0
ilovetogrow

Hosta slug resistant / sun tolerance / proven winners 2018

I just found out...I am very ill with this horrible syndrome. Pray for me...

A recent study has indicated that hostas give off certain pheromones that hypnotize

women and men and cause them to purchase ungodly amounts of hosta. When stored in large

quantities in enclosed spaces, the pheromones in the hostas causes memory loss and induce

the gathering syndrome, similar to the one squirrels have before the onset of winter.

Sound tests have also revealed that these hostas emit a very high-pitched sound heard

only by a select few, known as Hostaheads. When played backward, the sounds are heard

as chants...'Buy me! Grow me!' Furthermore, pheromones seem to cause a pathological

need to secret the hosta purchases away when one takes them home and blend them into the

existing stash. When asked by a significant other if the hosta is new, the reply is, "oh,

I've had it for a while!"

In order to overcome the so-called feeding frenzy effect that these hostas cause, one must wear a

face mask when entering a gardening facility, and use ear plugs to avoid being pulled into their

grip. It is also beneficial to enter these gardening facilities without the presence of cash or

credit cards.

Sad to say, the addictive qualities of this compulsive behavior are cumulative,

and are ameliorated only by the purchase of more and more and more hostas.

No cure is known at this time.

So that being said show us yours:

• sunnywood 5aChazyNY

I thought you wrote that about me. How did you know? I have a moderately large garden so it’s hard to select favorites, but here goes !

Beckoning because of its color change

Blue Legend new but growing very well and symmetrical

Brother Stefan color and corregati

Clearfork River Valley just getting started,very thic leaves and appears to be a fast grower

Climax this is my best performer Huge

Jetstream love the blue and the dark green shiny color in fall

Potomac Pride fast grower and provides a good contrast to others

Sara’s Sensation thick and very colorful

Sharp Dressed Man just wow!

Sun Power bright yellow fast grower

Victory really fast grower.Going to get huge!

Slugs were no longer a problem when I sprayed with ammonia early in May and then every month until August. I also use sluggo several times during summer.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

it's no secret that blue hostas (solids and variegateds) are my favorite..and they're slug resistant too!..some of my favorites..(I WILL be taking new pics)

Empress Wu
    Elegans..Abiqua Drinking Gourd behind it..
    June..Elegans above them
    Krossa Regal
    Blue Mouse Ears..

• Beth (5b - Mid-Michigan)

Nice to see the tried and true. Slugs are a big issue for me so the hosta which still look good in September and October in Michigan are winners to me. Here are ones I took pictures of.

Brother Stefan - September

Coal Miner - October

Frances Williams - October

Halcyon - September

Krossa Regal - October

Liberty - September

Paul's Glory - September

Sagae - September

Sum and Substance - September

Sun Power - September

Wolverine - September

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

nice pics Beth!..I'm always noticing your garden beyond the hostas..nice grass..looks like a park..mine is much wilder..leaf litter, shade, moss and zero grass Lol..

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A

I am blessed to have a slug less garden with very little insect damage.

Most of my hosta are now mature specimens. Here is a few favorites.

Grape Fizz - shinny with a beautiful flower

Of course Amalia

Dark Shadows - slug resistant and fast grower

June - Sun Tolerant

Bridal Falls

The Lovely Dancing Queen

Fried Bananas - One of my firsts

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Wonderful pics!

From Blue Angel to Blue Mouse Ears and every size in between I am having trouble thinking of any blue that is not slug proof. I adore all blues and.....
    Winter Snow is sun tolerant and always performs beautifully. Sum and Subtle is behind it and is also very tolerant. S and S thrives in sun here.

Hanky Panky never disappoints.

I think you all know by now Emerald Ruff Cut is a favorite.

Gemstone is one I cannot recommend highly enough!

Dinner Mint has made a great impression since year one, even with a couple of leaves damaged by hail Those are Forget-Me-Not seedlings all around it.

I could keep going but these are just a few standouts for me.

• Beth (5b - Mid-Michigan)

nicholsworth grass is always greener on the other side of the fence :) I love the natural look of your gardens too.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Beth..."grass is always greener"..what a great pun!! haha..so nice of you to appreciate my garden..I love all of the pictures on the hosta forum..every garden here is beautiful..

• ConnieMay ON Z6a

Loving the pictures of mature hostas! Wow!