For several months, I have been fighting what I think is a type of scale and white fly with my Ficus Alii. It had it last spring and I was able to beat it, but I lost nearly all the leaves. I brought it back over the summer and it was super happy all fall. Then in December, I saw the scale again. Washed each leave with soap, water and neem. Thought I solved it, but then leaves started dropping and I saw more scale and a lot of evidence of white fly. So I sprayed with Insectidal soap where the primary ingredient is potassium salts of fatty acids from Bonide. (I have dogs, so am concerned about what I use in the house. And oh...the humans too.) But then two weeks later, I noticed the tree was pretty much infested with scale and leaves were dropping like crazy, so I washed each leaf again with neem, dish soap and water. It was fine for a couple of days and then leaves started dropping again yesterday and there are more leaves with brown spots. So, I’m clearly doing something wrong, using the wrong treatment or otherwise making this plant unhappy. None of my other plants seem to be affected and there is another type of Ficus Alii in the room, although much smaller, chartreuse with super skinny leaves (which I’ve just noticed you can see in the first photo.) Any thoughts? The white dots on the smaller leaf is what I think is scale. I’ve seen white fly, but not since I cleaned the entire plant again. Also, there are no scale on the larger leaf but brown spots? I don’t get it. Any advice?




tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
campbell914Original Author
Related Professionals
Amherst Landscape Contractors · Williamsport Landscape Contractors · Waycross Kitchen Remodelers · Knoxville Kitchen Remodelers · Charlottesville Kitchen Remodelers · Port Saint Lucie Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Galveston Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · South Sioux City Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Janesville Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Atlanta Interior Designers & Decorators · Covington Interior Designers & Decorators · Lafayette Interior Designers & Decorators · Chattanooga Interior Designers & Decorators · Murrieta Interior Designers & Decorators · Grand Junction Interior Designers & Decoratorstapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)