Software
Houzz Logo Print
seitzsar

Help designing bathroom vanity

7 years ago
This is a new construction home with a Jack n Jill bathroom to be used by my two daughters. There are separate vanity areas connected by a shared toilet/shower space. After framing I realized one of the windows in the vanity area was too large for the space, but it fits the looks from the exterior and matches the others. It’s too late to replace it so I need to adjust my cabinet design to work. I would love ideas/feedback on how to best utilize the space.

We have rough plumbed for the sink to be centered under the window. I will likely use a pivot-n-view mirror mounted on the right or put a mirror on a track that can side across the window.

If I do a basic cabinet for the sink, and drawers to the right, I think it’ll be a very large sink cabinet. Another option was a small set of drawers on the left, cabinet for sink and then a desk area to get ready at, however, that leaves a very narrow space for drawers and only a 21” cabinet for a sink. Which it may be tough to find an undermount sink for.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this. Below are a few photos of designs we’ve looked at. Thanks!

Narrow set of drawers:

Comments (13)

  • 7 years ago

    Just another thought... what about a 36" floating vanity (or something off the floor) with a revolving medicine cabinet beside it Revolving Medicine Cabinet. I will see if I can find photos for you... May not be exactly your taste... but could be an easier solution to custom.

  • 7 years ago

    I dont think it will be too heavy considering the weight of the window, and once the right blank space is filled in.



  • 7 years ago

    I would not have a desk area, I would squeeze as much drawer space in as you can. Girls have a lot of stuff!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    It's not a bad idea to make the sink cabinet larger because it will move the sink away from the wall a few more inches. The sink and sink base are the focal points of a vanity so don't make it undersized. Even with a large sink base, you'll still have larger drawers than most vanities. You might be able to add a drawer in the bottom of the sink base for towels too, but make sure you raise the plumbing to account for the higher floor to the vanity.

    Here are a few ideas.






  • PRO
    7 years ago
    You could also have a skinny pullout for hairbrush and styling tools on the left, a 24” sink base and the drawers on the right.
  • 7 years ago

    WOW... Thank you! Great feedback and ideas. I think I like the larger sink cabinet idea or drawers there, I didn't want to end up with a tiny sink. My builder really pushed for the open desk area but I think storage would be much more useful.


    RL Relocation LLC - That's a great way to balance and use the space efficiently, although I think I like some of the larger drawer options. But the top part with the artwork and mirror is a great idea! Thank you!


    suzanne_m and mayflowers - I think this is the route to go with either the large cabinet or drawers for the sink area. Great photos, thank you!

  • 7 years ago
    Agree to max storage and drawers are best for girls. Also you could hang a mirror in front of the window as pictured. Theses mirrors can be purchased on houzz.
  • 7 years ago
    Like this
  • 7 years ago

    In my photos all the sink cabinets have the mirror above them. It shouldn't be a big deal to move the plumbing.

  • 7 years ago
    Each girl needs her own set of drawers for storage. A makeup “desk” is a waste of space. A bank of drawers or a cabinet for paper supplies and towels makes better use of the space. I have not seen a makeup table in more than 2% of the bathrooms looked at in photos or in homes. Each girl needs her own sink, drawers, electric outlets, towels and towel rod, and mirror (medicine cabinet or just a mirror).
    My girls shared a Jack-and-Jill. Inevitably, they will lock both doors for privacy and forget to unlock sister’s door when leaving the bathroom. We put key locks on both doors and hung a key on the door frame inside both bedrooms. No more “Susie went through my room!!!” If Sandy forgot to unlock Susie’s door. If the door is locked and the other is not inside, no need to walk through the other’s room even if justified. Problem solved.
  • 7 years ago
    Be sure to install multiple electrical outlets, including some in the top drawer of the vanity, for all the appliances your daughters will use.
  • 7 years ago

    If you go with large drawers under the sink, make sure the drawers have the railing and support only on the side. You need to have access to the plumbing.