0

Window Treatment for kitchen

Dimitri Giannios
Hi All,

We have 3 small casement windows in our kitchen that we are trying to decide what window treatments would look best.

Our kitchen has dark cabinets with an off-white island, cream granite countertop and a more solid cream tiled backsplash (see photos).

The two casement windows on each side of our range exhaust hood each measure 14 3/4" wide by 38 1/2" height. The larger double casement window which is off to the back of our kitchen is wider at 31 1/2" wide by 38 1/2" height. The windows allow for an inside-mount fit which we think is ideal for roman shades.

We love the look of roman shades and really like the variety and styles that Graber offers. We have narrowed our choices to a few patterns (see pictures)

Our dilemmas are:

A) We'd like some general opinions on roman shades in the kitchen and on the patterns we've narrowed down to.

B) Roman shades come as classic flat or looped/hobbled options. We like hobbled, especially with inside mount (the part of the shade that cascades won't stick out too much since there is a bit of depth to the windows); however, it has been recommended to go with classic flat for patterned shades as it would interrupt the pattern less (although not convinced that an interrupted pattern looks bad).

C) Is it preferred to cover the head rail with a valence? It looks like with Graber it is recommended to get a 6" valence on roman shades; however, will that look silly on the smaller casement windows since they are only 14 3/4" wide?

Can we please get some opinions?

• chloebud

Not a pro here but my eye sees a lot of pattern with either of those two shade choices and your granite. I would let the pattern in the granite pull the focus. That way the hobbled you mentioned wouldn't be an issue. If you still want to stick with those two patterns, I vote for the one on the right in your second photo. I do like the pattern and colors in it. The other one just wouldn't work for me.

• rantontoo

I am not sure about answers to the shade questions, but I like the blue pattern best.

• chloebud

Dimitri, see what the pros here have to say. I keep looking at it and do think that one pattern is quite nice. Much better color pick with the granite, too. I just have a 'thing' when it comes to the patterns in granite competing with much else.

• Kathi Steele

You really do not want anything flammable next the cooktop. I would get a valance that goes with the fabric on the window seat.

• Dimitri Giannios
    Thanks everyone. Any other opinions, pro or otherwise?
  • Dimitri Giannios