Software
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Is Marchesa Boccella slow to break dormancy?

7 years ago

I am wondering if Marchesa Boccella is normally slow to break dormancy? I know it’s alive, the canes are green, and I see indications that it is about to, but it’s just sitting there. All of my other roses are way ahead. I’m hoping that soon it will break dormancy, but I’m beginning to be a little concerned.

Comments (9)

  • 7 years ago

    I think this got moved down too far, bumping it up!

  • 7 years ago

    I'm not sure on this one. There do seem to be OGRs that wait until it is safe to leaf out. My Tea roses can leaf out too early and get frost nipped sadly.

    sara_ann-z6bok thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    In my garden, it breaks out of dormancy later than the Austins and Hybrid Teas.

    sara_ann-z6bok thanked Krista_5NY
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thank you everyone. While very recently we’ve had some warmer weather, probably not enough yet for the soil temps to be warm enough. Unfortunately, I don’t have any of the class of roses you mentioned Christopher. I have Reine des Violettes, and American Beauty, also HP’s, which have both leafed out some and Paul Neyron, which is still very small, but is leafing out. The rest of my OGR’s are Bourbons, which might be a little behind my modern roses, but are all leafed out.

  • 7 years ago

    I should have mentioned that Marchesa Boccella and my other Damask Perpetuals break out of dormancy later than the Bourbons, and the Austins and Hybrid Teas.

    sara_ann-z6bok thanked Krista_5NY
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Krista. At least for now what I’ve read here has eased my concerns.

  • 7 years ago

    It'll break dormancy soon. My Compt de Chambroud is just now breaking and all my other roses have all leafed out.

    sara_ann-z6bok thanked Ken Wilkinson
  • 7 years ago

    I have once-blooming deciduous roses and evergreen warm climate rose and find that they have basically different growth patterns. The deciduous once-bloomers color in fall then lose their leaves cleanly just like maples and dogwoods, stay naked for the winter, then leaf out in spring, with bloom following in late spring. The weather doesn't matter: they have their schedule. Warm climate roses instead keep, or try to keep, their leaves all year round, succumbing only to severe cold, and they bloom whenever it's sufficiently warm and sunny and they have water. There may be variations on these patterns for roses of mixed blood, but basically this is what I see in my garden. At the moment the once-bloomers are leafing out, while the Teas and Chinas are in early bloom, a month ahead of their usual schedule as we've had an (appallingly) early sunny spring.

    sara_ann-z6bok thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
0