Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Which set of glasses for a gift?

Annette Holbrook(z7a)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have a favorite gift I do for bridal showers or housewarming gift. I’m kind of a cocktail nerd so this is a fun gift for me to do. So I buy a cocktail recipe book that I really like and I will find a cocktail that makes me think of the recipient or has a connection to their wedding, etc. I then will inscribe a note in the book saying “Best Wishes, see page ___”. And then I buy them everything they need to make that specific cocktail, the alcohol, special equipment (like a hand juicer, a yarai mixing glass, a muddler, etc) and a set of glasses. It is always a popular gift and I am especially flattered when I am at a shower and someone I did that for is now doing this going forward. Although that has caused a few instances of duplicate stuff but no harm Lol.

So my next gift will be a fun one. The bride and groom are going to Bora Bora for their honeymoon so I’m doing a South Seas Sling(kind of like a Singapore Sling but more Polynesian).

I found 3 sets of tiki glasses I like but can’t decide. Any will work so this is purely a choice that will be a win/win no matter what. So here is a pic of the 3. I’m looking at the 3 clear options not the colored ceramic ones as this couple wants clear glass. So there is a short tiki glass, a tall tiki glass and a pineapple. The 2 tiki glasses have the design only on one side whereas the pineapple design goes all the way around. So if you were getting these would you have a preference?

Short tiki

Tall tiki

Pineapple

Comments (28)

• localeater
    5 years ago

I like the short tiki glass. I think your gift idea is very fun.

Annette Holbrook(z7a) thanked localeater
  • czarinalex
    5 years ago

I like the tall tiki glass. I think it would be easier to hold. The others are too 'rotund'. LOL.

• User
    5 years ago

They're all wonderful! I'd go with one of the tiki glasses, just because they're SO fun and definitely convey a Bora Bora vibe.

• baylorbear
    5 years ago

I like all of them (especially the pineapple!) but I'd probably give the tall tiki glasses. They do look like they would be easier to hold.

If they stay at the St. Regis in Bora Bora, they may very well be served drinks in the green ceramic ones! lol We had a few drinks there and I thought the tiki glasses were so cute!

• rubyclaire
    5 years ago

I vote for one of the tiki glasses. I really like the short ones but the tall ones may be better for these kind of tropical drinks. What a great idea - I'm so copying you!

• eld6161
    5 years ago

Fun idea. I vote for the tall tiki glass.

The pineapple could almost be used as a floral vase.

Annette, I think you have a dress to show us????????

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lol the plum dress came in yesterday so I’m going to grab some shoes and take some pics.

• just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

I guess I’m the party pooper. Unless one has huge unlimited storage for specialty glassware I’d opt for good quality multi use highball or rocks glasses plus a drinks recipe book or drinks garnish book (if there is such a thing). To me it’s not the glass that gets my attention it’s the creative or pretty garnish. Last time I was on Uncommongoods they had unusual shaped garnish holders.

• dedtired
    5 years ago

I like the tall ones and love your idea. The third one looks like a vase to me and I would not like that. I also like the tall ones because they hold more!

• DLM2000-GW
    5 years ago

I know you said clear but I really like the colored ones - how fun! But second best would be the tall tiki. Such a creative gift idea - I just love it.

• Sueb20
    5 years ago

I like the short ones!

The pineapple one looks like a vase to me.

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

My vote is for the tall tiki glass. The pineapple glass is cute but looks more like a vase to me too and would be hard to hold. Great idea for a wedding gift.

• jmck_nc
    5 years ago

Great idea! I've got the short ones in my Amazon cart!

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So if anyone is interested, here is the cocktail recipe book I usually get. I love it because of two reasons. 1. It recommends specific brands of alcohol for many of the drinks. This is especially useful with gin drinks as gin comes in many flavor profiles. 2. It also recommends food pairings, great for planning an appetizer to be served at a cocktail party with a specific cocktail.

I also grab a cute bookmark,

• teeda
    5 years ago

This is one of the best gift ideas I've ever heard of! I vote for the tall tiki glasses. Lucky couple!

• yeonassky
    5 years ago

I too like the tall Tiki glasses. The only thing that does bother me is that the pattern is only on one side. It doesn't seem quite fancy enough to me...

• PRO
    MDLN
    5 years ago

• justretired
    5 years ago

Tall

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mdln, those are stunning. But at $144 for a set it’s a bit much. Maybe I’ll get some for myself one day.

• jill302
    5 years ago

Love your choices, a great gift. The tall tiki glasses are my favorite. Thank you for sharing the cocktail book.

• tjkeen
    5 years ago

I love the pineapple ones because they are different. Bulky doesn't bother me.

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

What a great idea! i will steal it for the next time I need a gift.

Annette, if I see correctly, those colored glasses posted above above by mldn are now 38.00 (plus tax and shipping). They were 144.00.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    5 years ago

$38 for one glass on the website.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yep, I read it the same way, but when you go to the website it’s $38 per glass or $144 for the set of 4 (saving $6.00!). Don’t get me wrong, I don’t begrudge them the price. They are hand-blown and beautifully done. I just can’t justify that amount for the glasses. Unless it was my main gift, but I still have to buy a wedding gift as well. If they had actually registered for them I’d be all over it!

• terezosa / terriks
    5 years ago

Not as pretty as those that mdln posted, but I like these colored tiki glasses - and the price is right!

• terezosa / terriks
    5 years ago

And I found some more, but I know nothing about this shop.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

I like them all very much and would be pleased to own any.

But for quick first impression - I'd likely pick the first.

Although the pineapple pattern does go all around...

Sponsored
More Discussions