Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_bartee

Arranging Toddler’s Room-help!

Sara_Jayne
5 years ago
I need help arranging my toddler’s room. It just doesn’t look right. Please excuse my mess as I’ve been moving her things back and forth!

Comments (12)

• Sara_Jayne
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I know I need to move things lower on the wall, and re-arrange those. I’m sure I need different curtains as well. Right now I’m mostly concerned with the arrangement and then I’ll move towards the smaller things!
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago

Overall, I think you need better, and bigger, storage so there isn't so much stuff on the perimeters of the floor. I'd suggest perhaps a raised twin bed with drawers underneath (you can get a toddler step stool to help her get in/out of bed). I would also get a much larger rug for the floor. Have you considered FLOR carpet squares? They're great for kids' rooms. They provide a lot of warmth and if one area gets irreparably stained, you can simply pull it up and replace it very inexpensively.

• Sara_Jayne
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I can store some toys in her closet, and remove quite a few to get things off of the floor. Right now I am just trying to get a layout of her larger furniture. (Bed, cube shelves, kitchen, tall dresser, and chair). Once I find a good arrangement for those I am going to work on the windows, wall decor, and rug.
  • cindylou62
    5 years ago

Too many many small hanging things on all the walls, that is making it seem so busy. I would remove all things, and find larger art. Allow yourself one collage wall. Nothing on closet door. The bed, shelf unit, dresser and kitchen seem good where they are in 1st photo. The chair, they never use these for more than 1 minute, they are just cute, take it out. Give her as Much empty floor space as possible, she will want to play in it more if it is less cluttered. I know it’s fun to try an incorporate all of the fun things seen on Pinterest, but in reality it’s to small of a space for that. Pick your few favorite parts and get rid of the little bits. She is a lucky little girl to have a mom who is taking the time to plan her pretty little room!

• Sara_Jayne
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Cindy Lou! You are too sweet. I’m on it! I did move the big pieces. Do you like this arrangement better? Or the way it was? I also got new curtains, but I’m not too fond of these either. Maybe new blinds? I still need to take everything off of the wall. I stayed glued to Pinterest haha. You are totally right about the chair. She NEVER sits in it
  • CLC
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Such a fun room, but it feels way too busy for me. Although I should confess that I don’t keep toys in my kids’ rooms....I used to, but I find my kids are more calm and relaxed and can fall asleep easier when they aren’t surrounded by toys and so much “stuff” to distract them in their bedrooms. We are fortunate to have other space in the house for toy storage and play, which allows me to simplify the bedrooms. All that said, I totally understand people who want fun bedrooms, and keep all the toys contained in one room.

For the big furniture pieces, I would try the bed closer to the corner (so under the hair bow holder), and move the dresser under the skull. The bed will feel a little more private and less exposed when you walk into the room. You could also try the bed with the headboard under the name pendant. I would mainly focus on simplifying and condensing at this point. I agree more toy storage might help.

• lobo_93
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The last layout with the steer skull over the bed caught my attention because safe sleep practice calls for not placing sharp objects over a toddler’s bed. So, you might want to try placing her bed tucked into the corner, and have her name, the pendant name, or the big T, over her bed … as these seem made of foam or paper :)

• Sara_Jayne
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wow, I’m loving this arrangement and all of the advice. As I mentioned in my original post, I was trying to find an arrangement for the large pieces. Now I’m going to remove everything from the walls and only pick my few favorite things. Most definitely look into a larger rug, and figure out what to do with the window treatment. I’m finally getting closer to where I want it to be!
  • CLC
    5 years ago

furniture arrangement looks great!

• Daniela Marino
    5 years ago
    Please, just remove the skull !
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

Could you tell me which door is the entry and which is the closet please