Software
Houzz Logo Print
20longwoodroad

my living room needs to be staged!

7 years ago
Hi all... long story short, we recently finished renovating our home.. however, things changed and now we are moving to be closer to family. With that being said, I’m looking for your advice as to how to give some life to this room-
Color scheme- rug? Accessories? Pillows? Coffee table/cushioned foot rest? This couch was a hand me
Down from my SIL and since we’re moving we aren’t getting a new one. Need advice as to
How to bring this sad couch and room from
Drab to fab. Floors are a taupe made
From maple and walls are mission white. Please note I do not want to rent furniture. Room next to this is like a sitting room
With a gorgeous view of our backyard/pond.
It’s blue/gold tone. Thanks so much!!

Comments (37)

  • 7 years ago

    I would take the tv down for sure. If you are not going to get any additional furniture, I'd remove the sectional and stage the room as empty.

  • 7 years ago
    Good idea, but we still live here. We need the tv up. We can buy furniture. I just need to make this couch POP! In a good way
  • 7 years ago

    we sold our past two houses in just over a day each... I think you could take down the TV For a quick sale! Good luck.

  • 7 years ago
    So then if we did that, our downstairs area wouldn’t have a tv, I don’t think that’s so great
  • 7 years ago
    Some tall lamps, an arm chair and a tall plant. Get a cheap rug and put between couch and fire place. Maybe an inexpensive piece of art on each side of the fire place?
  • 7 years ago

    If you want the room to look finished and inviting, you will need to add rug, draperies, wall art and a coffee table, at a minimum. That will still leave you with quite a bit of empty space. I would be reluctant to spend money on all that because the couch and all the new stuff might not work with the next home.

  • 7 years ago
    How does the tv make a difference? We have a 4500 square foot home, brand new wood floors, brand new moldings, completely renovated kitchen with heated floors, brand new master bath with heated floors, laundry upstairs, a large WIC, 5BR plus maids corner, finished basement that walks out, a third floor office, a pool...
  • 7 years ago
    I agree, Partim- but I’m ok spending $ even if it doesn’t work. I’ve become very good at finding nice things at discount prices. Not to mention, don’t want to spend a lot anyways since we have young kids. We actually have gorgeous outdoor views so don’t need blinds, agree with all else- I just need a color palate
  • 7 years ago

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like an empty room with a sofa and a TV. So, I'd say you're starting from scratch. Do you want window coverings? (maybe you don't need them). A rug. A chair. Coffee table. End tables. Pillows. etc. It would be nice if this fit with the rest of the house or at least the adjoining room. Maybe use a style and color scheme similar to the adjoining room. If you post a pic of that room, it might help. FWIW, you can sometimes get good deals on furniture on craiglists, and sofa are sometimes surprising cheap. So if you don't like this sofa, you might be able to get a replacement rather than struggling to make it work.


    p.s. centering the TV over the fireplace would help, since you can't take it down.

  • 7 years ago
    Lol
    Yes it is centered! My mistake. It was just on an angle (can rotate tv). Ok- maybe I could do navy blue. You are totally right. Looks empty and weird. Before
    The picture, I had my two year olds slide and her rocking ship and some plastic drawers for arts and crafts lol so it’s usually a mess!
  • 7 years ago
    Edie- what color arm chair and rug do
    You suggest? Where do you envision plants? Good idea to put pics up there.
  • 7 years ago

    Hang in their 20! Renovating and then selling a home with a 2 yr old! oy! Here's hoping the move is a good one. best of luck.

  • 7 years ago
    Yes and a 4 1/2 year old.. hard part (renovating) is done!
  • 7 years ago

    Now that you've decided to sell, you can't think of this as your house anymore. You have to stage with the buyer in mind. It's a pain in the neck, but really you have to remove yourself. As you may know, the fireplace TV combination is controversial because of the viewing angles, so I would take it down. You want to appeal to as many buyers as possible - and many people do not like a TV over a fireplace. Granted, some do, but why risk turning a buyer off? Besides, it doesn't look centered.


    I'd get a good looking but inexpensive area rug, coffee table and an accent chair. An art print with mass appeal for above the fireplace. Perhaps a triptych on the rear wall under lined with a credenza to show storage potential. Blue is a safe accent color and works well with tan. Work it into a couple throw pillows for the sofa. Fresh flowers and live plants are also nice. You'll want a couple of lamps, too.


    It's a nice sized room and I think it will show well. Don't "fill" it. Leave room for the buyer's imagination to engage. Hoping for a quick sale for you.

  • 7 years ago
    Thanks so much, Manon. Tv is definitely centered. It was turned earlier and I didn’t adjust it. I really appreciate your advice and fully understand it, but, what do I do then for a tv downstairs? Don’t buyers want to see where a tv goes? We have another room sort of on an angle to this room. It is smaller and opens to the kitchen with a window/bar space.
  • 7 years ago

    Would you say your sofa is a caramel color? Hard to tell on screen. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/colors-match-caramel-sofa-104671.html

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Is this first room when you enter home? If so stage it. If not, remove sectional so buyers can visualize their items in the space.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Items in mock up.
  • 7 years ago

    I would pull colors from the surroundings by placing the sofa color pillows on the ends and third on in the center then buy a couple white pillows and a couple grey pillows to fill in the sofa and then place a think cream throw with fringe along the end of the chaise and place a black iron glass top coffee table there with a white floral plant in a white bowl.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Other items.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I don’t usually mind a TV over a fireplace but it makes your room look odd, when you have so much space to put it somewhere else. Flo’s idea is great and doesn’t require much more to make the room feel inviting.

  • 7 years ago


    rug suggestion to go with my previous

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    My mock up didn’t post. I will try again.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    It posted above your item pictures.

  • 7 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I think I’ll stick to blues, beiges, creams and grays. Get some pictures, a rug, maybe a coffee table... unit for shelving
  • 7 years ago

    Is there another room in the house that has a TV or is this the only one? If, not and you really think it's important, you could put the TV on to the left of the fireplace. But I'd talk to your realtor and get her opinion.


    Here's a rough mock-up for you with some ideas. It's not ground breaking but is totally stage appropriat.






  • 7 years ago

    Sometimes the staging cost is built in into the seller's agent fee. Do you have an agent? Doesn't hurt to ask him/her! They tend to have *universal* things that work for many different homes tucked away in the storage somewhere :). Good luck!

  • 7 years ago
    Flo Magnun has a very mock up of almost exactly what I was thinking! Best wishes for your relocation.
  • 7 years ago
    Hire a stager.
  • 7 years ago
    I agree with Flo as well! TV to the side, trust me buyers don’t want to see it there. If you want a quick sell listen to these wonderful ladies, they know what they’re talking about!
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    IMO unless that sofa is coming with you in the move all the stuff to make it work is a total waste of money. If it is going with you then spend the money now as Flo suggested and take the stuff with you. IMo better an empty room than a bunch of money spent on stuff to fill it in a house you are not staying in.

  • 7 years ago

    First I would check with your realtor to see if she thinks the room should be staged. If you are in a hot market you may be able to get away with not staging it. With 4500 square feet of house can you shop your own house first before making any purchases? Even getting a discount on nice things it will all add up.

  • 7 years ago

    I guess I’m missing what the big deal with the tv is. If people don’t like a tv over the fireplace, it’s not like the tv is staying with the house (unless it’s negotiated between the buyer and seller). Personally, I am not a fan of TVs over fireplaces but I also understand that people are still living there and that the tv most likely isn’t staying with the house. If the mount were to stay, as a buyer, I’d be less worried about something so easily fixable and more focused on the things that are really a deal breaker. If a buyer is that turned off by something so trivial, I think I’d be turned off as a seller in dealing with such a picky buyer and what other hoops they’d expect me to jump through during the sale. Most people understand that not everyone shares the same likes and dislikes as they do - that’s why they change things to fit their needs and lifestyle when they buy a house, or live with it. Those that don’t get that are either not ready to make such a big purchase or are better off building to their taste. If we all had the same taste, every house in the entire world would look identical.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    There are many people with cash and no imagination. You want the largest pool of buyers for your home in order to sell it quickly without a price decrease, including the ones with no imagination. But of course, it is your home, your time, your money to allocate.

    I think you are on the right track with adding gold and blue to the room. The color of the sofa reminds me of the classic caramel leather sofas.



  • PRO
    7 years ago

    One additional point, for your scale home and probably price point, some good staging is vital. check out light fixtures that are key when entering home too. those can sell a home!

  • 7 years ago
    Lighting fixtures done,
    Thanks for input!
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH