0
anetw

Fiber Cement Fence

anetw

I would like some suggestions for a privacy fence. It will be attached to a home which is in a wild land urban interface. I know a masonry wall would look beautiful, but do you have any other ideas for types of fences with low flammability (CA wildfire zone) and keeping cost lower than a masonry wall? The home siding is fiber cement lap board. Has anyone used fiber cement to make a privacy fence? Thanks!

• Christopher C Nc

I have seen a chain link fence covered in mesh and stuccoed. The finish is up to the mason's skill and imagination.

• Kathleen Kirchoff
    I have wondered how sturdy those hardie plank sheets that look like stucco would be if they were bolted to the steel poles from our cedar fence. My concern is termites not flames.
  • ulisdone

Fiber cement has no elasticity, so rather than flexing in high winds it will crack.

• apple_pie_order

A solution with several pieces may work for you. Identify the places where you need privacy, then the places where appearance is important (front of the house?). You might be able to use the more expensive masonry in some areas and metal fencing in other areas. Local fire and seismic codes get updated, so check with local building permit authorities (especially for height) and your insurance agent. Sometimes fence damage is covered by insurance, sometimes not.