Software
Houzz Logo Print
jqj18

HELP!!! Countertops...island and exterior

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I know this picture is Not the best but you get the idea. I’m going with a wood floor. Originall, I had planned to go with a black leathered granite on the back wall cabinets and a marble on the island. should I stay consistent and use the same material on the island and back wall cabinets? There Are no other cabinets than what you see in the pic! Thank you!!!

Comments (15)

  • 7 years ago


  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I would not have done the oversized over done hood and IMO you either have all one color cabinets and the island a different counter or the island cabinets a different color and all one counter but not both it is too busy in my mind.

  • 7 years ago

    Too many things. Pick one counter only. The bulky hood is overwhelming the small space.

  • 7 years ago
    The hood is in so let’s work with what you have. One counter top would work best and I lean towards your suggestion for the island. If adding a tile backsplash keep it simple. Looks good so far.
  • 7 years ago

    The hood can have those distracting and unmatching wood bits painted out. That would help. A bit. Better would be to swap to a reflective stainless.

  • 7 years ago

    I love your hood and if the wood part bothers you later, paint it. I would go with one counter type since you have two cabinet colors. Black is my preference, but That's up to you.

  • 7 years ago

    I love my hood and if I get tired of it, I’ll paint it. the marble I picked out has grey veining on it and I’ll try and post a picture. I think I may go with it on the island and the wall cabinets.


    I picked out black matte pulls and knobs. And going with black matte lateen and chandelier for dining. do You think that will flow well in the space?

  • 7 years ago

    Top chandelier is for dining space, bottom pic is for foyer, going with lantern over island.


    thank you all so much for your input. Do most agree that all marble would better with the Lighting and pulls being in a matte finish?


  • 7 years ago



  • 7 years ago

    I'm not a designer, but I like the marble look vs. the solid black. I think you'll wind up with a good balance of warm and cool colors, and the black hardware will look really sharp against it all.


    Do you have any pics of the marble with the white cabinets? My only concern would be if the cabinets are painted a creamy/warm white, and you have a cool white with the counters, then I think it could look disjointed.

    jqj18 thanked Pam A
  • 7 years ago

    The cabinets are simply white, classic white with no warm undertones.

  • 7 years ago

    I like the look of marble on both the perimeter and island in your case. I would style the countertops with a crock full of wooden spoons and maybe some cutting boards to warm up the white countertops. I think your kitchen looks great!

    jqj18 thanked kim1101
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Simply White belongs to the yellow color family. It can look dingy with some natural stones with a whiter background, or some grays that are in the blue family.


    https://campchroma.com/simply-white-oc-117-by-benjamin-moore/

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Kim for the positive comments. To me, simply white looks like the name states...simply white(lol)! I had it in my old home with marble and loved it. However, I wanted to incorporate some wooden elements this go around. I’ll post more pics as we go further along. however, you have all helped me to Make a decision as to go with marble all the way around! Thank you!