Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckrehbiel

Vanity lights 60 inch MB redo

Rebecca
5 years ago
I need better lighting in my small master bath vanity area. I love my top lights and am wondering if I can keep them. Maybe move them and add smaller sconces also on the mirror wall. Or do I just scrap them for sconces with maximum wattage on a dimmer? I will have additional lights in the ceiling and shower.

I was unexpectedly thrown into this mini-demo project when we removed some sheet rock in our hall bath and opened up the wall behind these lights. Access! One thing leads to another… For now I would be really happy to just get my lights up and move on with the hall bath update. The blue tape is approximate mirror size, the white papers indicate 2 light sizes that I have been looking at.
The electrician awaits.

Comments (7)

• mandy_redworth
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I don't like the yellow tone light some bulbs throw off. My condo is modern and I used bright white led bulbs and the difference is amazing! Maybe try that before redoing anything? Honestly, they bring in tons of light but still have a frosted outside appearance so they don't blind you. It really gives my place a clean, fresh look.

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks, Mandy. I’ve taken off the light globes to remove the old mirror. It’s not quite that glaring usually, but I will be sure to update to LEDs. What I really want is lower side lighting. I am 5’2’ and the current set up doesn’t show me in a very good light :)
  • Olychick
    5 years ago

I think you might find that brighter LED lights will provide enough light on their own. Adding sconces, along with the two upper lights, would be too many fixtures in your space, I think. If you just had one upper fixture, it might work, but four fixtures is too many.

Since you love your existing lights, what about, if the new bulbs don't fix the problem, putting in a larger mirror (I think you could use a larger one there, which will also reflect more light) and back-lighting it for more light down low?

You could also cover the whole area with mirror and install your lights through the mirror which will cause the lights to reflect even more light in the area.

these are more sconce style but I think mounting yours high with mirror behind them would work

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

keep your lights and get the backlit mirror(or the LED strip around the edges) like Olychick posted. that's all you'll need. Bonus, those backlit mirrors are great for doing makeup and hair.

yes your lights need to be lowered.

you could prob do something like this if you want sconces. they'd have to be thinner. and you'd have to do something similar atop the mirror.

• mayflowers
    5 years ago

The mirror is several inches too high, especially if you're 5'2". Bring it down as well as the lights.

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    All good. Thanks! I’ll look a little deeper into the backlit mirrors. That sounds perfect for my needs.