Software
Houzz Logo Print
whateva1234

Left front or right rear drain on kitchen sink?

7 years ago

We got a big sink in our kitchen remodel. Now we have a debate. Should the garbage disposal hole go in the left front or the right rear?

Comments (15)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    what's a 'big sink' ? be nice if you posted a pic.

    why can't the drain (garbage disposal hole?!) go in the center like most sinks?

    if you have two sides, put the drain/disposal on the side you choose to wash dishes.

  • 7 years ago

    I'm right handed so I'd push the faucet to the left, I think, and tend to scrub my dishes with my right hand--so I'd say left.

  • 7 years ago

    I’d put it on the right so when I rinse off my dishes, it goes down to the disposal. I’m right handed and moving over to the left would be awkward for me. I usually use the left side to dry off hand washed delicate items...oh okay, it’s for bathing my little dog. ;) But in all the places I’ve lived, it’s been on the right.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    What is the problem with a good old fashioned center drain , I work in a restaurant every day abd do not see one advantage to a corner drain.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Where is the pic of your sink and what are you even talking about?? The water and the garbage are going down the same hole in the sink, what the heck is wrong with center. If you are referring to a button on the counter to turn it on and off??? Whatever is handier, right or left of sink, at the back side.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Put it in the rear. That shoves the disposal out of the way and clears up space in the cabinet below.

    A disposal in the front just blocks access.

    This sounds like one of those porcelain farmer sinks that comes with 2 different fronts--one plain, one with trim. The drain is either in one front corner or the diagonal back corner, depending on which front you want to use.

  • 7 years ago

    To clarify - the sink looks like the one at the top posted by Beth H, except for the drain. They made a choice to put the drain on the left front vs the right rear. I was surprised as I thought it was going to be the right rear. Now I have the option to make them turn it around and I'm debating. The dishwasher is on the right.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    For heaven sake. Just put the drain on the back right rear side. turn it around. Where the heck did you GET this sink, and what brand? Does it have a half grate accessory?

  • 7 years ago

    The reason not to have the drain in the middle is functional. You have more space in the middle of the sink for things not to fall into the disposal and/or for the disposal not to be blocked by plates or whatever. It effectively makes the sink bigger. I strongly prefer this.


    OP, we are doing this and putting the drain/disposal on same side as dishwasher. This will simplify your plumbing a bit, or at least leave more plumbing-free space under the sink.

  • 7 years ago

    This is an Elkay Single Bowl Kitchen Sink. http://www.elkay.com/elgu13322 Not sure why Jan Moyer would mock this and ask where I got this??? You are a "pro"? My kitchen designer helped me pick it out. The sink is installed, so turning it would be a big deal.

  • 7 years ago

    There are serial haters on here, I’m just learning this. Just ignore them! So many of the comments I read I think of the quote “if you don’t have anything nice to say...” I love your sink - it’s a beauty. I like my disposal on the right. I’m right handed and that is the side my dishwasher is on as well.

    whateva1234 thanked mandy_redworth
  • 7 years ago
    What really happened is those posters above could not figure out you already had the sink and that you could turn the sink around during installation thus changing the location of the drain. Sometime reading DD is like reading the old comic section of the newspaper..
  • 7 years ago

    I would absolutely have them turn it around. That is a beautiful sink. Sorry they messed up the installation for you. They should have looked at the pictures and specs before proceeding with the install. Your sink has a slight slope to facilitate draining just like my Kohler Whitehaven which drains absolutely effortlessly. With the drain and disposal in the far right corner, you will have a lot of clear space under the sink. Our plumber neatly installed the disposal so I was able to get two pullouts under the sink, one of which holds a trash can. No more getting down on hands and knees to retrieve something from the back of a dark sink cabinet.

    In contrast, my prep sink is 30" wide with a center drain and disposal. The disposal cuts the space in half under the sink so the under sink storage is not nearly as efficient. It is also much more difficult to get things down the drain and I waste far more water in this sink. This seems to be a fairly common complaint that I have heard from others on this forum due to the minimal slope with center drains. For storage and draining issues, I would never choose a center drain again.

    whateva1234 thanked wilson853
  • 2 years ago

    I lost my job yesterday on this very same situation. All because I said it seems to be more logical to place the disposal on the left side so we don't have to run the drain back across the cabinet to the drain. So when it comes to which side. Flip a quarter and run with. Then later down the road you can say well if.....

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations