Software
Houzz Logo Print
pippacovalent

Show off your semi doubles

7 years ago

I've been enjoying the semi doubles lately and would love to see photos of your favorites. The first one that I noticed was Birthday Girl which I hope to own some day. I do have John Cabot and I have a Souvenir de St Annes and a Carefree Wonder coming this spring.

Comments (34)

  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful, oldrosarian. Your photo quality is just wonderful!

    pippacovalent thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful indeed. I think I have only one at this time, International Herald Tribune.


    There's also Marie Pavie, but I'm not quite sure whether it would qualify as a semidouble.

    pippacovalent thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Peach Blossom--an older DA rose that you can't get anymore, unfortunately

    Eyes for You

    Blue for You

    Flamingo Dancer (who is a semi to double bloomer but sometimes will throw out a single)

    pippacovalent thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • 7 years ago
    Those are all pretty! I had to really think about what qualifies as a semi double. Seeing these images helped clarified that for me.
    pippacovalent thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • 7 years ago

    I don't have photographs of my own to offer, but it occurred to me to go to HMF and post here links to photos of some varieties that I like. There are some very lovely semi-doubles out there.

    'Fruehlingsgold', big beautiful shrub, scented: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.312789

    Alba 'Semiplena', one of the famous ones, big handsome shrub with milk-white blooms: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.250021

    'Windrush', an older David Austin shrub, offspring of 'Golden Wings', another semi-double beauty: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.315235

    'Kathleen', Pemberton Hybrid Musk, a beautiful shrub: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.319529

    'Pax', another Pemberton HM, lovely plant: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.295952

    'Francesca', yet another Pemberton HM, with considerable Tea character: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.241656

    'Safrano', technically double, but in practice often semidouble: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.140957.  This photo shows a stronger coloring than is typical. None of the photos I looked at on HMF captured 'Safrano's delicacy of coloring and texture, but I didn't look at them all.

    Have to go! I hope this is useful. Also, 'Safrano's pale lemon-yellow sport, 'Isabella Sprunt'.

    pippacovalent thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 7 years ago

    Here's a few that I think fit the description.

    Campfire, Fourth of July, Bull's Eye, Fourth of July with Night Owl, Burgundy Iceberg & Never Alone

    pippacovalent thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • 7 years ago

    I don’t have any semi doubles but Meg and Eyes for You really jumped out at me so maybe I have some in my future!

    pippacovalent thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    These are double or semi double I cannot really tell.

    Species rose



    Nymphenburg



    Unknown rambler



    Glenn Dale



    Lillian Gibson



    Harison's Yellow



    pippacovalent thanked altorama Ray
  • 7 years ago

    WOW those are all very nice and I love the look of the semidoubles. I am not sure I have any. Maybe Iceberg is a semidouble or Desdemona? I might have overlooked this category of roses.

    pippacovalent thanked dianela7analabama
  • 7 years ago

    Mountain Mignonette



    Westerland


    Veilchanblau


    Ghislane De Feligonde


    Unknown



    pippacovalent thanked altorama Ray
  • 7 years ago

    Wow that Austin peach one is lovely, so sad it's out of production. Campfire is pretty spectacular as well as Safrano. So many are just lovely. I feel like the semi doubles have a romantic look overall.

  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful pictures , all.

    Dawn Crest

    Aunt Margaret My seedling of Earth Song though it looks something like a tea:


    Art Nouveau this one has the most unique stripes down the center of the petals


    International Herald Tribune Mine has been in a pot for at least a decade and hangs in there with a will.


    Orangeaid I had a pot of this located next to Ebb Tide and loved the vivid colors together.

    Fido, a seedling of BFY , and a faithful bloomer


    pippacovalent thanked erasmus_gw
  • 7 years ago

    Truly, about my favourite form as it combines the simplicity of the species with a certain blousiness. I don't know why I don't have more. Erasmus, Dawn Crest is on my bucket list, but I'm not sure how she'd do in my zone.

    pippacovalent thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    John Cabot

    Dr, Huey


    pippacovalent thanked caflowerluver
  • 7 years ago

    I love this post, and there are so many stunning, really gorgeous semidoubles here. Pippa is right, there is something romantic about them, and I don't know why I don't have more of this group. Mustbnut's beautiful photo reminded me that I also have Eyes For You, which now has quite a few buds but I've not had a bloom of this rose yet. I can't wait!

    pippacovalent thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Here are


    Some of mine for what they're worth. That was fire opal.



    I believe this is Robinhood.


    Cinco de Mayo


    Valentine. It's hard to get the color right on this one.

    Candyland. This one died when I didn't cover it Scion enough.

    pippacovalent thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago


    La Marne. I hope my cutting makes it.

    pippacovalent thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    I have a few but there's nothing to beat 'Scarborough Fair' for my affections... it's just perfect for a small garden..

    pippacovalent thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Add a new one to my wishlist! You guys are killing me! Marla Rena, that is exactly the type of Rose I love. So sweet and romantic.

    pippacovalent thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    I was going to order Scarborough Fair but it was sold out already. Its so adorable!

    pippacovalent thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    A few more - AC Navy Lady, Oscar Peterson, Westerland, Morden Sunrise, Bill Reid & Mango Salsa

    pippacovalent thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • 7 years ago

    hello I'm happy to see any pictures you may have of Navy lady. That is another Rose I have wanted now since first thing at 2016 at the Columbus Garden of roses. Light fragrance but beautiful bush. And perfect deep red color.

    pippacovalent thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    I just planted AC Navy last year, so there's not a lot to say yet. Grew well, beautiful deep red blooms, very dark almost black buds. Suppose to be healthy & hardy. These are the only pics I have so far.

    pippacovalent thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • 7 years ago

    I'm getting it. I have to cancel something on my

  • 7 years ago

    I like that AC Navy keep us updated on its progress :)

  • 7 years ago

    Wow Morden sunrise and Bill Reid are lovely too.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    There are a lot of beautiful roses in this group: Pippa, thanks for the idea of the thread, and to everybody for all the photos.

    It looks like I made a mistake in my HMF photo link for 'Safrano', picking a likely mislabeled rose. This was signaled on the HMF photo, but I didn't notice it. I'm wondering if the rose in the photo I linked to may not be 'Lady Hillingdon'. The following photo looks convincing: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.296887

    And here is 'Safrano's sport 'Isabella Sprunt': www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=21.173942

    I like the semidoubles for the variety they give in a group of roses in which the doubles might otherwise be too indigestibly sumptuous. I came up with some more last night. These are still links to photos on HMF.

    'Hebe's Lip', thorny, lovely, fragrant shrub classed with the old roses: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.193981

    'Belle Amour', also thorny, lovely, fragrant, classed as an old rose but of uncertain classification (HMF says Alba, but I don't understand why): www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.294131

    'St. Nicholas', old rose from who knows where, which I utterly adore but lost to poor planting: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.317274

    'Dupontii', listed, convincingly, as a Hybrid Moschata, massive and glorious: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.155579  The splendor of shrub and flower are difficult to capture in a single photo.

    'Marguerite Hilling', sport of 'Nevada', big lavish scented marvelous rose: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.235234  Mine, grown in poor soil, would I believe still be putting on a good show were it not for heavy and repeated deer damage. It has finally gotten a cage and I'm expecting great things from it. 'Nevada' is on my want list based on the character of its sport.

    'Alain Blanchard', an adorably freckled Gallica that I've been trying for years to get to grow in my garden: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.266693

    Enjoy!


    pippacovalent thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 7 years ago

    Vaporvac Dawn Crest has done well here - give it a try!

    pippacovalent thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • 7 years ago
    Here is a beautiful semi double, Cordelia, blooming at Huntington Gardens yesterday. Has a lovely old fashioned look on a very handsome bush.
    pippacovalent thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Never heard of Cordelia! SOOOOOooo pretty!. Dingo, thanks for the comments on DC. I read yours last night on HMF. How large has yours grown? Anything else you could share.... scent, thorns, shape? Does it climb in Z5 at all?

  • 7 years ago

    I have one picture that’s not good lol. It was a nice size band when I got it late 2017. Grew to about 3 ft last year, bloomed well, healthy. I don’t know if it would climb or not, but you are warmer there, it could probably go on an obelisk. I think it can get pretty big in warm zones.

    pippacovalent thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • 7 years ago

    Lovely! I think I have one blooming today that might qualify. I’m not 100% sure if Silver Cloud is a semi double or a double. Lisa



  • 7 years ago

    Semi doubles are some of my favourite roses and a lot of my 300 roses are semis. I don't have pics yet as they are all new plants, but I will this season! I love seeing everyone's pics!

    pippacovalent thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting