Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k32shooter

Fire Alarm Heuchera

Well it's been a few years since this Heuchera has came out, what's everyone's thoughts on it now? Has it grown as expected (Height, & Width)? Does it pretty much keep its pretty red color? Lastly would you buy it again?

Anyone have any photos of one with a few years growth?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    5 years ago

Love Fire Alarm Heuchera color stays and very pretty all summer. Only problem is it did not come back in the spring. All my other Heucheras do fine over the winter. Maybe in Georgia you would have better luck with it then me in Michigan.

David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a) thanked Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
  • David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I do have one which I expect to be outstanding this year. It looks really good so far. I transplanted it early last year in a effort to save it, I had originally planted four around a tree. I had lost three of them so I decided to move it to a better location. So far it Looks great. I'm guessing they were just not in a suitable location before. Anyhow I was thinking about adding another to go with the one that survived and just wanted to know how everyone else felt about it now. I'll try to post a pic. of it later today.

Here it is on 3-17-19. Not a bright red yet but looks healthy.

• SUSAN namway
    5 years ago

I tried it twice and it never made it through winter. First one could have been location but not #2.

David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a) thanked SUSAN namway
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Different climate but I have no trouble keeping heucheras alive long term.....any kind of heuchera. I have grown at one time or another Fire Chief, Fire Alarm, Mahogany and Root Beer, all of which have that intense coppery-red foliage. In my area these all do best and have the best color in a fair amount of sun.

In colder climates, I'd suggest trying Northern Exposure Red - a newer Terra Nova introduction that supposedly has greater cold tolerance.

My biggest issues with heucheras is that the deer like them almost as much as they like hostas :-( I have to spray constantly.

David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have never had a deer to touch my heuchera's, but hosta's….. that's a little different. I have found that if I'll take egg shells and break them up kind of small then scatter around them that the deer tend to leave them alone. Last year I got lazy and the deer reminded me of it. lol.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

LOL!! I should take a photo of my Frosted Violet. Was a big, robust and beautifully colored plant last fall. This spring it has only a couple of new little leaves peekng up from the center surrounded by this starburst of nipped off stems. Only the leaves are missing, part of some winter deer snack!

Since deer are so prevalent in my garden and seem to like to sample everything, I tend to plant anything I know they feast on in containers that are kept close to my patio entry where the deer don't visit. It also helps to keep the hosta slug and snail damage down to a manageable level.