0
local_eater

Revisiting a recipe

localeater

Last week as I was planning meals, I perused my clipped recipes, saw one I had made and saved and decided to try it again. It was an old one, I think I made it in 2010. I can picture my sons being 7 and 9 and coming in from sledding. I recollect loving it but that the kids were 'meh'. Well the kids are young men now.

Boy, was this a hit. Pot scraped clean, husband and son by pot, with bread dabbing the leftover sauce. I will definitely put this in the rotation. Note: I will doubled the kale, and probably used less potatoes than called for because that was what I had.

Dijon Chicken Stew with Potatoes and Kale

4 teaspoons olive oil, divided

2 cups sliced leek

4 garlic cloves, minced

1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces

1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces

1/2 teaspoon salt, divided

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided

1 cup dry white wine

3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled white potato (about 1 pound)

8 cups loosely packed torn kale (about 5 ounces)

Crushed red pepper (optional

Preparation:

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add leek; sauté 6 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Spoon leek mixture into a large bowl.

Place cut up chicken in a empty bowl, add flour, salt and pepper. Toss.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches, shaking off excess flour and leaving excess flour in bowl(reserve). As chicken is browned, move browned chicken to the bowl with the leeks.

When all the chicken is cooked, deglaze the empty dutch oven by adding wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.

To the bowl with the leftover flour from the chicken, add 1 c broth and whisk until smooth. Incorporate the mustard and remaining broth. Add to pot and bring to a boil. Add potatoes, kale, chicken and leeks. Cover, let it return to a boil and then simmer for 40 minutes.

• ccrunneroklahoma

I love this recipe! In my notes I have that it is from the December 2007 issue of Cooking Light. It is a flexible, forgiving recipe and very flavorful.

• OutsidePlaying

Sounds delicious. Especially for these cool rainy days we are having. Thank you for posting.

• Martha Scott

Sounds good!

• party_music50

Sounds good! Will definitely try it sometime!

• cran

Thanks localeater will definitely try this...sound delish..

• lascatx

Sounds good. Thanks for sharing. We have not gotten kale from our CSA this year -- actually missing it, but I guess that makes up for being overwhelmed the first year.

Isn't it interesting to watch tastes change as they grow up? My boys would turn their noses up at things that are now favorites too. My youngest loves chicken pot pie and asked me to show him how to make it, but until a few years ago he didn't want to eat anything with a sauce that wasn't tomato based.

• Fori

Lucky....my kid stopped eating chicken at 9 because he decided they were the most wonderful adorable animals ever and it would be unethical for him personally to eat them. Nothing else is cute enough to get this classification. Lambs? Cows? Turkeys? Trout? Not cute. Just chickens.

• yeonassky

Fori my DH raised chickens and watched the chicks devour their sibling if they got cut. He would have to save the injured chicks if he could. They're not cute to DH. I still like them but eat them though.

You should see the glee that lit my face when I saw this old recipe. I remember it well!

My face fell a bit when I realized I can't eat the flour though. Any thoughts on a good substitute for the flavours to still come through?

I can't have the wine either even though it's cooked but can use apple juice.

• 3katz4me

Thanks - I need something new and will give it a try this weekend!

• localeater

Cool that so many of you have cooked this recipe before.

ccrunneroklahoma- Cooking Light 2007 sounds familiar. They used to have the best recipes, I have found them to be less great in recent years, they often seem like retreads, but I still love so many of the old ones. I think 'flavorful and forgiving' are probably things that attract me to a recipe.

yeonassky - the flour is coating the chicken to help it get a better crust and then to thicken the sauce. you could totally omit it, or you could use a different thickener, like corn starch, corn meal, chick pea flour, rice flour, or a nut flour. Chick pea flour would probably my first choice as I think it would complement the dish.

• graywings123

At times like this, I wish I had a personal chef who I could send this recipe to and have it made for me.

• ccrunneroklahoma

I subscribed to CL for many years, bought the annual recipe hardcover books and followed the online forums then it gradually seemed to change and I lost interest in their recipes. The early recipes were so much better and eventually they tweaked/reduced the portion sizes to make it low-calorie or low-fat. I still return to some of those old tried and true CL recipes!

• ccrunneroklahoma

Yeonassky, you can easily substitute chicken broth for the wine. It might even be better!

• Sherry

Fori, You can use cornstarch. Just make sure the brand does not contain any flour or gluten. I think some do.

• whatsayyou18

It's on the stove right now and smells delish. Thanks for sharing!

• Lars

That looks like something I would like since I like all the ingredients, especially the kale. I've never cooked kale that long, however. I did save the recipe and printed it out so that I can make it when I have the ingredients. I think it would be good as leftovers also, which is somewhat important to me.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

That looks fabulous, thank you. It reminds me of the potato, kale and spicy sausage soup they serve at the lodge at Squaw. This looks even better with the chicken and mustard, though. Can't wait to try it.

• ccrunneroklahoma

Lars, my recipe directions are slightly different—the chicken and leeks cook in the broth for 30 minutes. Last step is as follows with my change in parentheses:

Stir in potato. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until potato is tender. (I only cooked about 15 minutes.). Stir in kale; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Garnish with crushed red pepper, if desired.

So the kale and potatoes were not over cooked or mushy.

• 3katz4me

I miss the good old Cooking Light. I loved their online recipe search before it went to Cozi. I have to say I haven't cooked nearly as many "new" things since that happened.

• Lars

Thanks for your revision - I think 10 minutes is the right amount of time to cook the kale. I will be adding in the crushed red pepper.

• OutsidePlaying

Made this last night and it is delicious. It will definitely go into our rotation. I omitted the red pepper this time (forgot) but may add next time.

I too waited until the end to add the kale. I use kale in another chicken soup recipe and always wait until the end to add the kale, otherwise it is way over cooked.

• cat_mom

I just made this tonight and it is a hit!

i used all white meat (used 1.75 lbs boneless/skinless breasts), so I added an extra cup of stock and some extra wine (Chablis Blanc plus a few splashes of the Chardonnay I’m drinking! LOL). Prob added more kale than called for and cooked it all a little longer. It is so yummy!!

• 3katz4me

Made it today - very yummy. I will definitely make this again. I included the red pepper and a bit of another salt-free pepper blend to make it a little more zippy. I had a 1.5 lb package of thighs so just used thighs which I usually like better than breasts in something like this. I had part of a sweet potato leftover so I added that with some white potato. I rarely put white potatoes in anything and I did like the sweet better so will use all sweet potatoes next time. And I'm not a huge fan of kale especially if it's at all tough and leathery so I cooked the heck out of the kale and it was great! I do like dishes like this with kale though because I know it's good for me.

• lascatx

It's interesting to see how many people talk about liking and following Cooking Light years ago. They went through so many changes, and each one seemed to take them further from what people liked about them. They didn't listen. I too have old CL books, magazines and saved recipes -- a number of them are standards for us. The one thing that never took was their lightened version of Texas Sheet cake. The cake itself wasn't changed much, but they reduced the overall quantity of frosting and the fat in it -- so that is was out of balance with the sugar. If I'm going to make that cake, I make the classic version -- half in an 8x8 pan if it's just for us.

ccrunneroklahoma, thanks for noting the different directions. They make more sense to me -- I was thinking the potatoes must be total mush at 40 minutes, much less the kale.