Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_81368426018

my poor rose needs help

7 years ago
Does anyone know what this might be or how to fix it??

Comments (18)

  • 7 years ago

    Are u talking about the yellow on leaves? That’s RMV.. cant be fixed. The rose will grow just fine.. with a bit of compromised disease resistance may be. That’s it!

  • 7 years ago

    Yes. If you are talking about the yellow areas, that's the sign of Rose Mosaic Virus -- which is transmitted from one plant to another in propagation.
    See: http://www.weekendgardener.net/plant-diseases/rose-mosaic-virus-021002.htm

    As the weather heats up, that will disappear, and you'll forget it's there.

    There are here and there roses which carry such a load of different forms of virus that they actually don't grow well -- but for the most part, the effects are minimal to the average gardener.

  • 7 years ago
    Wow that’s crazy. This rose has been here for at least three years it grew fine last season and I’ve never seen it before. It’s not on any of my other roses. I wonder where it came from. How is it spread? Nothing can be done?.
  • 7 years ago

    Yeah, it can't be cured -- but the rose probably had the virus when you bought it. As the posters above suggest, if it seemed healthy last year it will probably do well again this year.

  • 7 years ago
    It was planted by the builder and i did have a knockout that had rose rosette we removed. Maybe we just got a bad batch of flowers. All of my other roses that i have recently purchased are certified disease free so that’s good to know.
  • 7 years ago

    Certified disease free?? I don’t know about that! Is that such a thing??how can it be?

  • 7 years ago

    Usually it comes from grafting onto infected stock. Most Dr. Huey stock is infected, but if the rose is kept otherwise healthy it should grow just fine. I have one rose (well, two of the same variety) that have this and they are still robust. It could be that the weather or other stressors are making it present this year.

  • 7 years ago
    I have bought from heirloom, david Austin, and a few places in Tyler ,to near where i live and they have warranties on them.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    The rose had it when it was planted. So do your other roses, though you can't see it.

    There is a 90% certainty that your Austin rose ALSO has it. (I KNOW for a fact that there are roses in Austin's gardens in England that are virused.)

    If you can prove your rose is virused, Austin will replace it. With another virused plant.

    It can't be cured, but won't really do any harm.
    It commonly displays after a cold winter.

    I have had a rose which lived here for 20 years without showing a sign of virus. (I knew it had to be there, but it never displayed.) Then, one spring, after an unusually chilly winter, it broke out with that all over the plant.

    So, don't worry about it. Virtually all of the roses sold commercially in the U.S. are virused, and they do fine.

    I have roses which I know to be free of virus, (They have been tested) which were planted in the mid-1800's in historic cemeteries. But if I were to buy a modern rose, I would assume it to be virused.

  • 7 years ago

    "Certified disease free?? I don’t know about that! Is that such a thing??how can it be?"

    Unless it has been tested, you cannot assume that. Saying it's virus-free does not make it so.

  • 7 years ago

    Jerijen, I agree, I have bought which are being sold as disease free and were virused all the way ..

  • 7 years ago
    It makes sense about the cold. We have had a late cold winter. Wow i never knew that. I guess i will leave it alone for now and see how it does.
  • 7 years ago

    "Jerijen, I agree, I have bought which are being sold as disease free and were virused all the way .."

    *** Yeah. I know that story. It's sad, but it's good when you know what you're dealing with. But it still has to make you mad.

  • 7 years ago

    I know many of my roses are virused but I rarely see the symptoms. They only show up when the rose has been stressed for some other reason, usually the weather. Since I don't grow my roses for the leaves I just ignore it and the roses grow out of the symptoms once they're out of the stressed situation. It's very hard to find roses that are virus free and some roses were created virused and will never be free of it. Just grow the roses you love and don't spend time fretting over the virus. Enjoy the blooms!

  • 7 years ago

    What entity issued the certification ( of freedom from disease)?

  • 7 years ago

    The following link is to my rose virus information:

    https://sites.google.com/site/rosevirusindexpage/

    Without a virus test, one cannot tell which virus (or group of viruses is (are) infecting your rose. Currently, I would be most concerned if the aphid transmitted Rose Spring Dwarf is present.

    https://sites.google.com/site/rosespringdwarf/home

    -------------------------------------------------------------

    The following link suggests some pruning precautions if a rose virus is suspected:

    "Even though there is no clear evidence on the potential transmission of the viruses causing RMD through pruning equipment or knives, it is important to sanitize equipment consistently when working with roses, to minimize any potential risks."

    http://nwdistrict.ifas.ufl.edu/phag/2014/11/14/re-emergence-of-rose-mosaic-disease-in-florida-nurseries-and-landscapes/

  • 7 years ago

    Please don't worry about any of that. Just enjoy your rose. This is a virus, but not one that's going to spread to your other roses.

    OTOH, cleaning your pruners between roses is never a bad idea.