Software
Houzz Logo Print
corey_loving

Mirror size & spacing for scones over bathroom vanity

7 years ago

I am installing a new 36 inch vanity & have purchased scones that have a 4.5" base. The vanity will sit ~ 3 inches off the wall on the right side. Looking to understand placement of the sconces and appropriate width mirror


Comments (12)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I believe you mean 'sconce', since a scone wouldn't last long on the wall! ;)

    we are going to need a picture of the space and the sconces.


    why are you having a gap on the right? can't you use two filler pieces (1.5 for each side or 3" filler on the right side)?


    this is a 36" . not a lot of room for mirror and sconces, so they did a single light over the round mirror.


    if you have an 'open' end, this could work




    Or, you could do a few pendants


    you could possible do some narrow sconces, like this


    Corey Loving thanked Beth H. :
  • 7 years ago
    This is the current vanity which is 42 inches. I plan to buy a vanity with a top and they all have a slight overhang, he and a designer recommended going with a 36 inch to avoid dealing with the overhang on the right. We could have a spacer made for the right vanity. Also including pic of sconces and potential vanity
  • 7 years ago

    I don't understand why you'd go from a 42" vanity down to 36". That's a lot of potential storage to give up and an awkward gap to have to clean. Is it the depth from the wall to the door frame that's the problem? How much room do you have there?


    After my own exhaustive search for a vanity with a similar setup, I can tell you the counter overhang is perhaps a half inch on each side and factored into the overall width of the vanity. (A 36" vanity has a +/-35" wide cabinet under a 36" wide counter.) I bought the widest vanity my bathroom could hold and caulked the space between the counter and the tiled wainscot along the back and right walls. (The backsplash that came with the vanity is repurposed in the shower niche.) A 42" vanity would also give you more options for sconce style and placement.


    P.S. I also considered those Acuna sconces before ultimately going with pendants because I felt they skewed to Mid-Century Modern for an otherwise traditional bathroom design. They are so cute though!

    Corey Loving thanked Libby Estell
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I don't understand why a designer thinks a 36" vanity won't have an overhang? and why she would want you to go smaller. that's silly. stay w/the 42" if you have the room. you can always have the top cut to fit off to the right. they will trim it so that there is no overhang and fits flush against the wall. OR, find a 1" filler piece to place in that space and paint to match vanity.

    if you do a 36" there, you will have a large space near the toilet and less storage.

    Corey Loving thanked Beth H. :
  • 7 years ago

    It's not that it wouldn't have an overhang, but the top counter overhang of the 42 is going to create a gap between the wainscotting and the vanity - BUT I'm going with having a filler piece made to match the vanity.


    So....how about that mirror/sconce spacing question?? :)

  • 7 years ago

    i'm confused. which vanity are you using? which mirror are you using? will the sink be centered or off-set?

    you need to post pictures of the new things.

    Is all that pink tile being removed?

    the current mirror there is hung too high. will you be wiring that wall for sconces?

    too many unknowns for a correct answer. Look at pictures showing 36" vanities (or 42" because I still don't know what's being used) and notice what types of mirrors/sconces or over head lights being used.

    you mentioned a designer. why doesn't she/he advise you on the mirror?

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for all the questions/feedback!

    Libby - would you be willing to post a pic of your finished bathroom?

    • 42 inch Vanity (Offset) and sconces attached
    • Planning to replace vanity hardware - maybe these but not sure about the gold tone https://www.etsy.com/listing/569298172/2-25-3-35-375-4-425-45-5-6-65-7-8-9-10?ref=user_profile&bes=1 
    • Bathroom is being totally gutted so nothing will remain (demo in progress)
    • Using Delta Trinsic champagne bronze fixtures
    • I haven't picked a mirror
    • Adding to my dilemna I had planned to do some wainscotting (included example) at about 48 inch height
    • I am not using a designer (contractor consulted one for vanity question but clearly I should have!!






  • 7 years ago
    What I ended up with
  • 7 years ago

    Very pretty vanity and floor tile. What tile did you use? Did you end up putting a filler between the wall and vanity? Is that a 42 inch vanity? Nice looking toilet too.

  • 7 years ago
    And yes 42 inch vanity