how many pounds of beef is consumed a day by a person living in North America? Not sure if people would like to give up on their beef though!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I'm still doing my level best to try to prevent the "mini ice age" that started in the 1970's from progressing to the point of destroying civilization, which was to have happened by 1990, aren't you?

    Boy, am I out of touch with reality! Now it's global warming, sorry, climate change.

    You mean to tell me now, that the earth will be destroyed in twelve years, by 2031, as AOC says, if we don't do somethin' fast?

    I think I'll wait this one out, but still keep my bottle of Dr. Weaver's Comet Pills where I can get to them fast, just in case!

    Moses

  • 7 years ago
    Nova has an excellent two hour special that summarizes everything regarding climate change and what we can do to mitigate and adapt. Humans are extremely resilient, I am not the least bit worried about our ability to adapt and change with a changing climate. We understand more and more, especially in the last few decades, the science behind it.
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/decoding-the-weather-machine
    Also if anyone wants to see the best weather map ever made, click below. click on square earth icon, bottom left, to make a menu appear and disappear. Select 3HPA (3 hr precipitation accumulation) for a rain overlay. Plus, just play around for lots of other fun features like seeing the jet stream at 250hPa. I watched the intense hurricane season last year here and noticed hurricanes forming in the Atlantic before they were even reporting them on the news. https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-95.56,31.00,489/loc=-118.594,34.327
  • 7 years ago

    I wish the media would stop writing these fearmongering and apocalytic articles and instead focus on constructive articles that help businesses and people become better stewards of the land and natural resources. That's why gardening forums like this are so wonderful. We help one another with tips, advice, and shared experience to become better at gardening and growing plants sustainably and in tune with nature.

  • 7 years ago

    What troubles me so much about climate change besides the obvious is that it has now become a political issue. What it should be is a citizen of planet earth issue. If almost all scientists agree that it is a severe problem, then it is criminal for those in power to ignore it or even deny that it exists.

  • 7 years ago

    I don't think it is a good idea to criminalize people for their beliefs or expression though. That is a very very dangerous precedent to set. It will allow people in powers to misuse it by criminalizing anything that they don't like. I mean what will prevent them to criminalize something like praying or speaking up against corruption for example?

  • 7 years ago

    Well it looks like it has started the Snowflakes are coming out of the basements with the 'The sky is falling....' Oops, sorry, it's 'The air is getting hotter....' (they forgot to eat their Bean-no pills...)


    Hey folks this is a Rose forum, not the stupid fake news... okay!!

  • 7 years ago

    When 98% of the world's climatologists believe that global warming is happening and when we can see firsthand the huge changes in weather patterns that we are already experiencing, including epic flooding and forest fires, and the large increase in tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes, most reasonable people will not talk about fake news.

  • 7 years ago



  • 7 years ago

    You are right Ingrid, I got carried away. After all I did hear on a news site that we only have 12 years to live due to global warming. I guess you agree with that person so enjoy you next 12 years.....

  • 7 years ago

    It seems to me that a climate shift is an important topic for rose growers. How many roses have our friends in California already lost to strange weather (including fire, drought, flood)? And just this year an insane "polar vortex," caused by a displacement of polar air to the south (since apparently the air over the pole was unseasonably hot) pushed the gardens of my Midwestern relatives well out of the standards for their zone. A few of them grow a passalong rose that has been in the family for at least 150 years (probably a heck of a lot more) and it is an open question as to whether or not it will survive -40 F. I'm glad I have a specimen out here in the Pacific Northwest, just in case. Anyway, there is no reason to get "triggered" just because people see things differently and want to talk about it.

  • 7 years ago

    Science doesn't care what you believe. I will not be enjoying watching the planet go downhill. At least you didn't offer thoughts and prayers, Tool, so that's a good thing.

  • 7 years ago

    Religion, politics, money.



  • 7 years ago

    don't feed the rose trolls :p


  • 7 years ago

    lkayetwvz5 did what I call a “drive by”.