0

Should I add an accent wall?

Parje1
last modified: February 16, 2019

I'm rethinking my bathroom design and wondering if I should add an accent wall? With my bathroom layout, I wasn't sure I could pull off an accent wall behind the mirror.

Here is my current bath. The rest of the house is contemporary. This is our last room to remodel. We held off until our daughter got older.

The pony wall, weird header above the vanity will be removed. Tub/shower walls will go to the ceiling. There is still a 2 inch deep alcove between the toilet wall and vanity wall.

Our vanity is being custom made finished with Stevenswood Midnight Echo. Kind of an espresso color. This picture is a similar frame/drawer look as ours but our drawer configuration will be a mix of drawers and cabinets. Cabinet will be a little darker.

Countertop will be a white quartz with a 4 inch backsplash just along the back wall.

Tile is Bedrosians Clive Silver

If I go more modern, I would run the tile like this

Mirror will be a 36x46 polished edge floating one inch off the wall.

Lights are two sconces, one on each side of the mirror run vertical. Additional recessed lights in the ceiling.

Tub/shower is a white deeper tub with white Subway tile look walls made by Whitewater.

Can't tell if I'm just panicking..Would an accent wall work? Like this? Not necessarily this color tile. Just the idea. The budget doesn't allow tiling the entire room.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/beaconsfield-contemporary-bathroom-phvw-vp~3351697

or

https://www.houzz.com/photos/huntington-beach-2nd-bathroom-contemporary-bathroom-orange-county-phvw-vp~31143752

• Suki Kabuki

If you do the wall tile, take it all the way to the ceiling. Otherwise it looks too cut up.

• David&Sue Schoch

Note that your inspiritation photos don't have the 4" backsplash.

• mayflowers

A tiled wall would look really nice with your floating mirror and I would lean toward doing it because of the floating mirror. I would not do subway tiles though, even in glass. The look you're going for is an urban, sophisticated look.

This would be beautiful with your 2" bump-out. I love the edge profile on the tall backsplash and the herringbone accent. You could use a solid-colored tile in herringbone with your quartz counter, maybe a hand-painted light gray ceramic tile to add variation and depth, or white ceramic or a whiter marble than shown. Of course you don't need to do herringbone. Anything besides a standard subway would work.

The backsplash edge here is deeper than normal and acts as a ledge, but you can use a standard edge thickness, though I'd try to go to 2" if your faucet will fit behind the sink. You'd want to use a modern-style tall faucet with a taller backsplash.

This is a Dupont edge. It's less ornate than ogee, which you don't want with contemporary design.

• Parje1

Thanks. I think one of the photo didn't come through Mayflower. Here is our original inspiration picture. The backsplash was if we didn't tile the wall. I appreciate the help. This bathroom got added to a remodel we are currently doing last minute by my husband so my designer is out of town and I haven't had time to really plan it out like I normally do. I'm sick of it already but excited to have a fresh bath :)

• mayflowers

I don't know why it's not posting the photo. It's a Houzz photo. I put it in an Ideabook called Herringbone backsplash which you can access through my profile.

• Parje1

Thank you. I just went back to Bedrosians and they recommended running our floor tile up the wall behind the mirror. Our floor was originally planned as herringbone. There is only about 5 inches above the mirror, a foot on each side and two inches under the mirror where you would see the pattern. And we'll look for a different color quartz. I truly appreciate all the suggestions.