slimwhitman

Tulipa turkestanica

slimwhitman

I am always looking for dependable perennial tulips. I have started to try non-traditional species tulips to get there. This is my first year with this one, but it is so cool. Thought you should see it as well.

• dbarron

It doesn't necessarily mean anything for you, but my experience was that they lasted a year (maybe two)...I had high hopes :( since they're described as spreading abundantly.

Too much summer moisture may be my issue though.

• posierosie_zone7a

Very nice! They are different coming out in a cluster. Please do come back and comment on return next year.

• dbarron

Ok, so far, my best luck with these has been tulipa saxatilis and clusiana...three years after planting, they're still going.

• slimwhitman

@dbarron Thanks for responding a year later. The intro photo above turned out to be a one-year event. These tulips did not return. Very disappointing. I also planted T. tarda nearby and it was also a one-year event. :(

So far, T. turkistanica has been my only successful returner. I will check out the two you mention above to see what happens.

• dbarron

Yes, I wanted to have multiple years stacked on my reply...thus waited :0 Let me know how they do for you...mine may disappear next year (lol).

• slimwhitman

T. turkistanica has done very well in my garden for about 10 years.

• dbarron

Let's compare notes..it might help us all understand better.

My property is a clay and the climate has tended toward very wet, which is not conducive for most bulbs...to top it off, I live in the south where hot soggy summer soil is kinda fatal to most tulips.