Software
Houzz Logo Print
heather_smith155

Charlotte's growth habits

I planted Charlotte last year in a spot with lot's of room to see what she can do here. However, we are now doing a rather big backyard project, so I need to move some roses and plants. Almost all of them I have had for a few years, so I have an idea of their growth. But Charlotte is new enough that I don't know what to expect in terms of size. So does anyone in zone 4,5 or 6 grow her? Just wondering on overall height and width with regular winter dieback?

Comments (21)

  • 7 years ago
    I did do a search on Charlotte on the forum, but it was more about newly planted ones with no real followup.
  • 7 years ago

    She doesn't get too big at the Columbus Park of Roses in Ohio.... I've never seen her exceed 3'-4' in height and bushy, but not large. She's quite winter hardy... they are zone 5b/6. I feel they are colder there for some reason than two hours south. Definitely more snowfall.

  • 7 years ago

    In my experience she likes to throw out multiple octopus arms and got pretty tall, ~5 feet in the first year.

  • 7 years ago

    She is into her 3rd year in zone 8 in PNW and still 2 feet by 2 feet with lots of black spot for the last 2 years and very few blooms. Will wait this year for better blooms though ..

  • 7 years ago

    I agree with Vapor for size in the colder zones. I've had Charlotte about 6 or 7 years in zone 5 and she has survived pretty well but never gets above 3-4' and is a pretty compact rose. Rebloom isn't terrific but it's way better than the scrawny wimp that Happy Child was. I'd say my height for her tops out at 3.5' and width maybe 2'.

    Cynthia

  • 7 years ago

    In zone 6,she was about 4' tall but did have dieback in the winter. She wasn't very wide either.

  • 7 years ago
    Ok when I said I gave her space to grow, I was thinking 4 feet tall by 3 feet wide. Which is really large for my zone. I sometimes forget that roses can grow so much bigger with no winter dieback. So I'm going to plan on her being more bushy. Which is great because I think she's going in a new area that requires being a less tall Austin.

    Plus, all of the David Austin's really vary in my garden, so the size guides can be misleading. Benjamin Britten is 5 feet tall by the fall, whereas Jubilee Celebration is barely 2 feet high. I find that stuff frustrating because I'm trying to plant things in an orderly fashion, and one grows bigger and another is so puny sitting in it's empty space. One of these days I'll get it right!
  • 6 years ago

    In zone 7a, VA, Charlotte is growing bushy and tall .Already 7 ft tall in second year. The late season growth doesn't have many buds but just tall growth. I will need to bring the size back to 3-4 ft in early spring next year.

  • 6 years ago

    Good day!
    For myself in southern Michigan Z5b, Charlotte usually tops out at 4'X3'. Some years it dies back to near the ground, but returns well.
    Mine is an own-root plant from David Austin.
    This image is from 2015, its second season.
    Going into spring 2020, it has not gotten much bigger than this.

    Steven

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Similar experience here. She is on 3rd year and stays compact 4feet or 5feet with 0 winter dieback. I have her next to Benjamin and he gets to 7 or 8 feet easily by fall while she stays compact.

    This year I pruned benji 3 times and Charlotte none. I have 3 Charlotte bushes planted together so here she doesn’t seem to get wide very fast.

  • 6 years ago

    My Charlotte is getting a hard prune this late winter . She’s a beasttttttt . Big ole shrub see pics .... these are early spring pics I gotta dig to find where she’s at her highest ... someone in my david Austin group actually has her as climber .

  • 6 years ago

    Kenneth oh, I think someone asked you this before but do you spray? Your roses are so beautiful and I know you Garden with high black spot pressure.

  • 6 years ago

    Here’s another one ....



  • 6 years ago

    @Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValleyyesss I spray . And I am ocd I remove disease leaves I wipe pruners with Lysol after each use , I work from home so I get to devote alot of time that’s why you see them so beautiful . Thanks for you comments .

  • 6 years ago

    This was her in August . Uggh I just reminded myself she was my first austin and I have a special place in my heart for her she’s so hardy i abused her the first year and she still bloomed . . I was learning



  • 6 years ago

    My grafted Charlottes were nice bushy 3 1/2 - 4' shrubs for a number of years, then one year to my amazement they took off and grew octopus canes. They were not happy with my attempts to curtail their growth that year, would not produce laterals and I didn't get much rebloom. I've been redesigning my garden with smaller roses, and they got the shovel, perhaps a bit too hastily. Maybe they could have been kept in check with careful pruning.

  • 6 years ago

    Yes I prune Charlotte hardddddd . I let her have about 5-6 canes max at beginning of the spring because she loves to show out she’s wide and like to throw long canes .

  • 6 years ago

    Love your Charlotte Kenneth :). Maybe if I show mine your pictures she will get going this year. Love your roses.

  • 6 years ago

    My Charlotte

  • 6 years ago

    It gave octopus arms in its 3rd year and I expect the same this tear too .. easy 5 ft.