Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen_marie_hans

What size rug for this sitting space?

Jen Hans
5 years ago
Looking to replace this current rug. This one is 5‘ x 8‘. There will be a white farmhouse style hutch where the dark wood dresser is, and a more elegant and narrower console table underneath the TV. Should I get another 5’ x 8’ rug, or are the Rules of rugs being violated here!?!
The dining space hasn’t been touched yet, as we need to refinish that corner cabinet, and likely a different dining table. And the diaper changing station won’t be there forever :-). Excuse all The other extraneous items, we just brought a newborn home.

Comments (42)

• Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I hadn’t considered a circle rug, but looking at this picture I like it. Our kitchen island is a rectangle, along with every other piece of furniture. What a circle road at a bit of flair? We don’t have enough room for a coffee table like this picture.
  • Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Any opinion? Rectangle or circle? Size?
  • darralisa
    5 years ago
    Congratulations! Looks like you have many projects going on with a toddler and newborn! A larger rug, but don’t think round is the answer. Have you considered using that dresser under your television? The table you have there now doesn’t look quite big enough. Back to your query, I prefer very thick rugs and pad where small children play. I like wool because it lasts longer, some of the synthetic rugs tend to flatten quickly. Pretty space, I look forward to seeing your progress.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

IMO the TV needs to be lowered so definately not put above the dresser I also would not be putting another hutch in this small space every piece that sits high closes in a space.If you need storage then I would use the TV wall only and check out the Besta system from Ikea to get some storage, the TV and some display all on one wall.Then all the rest of the odd pieces could be gone and the space would feel much larger all the clutter can be hidden . IMO any larger rug will not accomplish anything and the round just looks odd to me.

• Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Coincidentally those white cabinet sitting on the dining room table are the IKEA besta system. We bought them to put under the TV, but they just look way too modern for our space. I was thinking a cabinet at more like this under the TV.

The hutch has already been commissioned so it’s coming :). If it’s too crowded we’ll move it somewhere else.

So a 5x8 rug (same size as this one) is appropriate?
  • njmomma
    5 years ago

following

• louislinus
    5 years ago

I think you need a rug larger than 5x8 to ground the space. The couch is just sort of hanging out in the middle of the room. I'd want to add a chair or two.

Would you consider rearranging the furniture? I'd love to see the couch on the wall where the tv is, and move the tv to the side of the french doors. That would give you more floor space to add a living room chair and side table. If you move the couch to the short wall where the tv is you could also add end tables with lamps. The couch needs something anchoring it. It kind of appears to be floating in the space.

That being said, if i had a newborn and toddler I'd likely do be doing nothing because those times were crazy busy (for me anyway). :) Congrats on your baby!

• louislinus
    5 years ago

Or maybe flip the dining room and living room areas?

• Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The current layout works really well for our family. I know it’s not perfect. Hopefully a larger rug would help anchor it and make it look a little more purposeful. Is there anything else that we could do with this layout and the current couch to make it look a little better?

The rug in the picture is 5X8. Should I get one white enough that the couch is completely on it? Maybe a 7 x 9? 8 x 10?
  • Danette
    5 years ago

Bigger for sure. Go with the biggest size rug you can for the living room space. Right now that rug looks like a a little ice floe with a couch clinging to it :)

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

NO to a round rug but yes to bigger. I think at least 8'x10'. Nice and plush for little crawlers. Costco is a great place to look for furniture, drapes and rugs at decent prices.

• Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OK, I’m thinking an 8 x 10 and rotated so it’s just past the couch on the sides, but is about 2 feet from the TV wall and the patio door? Then the couch would be completely on it and the rug would extend behind the couch. Maybe that’s too big?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Get a rug that is almost as large as the whole room, with 12 to 18 inches of wood showing all the way around. That will immediately calm down the room and give it a more cohesive feel. The cabinet next to the French door adds nothing to the room except to be a catch-all for clutter. You do need some chairs and different lighting, because that overhead lighting is fierce. You seem to have bits of wood furniture around in every room, but not enough of what you need, which is comfortable seating. That's a precious baby on the couch. Congratulations on your new little one!

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Get out the tape measure and plan for a rug at least 2-4 feet wider than the sofa that will slip entirely under the chaise portion and under the front 1/3 of the bench portion. It can come to within 18" of walls or furniture on the walls. Tape out some versions with painter's tape and see what comes closest to a standard rug size that still fills these basic requirements. Bigger is better!

• Patrick
    5 years ago
    How about a rug underneath your dining table as well? Dependent on how big the one you get for the couch is. My rugs weren’t quite comfortable enough for my little ones so we ended up getting a carpet pad cut to put under them. Just a thought
  • Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ecoenthusiaste - Would you still do 2-4 feet wider than the couch even if the rug would then extend past the tv wall? That wall is about 10' and the couch is 6'. From the TV wall to the french door is 14'.

I'm thinking a 9'x8' rug. It would extend 1.5' on each side of the couch, and then from 1/3 of the couch to 2' from the TV wall. Only about 1' in front of a TV stand. Like my crude drawing....

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Your drawing size would work well, but pull it further from the TV stand and put the back feet of the sofa on it. I would leave a wider walking path in front of the TV and behind the sofa so you don't cause extra wear on the rug in just those spots as you walk through the room. You may be able to pull the sofa closer to the TV to tweak the walkways and the view of the TV based on its size.

• Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The couch can definitely move forward and still provide good viewing of TV. It keeps sliding backwards with only two feet on the rug.
    It looks like an 8x8 rug is what I need since couch will move forward or maybe even an 8x7 so it isn’t too close to TV stand.
    Thank you very much for your help!

I would like a rug under the dining table eventually but I’m not sure that would look right - two rugs right next to each other.
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

There is absolutely nothing wrong with two rugs next to each other as long as the colors and patterns harmonize. You have your outline with the rug laid lengthwise; see if you can make it fit going across, which really would look better at any rate.

• J J
    5 years ago
    following
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

Unless you just have a carpet bound it's going to be hard to find a square rug. The most common sizes are 5x7, 8x10' and 9x11 or 12. I really think you need at least an 8x10 run the same way your rug is now NOT the way you have it taped out. I believe it would look better and make the room feel larger if it WAS'T the same width as the sectional. You have the room. Two rugs are fine defining the dining an living areas of the room. They just need to coordinate and have common colors. Remember though that you need it to be at least wide enough to be able to pull out the chairs completely out from the table on the rug to protect your floor and not hang up when moving them

• Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    One more beautiful drawing, lol....this is about an 8x10 rotated 90 degrees from last drawing.

The rug will be a good 4 feet from the French doors for a walkway, and about 3 feet from the tv wall. We can play with those a bit but I don’t want to wear down the rug on the walking path like someone mentioned. So I think it needs to stay those distances from the wall.
    And the brown dresser will be a hutch that takes up less floor space so it won’t be as crowded for walking paths.
  • Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    If I get a really slim sofa table for behind the couch, should it be on the rug too?
  • User
    5 years ago

I agree with Ingrid and Danette that the rug needs to be a lot larger otherwise you still have the “ice floe” situation. Extending past the TV wall is ok.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

I don't think you'll want a sofa table unless you move the dresser out. You mention it will be a smaller hutch; will there be room to walk between the hutch and a sofa table?

• Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    They will be about 3 feet between the corner of the hutch and the couch.

The hutch and the sofa table wouldn’t overlap in space.

I am considering these two rugs in 8 x 10 for under the couch....
  • Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Safavieh Evoke Collection EVK270 Rug, Silver/Ivory, 8' X 10' · More Info
  • Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Safavieh Adirondack Collection ADR109 Rug, Ivory/Silver, 8'x10' · More Info
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

The rugs are nice. Maybe both for dining and living room. But really with small kids I would like to see more color. 3 feet is the minimum space to consider for a walkway. Adding a sofa table would shorten that unless you moved the sofa closer to the tv. I think your choice is one or the other. Either a sofa table or a hutch.... not both.

• Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    More color in a rug to hide the messiness?!?
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

More color just for fun because they are only small for a short time. Their things will be a part of the decor for awhile. Kids things are colorful. If you bring more color into your decor they won't stand out so much. Camouflage. but it does help hide messiness too. I would look for an easy way to corral toys for easy cleanup before company. Storage bench or ottoman, large baskets? Those 2 rugs have enough variety of color to hide things too though.

• Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The game of hide the mess for guests! We play that well. Just not (yet) with a newborn.

What color would you throw in? The only color our paint color consultant said she would bring in to the walls was a dark teal. I’m worried the rug will fight with our really busy granite. True/not true? I went with mostly white, creams,and grays just because I didn’t want it to dominate, just to find the space and lighten up the floor a bit. Bounce some light around.
  • Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You might talk me into color....

What about this one?

• Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Safavieh EVOKE 510 Area Rug, Beige/Turquoise, 8'x10' · More Info

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

The second rug has the same feel as the first 2 you posted. I'd use the pictire above the dresser as a insperation if you plan in keeping it in the room. Lots of color to pick from it. The first rug seems to have all those colors. bring in color with pillows, throws, art And small accessories. I like the cabinet you thought about for the tv too. The rug you choose ties it all together. you know what you like and want. Really my favorite thing to say about decor is to buy the things you love and you will love the room.

• Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Well we ordered our rug and got it yesterday, I’m not sure I like it. It looks a lot busier than in the photo. And the colors are a lot brighter. Does it make sense that a rug would compete with granite?
  • Jen Hans
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Another pic
  • J J
    5 years ago
    I'm no expert but I like it!
  • Danette
    5 years ago
    Big improvement over the first rug! I don't think it's too busy at all; and it's pup-approved! Thanks for posting an update.
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

I think it's the perfect size, so much better than the smaller one. works well with your mason jar island lighting Too. Didn't even notice them before. Looks like a nice, comfortable family home with an old dog and new baby. Does your husband like it?