0
patrick_c73

Extra-coverage drywall return for picture windows

Patrick C
last modified: March 13, 2019

Hi! We are replacing some picture windows with Andersen 100 series and will be doing trimless drywall return on the two sides and top, a stained wood sill on the bottom. we like the idea of seeing as little of the frame as possible, so I’m wondering if it’s possible to frame out some more and do the drywall return to cover more of the chunky window frame (see photo. Red being extra framing, green being drywall return). This would also help with blocking extra sound that can come through the hollow frame of the window. Is there any drawback of doing it this way, other than extra work? Thanks!

toddinmn

Yes, you could that or just add another layer of Sheetrock.

• Patrick C

Thanks! I figured it shouldn’t be an issue. My main concern was whether that frame would ”sweat” with a temperature change, or just the inside/outside difference, and build up moisture behind that extra rock/framing.

• lkbum_gw

Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t carry the drywall that far in. It will appear out of balance, almost like a port hole. I like your idea, but would only carry it as deep as the red outline shown in your sketch which could be accomplished by doubling the sheet rock as Toddinmn suggested.

Patrick C thanked lkbum_gw
  • Patrick C

Appreciate the feedback. The above would be the most exaggerated version, but like your saying, I’ll probably tone it back a bit. Thanks!