0
irissto

Tiny green grub

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

This little guy is just about 7 mm. Curious because most grubs I come across pulling weeds are bigger and white.

The Logician LLC

A beetle grub will have 3 pairs of very prominent legs in the thorax region, not visible in your photos.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked The Logician LLC
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am sorry. This one reacted quicker than the big white ones and started moving right away. I didn’t really want to bother it by flipping it over. I thought the color would help me looking it up. Didn’t work.

The Logician LLC

It may well be a first-instar beetle grub. Even those have prominent legs relative to size.

Hard to tell apart when that small.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Found another one. It doesn’t have any legs as far as I can tell. That makes it a fly?

• Fori

Ahhhh! You flipped it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't really have the head of a fly. Some beetle larvae are sort of legless, like black vine or other weevils.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Fori
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I did! Very carefully Can’t wait for it to warm up. It’s too quiet out there.

• Fori

Dang...I hope it doesn't get around your neighborhood that you're one of them weevil-flippin' photographers!

(I don't know that it's a weevil, but weevil flipper sounds better than grub flipper because that just sounds like you work at a diner.)

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Fori
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It sure looks like pictures of weevil larvae I just looked up. The vegetable one is yellow to green. I did have this one on my porch last night. Weevils are awfully cute.

• Fori

Pretty sure "cute" is in the textbook description of the family. :)

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Fori
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Seeing a lot more of these larvae, I thought I might have the “year of the weevil”. Seems they have their own set of problems. It’s obvious what is happening to this one

but any idea what is going on with this one?

The Logician LLC

If you are referring to the tiny brown structures, I think those were IDed on this forum last year as being made by a type of parasitic wasp.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I meant the rear end. I am not sure how clearly you can see the pictures. They don’t show up here like the originals.

• Fori

I think he got flipped too much.

Okay I can't really see it but the vast majority of these guys are going to kick the bucket for some reason or another...

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Fori
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I didn’t flip that one! Of course I figure they don’t make it all. Might not have any plants left otherwise. It looked like there was a chunk missing (but not open) and a brown something in the back. It was active though.

The Logician LLC

The brown specks seemed too regular for soil particles, they reminded me of the image in this thread: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5460249/what-am-i-looking-at-tiny-black-uhh-somethings#n=15

Otherwise I don't know what took a bite out of that larva.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Thank you! I really should stop worrying about all these small things.