Software
Houzz Logo Print
sherir14

Can't decide what to do for baseboard moulding...

7 years ago

Had a few issues with new flooring being lower than previous so need to fill the gap, have to go with something that is at least 3/4 wide from wall. The picture shows 3 choices. With choice A, i'd have to sand the old moulding paint line. Choice B and C would cover the paint line but not sure if its a good look to go with.

A. 3/4" x 3/4" qtr round

B. 1"x3"

C. 1" x2"

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.



Comments (24)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I think C looks the best

  • 7 years ago

    I like B. It's substantial yet clean and crisp looking.

  • 7 years ago

    What is in the rest of the house?

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    I would use the 2", you may struggle getting a nail to take with the shoe mold.
  • 7 years ago
    this is for my main level of my condo. upstairs is carpet and bedroom will have the same as main level.
  • 7 years ago

    C

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I know it isn't landscaping, but we do design work as well. :)


    What does the rest of the room look like? Also do you have baseboards in other rooms and are any of these similar or the same as those?

  • 7 years ago

    A. Remove what’s there now, sand and install shoe molding, not Quarter round. The other solutions just look like a cover up

  • 7 years ago

    B, but thinner (is it 1 inch thick? 1/2 or 3/4 would be nice)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Did the baseboard not get remover beofre installing new floor. Why is there a huge gap. Shoe mold is the correct solution for waht you have now.

  • 7 years ago

    I don't think you will really see B or C once they are installed. But sanding that paint line would be very hard to install A. I would go with B.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I agree with Jan or at least something taller than B or C. Others look cheapish .

  • 7 years ago

    My personal opinion is that qtr round is just cheap looking. Like an after thought, cause it didn't line up or was done wrong. A nice trim will give your room a finished look.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I prefer C, If, as Matt mentioned, you have a hard time getting nails to grab, the installer can rip narrow pieces the width of the baseboard and the height of the gap, and nail them underneath the baseboard, then nail the added trim to them.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I would not be able to live with a "coverup" fix. Take the existing baseboard off and replace with a thickness baseboard that covers the gap. Trim the top edge too if you want a really nice look.

    Select profile you like. Go to a lumber yard to get a better selection, if you want a more modern profile.


  • 7 years ago

    Remove the baseboard and do it right.

  • 7 years ago

    This is one of those things that when you are doing it, it becomes a focus. After it is done, no matter what trim is used, it won't be a big deal. Removing the baseboard after the new flooring is in just is not practical. Others say certain trim looks "cheap" or "I could not live with it". Really, baseboard trim???? Good luck Sheri, I am sure your project will turn out great...

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    "This is one of those things" when an error can be compounded after you do it wrong. Twice. Thus you stare at it. : ) Yet more.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Not crazy about any of them. I'd look for something to upgrade the look since a new floor went in. Also depends on style of rest of living space.
  • 7 years ago
    wacokid - baseboard or ANY trim is like the candles in the icing on the cake. It’s what makes a room look finished. Cheap molding fixes drag the look down. It’s worth the work to download it correctly.
  • 7 years ago

    C!

  • 7 years ago

    Interesting thread. I do appreciate a nicely done trim, but I don’t find myself at someone‘s house looking at their shoe molding and thinking to myself that they cheaped out, did something wrong and/or it looks cheap or downgraded.

  • 7 years ago
    None of these are right. I know exactly what you mean I am restoring an old historic home and I feel your pain. My advice is to find a mill works company in your area. Almost every area has someone who will run custom millwork. They always have a lot of different types of trims in stock that isn’t your basic Home Depot sizing.