Software
Houzz Logo Print
nadiaflores1

Need MAJOR help redecorating Master Bedroom!!!

13 years ago
Recently married. Moved into his home. Kept his very masculine bedroom furniture. I have the "green light" to redecorate, paint, move furniture (aka, make it a little more girly". I definitely want to paint, but I do not know what to do about the wall behind the bed. It's not an exterior window. The wooden blinds are covering an interior window that overlooks our foyer. It's not in the middle of the wall and I don't know what to do. It's also the only wall large enough to accommodate the bed. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!!

Comments (17)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Beautiful bedding and furniture! I actually do not mind the wall color, either. My suggestion is to find a beautiful curtain that you can hang from rods neart the ceiling to cover the window and center your bed with it. Hopefully you can move the bed to center it with the window? Then it looks like it would be centered with the ceiling fan, too. Choose a fabric with some fun accent colors that would tie in with your bedding, like maybe a rich blue in it.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree with Terracegallery. It's worth the money to dry wall and solves the problem.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    i agree with Terracegallery as well. Removing that window will give you much more space to work with.
  • 13 years ago
    After you done drywalling, turn to some lighting. More substantial table lamps would be nice
    Barbara Cosgrove Silver Gourds Table Lamp · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I would think about placing a wooden board on the wall behind the bed. You could choose the color, put nails on it for pictures or place small shelves on it. It would also cover up the window. But I'd choose a discrete color since its quite a massive bed.
  • 13 years ago
    Add curtains behind the bed! They will make the space look super cozy.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I full-heartedly agree with Terracegallery. That window is unnecessary and will "bug" you design-wise until it's covered up or gone.

    In addition, I'd recommend a cool grey or another cool neutral for the walls--not too girly, but will diminish the masculinity. Also would recommend adding some color via beautiful artwork (check out Terracegallery's work) and/or throw pillows and other accessories. Deep royal purples and blues are essentially gender-neutral and good accessory colors for grey. If you're wanting to go bolder and a tad more feminine, "poppy" yellows and oranges are a good choice as well.

    Another idea is converting the wall behind your bed into an accent wall.
  • 13 years ago
    Is this the only wall the bed fits on? Strange that a home with a window that overlooks a foyer has a window overlooking the living space. Is this the master or a second bedroom? Pics of other walls would be helpful.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I agree, that "window" is one of the things I least like about the house, but dry walling it now is not really an option (my husband seems to be emotionally attached to the way it looks like on the reverse wall...go figure).
    B.L. Rieke, those were EXACTLY the colors I was envisioning--specifically the grey with pops of yellow, or maybe even green.
    I'm thinking about making it an accent wall by covering the window with fabric-covered canvas squares. I'll look for darker fabric and this will be my DIY project for the weekend:-)

    Vivian, unfortunately, it's the only other wall in the room where the bed fits. The other wall where the bed was previously just doesn't work for me. It's on the same wall as the bedroom door and it just looks odd.

    Thanks again everyone!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    For more ideas about covering up the window, check out this Pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/lblasey/cover-up-those-walls/. It's got a lot of interesting ideas for covering up unsightly things.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Here are a few pictures of gray and yellow bedrooms utilizing a concealing curtain or piece of art behind the headboard:
  • 13 years ago
    I would put up some simple drapes that cover the window and go all the way over to balance the other side of the bed. if you put a long line of drapes in 4 panels it would look like you had a huge window and you could still pull one or two of the panels back to let the light in,
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    We love the sunny yellows too! If you happen to need a piece of art to brighten up your room, here are a few ideas with various shades of yellow. And you can check out our page for more... Raisa
    Yellow Dahlia Burst, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info
    Rose, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info
    Hummingbirds On Yellow Tree, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, art print · More Info
    Red Orange And Yellow Glass Waves, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Why not persuade hubby that the frame and shutters should be removed and stored until you both find a better place for it? The shutters aren't very soundproof are they? ;-))
    Drywall it up and add sexy wallpaper or dreamy grasscloth!
    Julia Buckingham Edelmann · More Info

    Modern Guest Room · More Info

    Contemporary Living Room · More Info

    Cat Mountain · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I would paint the room Ace hardware's Subtle Ivory then get maybe some little art prices on the wall with paint the lighter the color the bigger the room will look
    Good luck!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I suggest you dry wall and then rehang the shutters on the foyer side. He gets to keep looking at them and you have a full wall in the bedroom.