dbarronoss

Delphinium tricorne

dbarron
last year

Photo will be attached (GW gods allowing).

This is delphinium tricorne, which is native here in Arkansas. This one is in either my third or fourth year in my garden and this is the first flowering. It's rather hard to find and a little on the finicky side. It failed to thrive in my Oklahoma garden, but appears to be reluctantly growing here. Most delphiniums take one long look at our summer and say 'Outta here' and croak. The three I've had luck with so far is exaltatum, tricorne, and treleasei.

In Oklahoma, I had natively occurring D. carolinianum virescens, but it doesn't like the overly abundant summer soil moisture here and abruptly departed when planted last year.

• dbarron
    last year

Failed to add photo to top post (long known problem, I know)...so here it is. Not the best photo I've ever taken, but it might do.

• texasranger2
    last year

It looks healthy and the color is gorgeous, maybe its established enough to stay around. I'm betting you'll collect seeds from it.

• dbarron
    last year

Yes, though I haven't had the best luck with seeds the last two years. A lot of no-shows.

• texasranger2
    last year
    last modified: last year

I didn't plant many seeds this winter in pots but had mostly no-shows with the ones I tried. I tried re-sowing Big Red Sage 4 times. Maybe my seed is too old but its not all that old ---Fall 2017---and I sowed a lot of them.

The look is still too dense for my taste currently out there anyway and I'm still thinning plants to create a more open look so its not a big deal. The two packs I ordered from NativeSeedSEARCH and those tourist postcard/seed-packets of native Grand Canyon natives I found in the junk drawer that I direct sowed a few weeks ago are coming up nicely. Those Grand Canyon seeds were old--- 2013.

Luxury Color Consultation & Design Expert in Loudoun County