0
nicholsworth55

one more spring post..

nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

another nice day..I took more spring pics..I should've carried my garden seat and saved my back..on a few shots I was bending over and not even looking at the screen!..

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    Regal Splendor..
    June..
    Empress Wu..didn't look at the screen..almost missed it..
    Little Wonder..

Clausa..can't get all of them in the pic..
    hellebores..
    hellebores..I hope it's not long until all of us have hostas..(and other stuff too!)

• Karin Black Cat

Your hosta show a lot of leaves already. Over here the nights had been cold and they still are waiting...

But the garden has more colour than two weeks ago and I know the rest will come soon :-)

nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis thanked Karin Black Cat
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    more trilliums..not the same clumps as the previous posts..some have blooms..Empress Wu is at the top in pic#2..
    my shrubs aren't "naked" anymore..
    I love brunnera's blue flowers..
    the backyard view from the dining room..trees..trees..and more trees..

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Karin..you do have more color..the maple and Whiskey Sour "jump" off the screen..even after all these years seeing plants come back still amazes me..

• popmama

For nicholsworth and for StevePA6. I found a whole cluster of trillium today when I was out fertilzing hostas.

So it turns out more than one survived the transplant by mail! In case you can't see through your monitor, I am patting myself on the back. Haha

nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis thanked popmama
  • Erin W- Minnesota

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.....

Thought I'd share my spring so far in Minnesota lol... I'm enjoying everyone's pics. Makes me feel like there is still hope.

nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis thanked Erin W- Minnesota
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

nw, everything looks so good. From what I could tell from pics it looks like we’re pretty close to the same

stage even though different zones. I have a few maybe more leafed out but not many and not by much.

It’s been fairly cool and wet here but I think I saw a couple days next week in the mid 60’s so that should get out the sleepyheads.

nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

Erin, it does look like Christmas! When does your spring typically start?

My father in law lives in Minnesota and we visit every July. It’s very beautiful at that time of year!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

popmama..yay!..your trilliums look great..you will have more!..

Erin..spring certainly hasn't arrived in Minnesota has it?..but it will!..

oursteelers..I don't keep records so I'm not sure if the hostas are early, on time or late..I might look for an old post and see if I can tell..I'm happy to see them..we have a cold night ahead tonight..forecast says 33..I wish our weather was more consistent..I'm going to cover the too high BME..my banana (only 2 inches high)..I'm leaving the big pots out..

• frankielynnsie

This is my 3 year old bed of hosta/shade plants. Ignore the brick piles. Someday they will be an edging to the bed. Here in Georgia I'm a little further along than most of you all. They are living happily under a pecan tree surrounded by very big rocks dug out of our yard 25 years ago. The bird feeder is there because my cats like to sit in the bedroom window and talk to the birds.

nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis thanked frankielynnsie
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

Yes you are FAR ahead of me!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

frankilynnsie..you are far ahead of me too!..I love it!..love the big stones and the brick(?) fence..

• StevePA6a

Great to see your trillium, popmama! Hope they stick around for ya.

Here's a shot today, of my original planting site for them, going back at least 20 years ago, with maybe 3 little mail-order plants.

nw, I think your flowers are a bit more bright red than mine, these are more dark wine colored.

I was a bit of a shutterbug today, overcast skies, makes for good photos.

This big 'Gold Heart' is the biggest eyecatcher in the backyard.

Christmas fern

A photo can't capture how beautiful this big patch of Solomon's Seal is.

I love the emergence of sedums in Spring, maybe just as much as hostas.

nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis thanked StevePA6a
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

StevePA..glorious photos!!..your bleeding heart is outstanding..I was outside for maybe? 3 minutes today..just long enough to put 5 plants in the garage (cold tonight) and to cover 2 with pots..I understand your comment about the Solomon's Seal..I had the same thought about my hellebores picture..so much better in person..

• StevePA6a

One of the first to unfurl because of position close to the house, such a welcome sight coming up the walk.

'Ripple Effect' could be my favorite coming out of the ground.

I know many of you aren't seeing much spring yet, I just hope you can rejoice with me for my good fortune this year. After a few years of shrinking hostas, from too much sun - not enough rain and clouds, this is turning out to be the best Spring ever for my garden, due to historic rainfall the last half of 2018, and a somewhat normal winter.

Please! no late freezes!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

what a beautiful yellow on Coconut Custard..I love that color..and those red legs!!..so pretty..Ripple Effect and Wheee have very special pips..I forgot to check Wheee when I was out yesterday..I'm also concerned about a freeze..I'm glad you're having a nice spring..mine's been great but tonight isn't as nice as it has been..

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

Nice photos! We seem to have come through the last couple of cold nights unscathed. I used sheets, leftover fabric strips, some light plastic, and inverted pots to protect the hostas. Yesterday was a perfect spring day and I took a couple of photos.

Fire Island, with Wheee! in the background.

Autumn Frost

nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis thanked windymess z6a KC, Ks
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    This was my yard yesterday on APRIL 14,! yep, that’s my daylilies poking up through the snow. Glad my hosta are still sleeping. We got about 5 inches of snow. I was wearing sandals last week. It’s supposed to be in the 50’s today. I am definitely weather weary!

sherry

nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

Sherry I hope spring comes soon for you. Do you think the snow will affect your daylilies or do they handle it pretty well?

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

windymess..it's still too soon to tell if my hostas have any damage from the cold..

Sherry..bummer..I would be weary too..

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Fortunately my daylilies will be fine,btw, the snow is about 90% gone today, wacky weather!

Sherry

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Sherry..yay!..good riddance..

• popmama

Steve, I love your gold bleeding heart. I have one but it's not that chartreuse color, it's just green. Yours is so bright! And wow that sedum is lovely. What is the variety? I may have to get me some of that! I love sedums as well.

• StevePA6a

Popmama, that sedum is 'Autumn Delight'. I have pretty many others as well, they keep coming out with such colorful new ones. I don't really have ideal places for them, but keep buying anyway. A few other tall types I'd recommend are 'Touchdown Teak', 'Desert Black', 'Autumn Charm', 'Cherry Truffle' and 'Marina'.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

StevePA..sedums are attractive..I don't have enough sun and shouldn't have any but I have a few..Lol..I forgot to say this before..my trillium blooms could be more red but the day I took the pic was very sunny and the red looks brighter..sometimes they look more like wine..

there's a house in my neighborhood that an agent bought to flip (it was never listed)..the old landscaping will mostly be removed..I met the agent Sat..the owners left nearly everything in the house..she offered me pots, a shepherd's hook and some years old (going by the faded tags) small boxwoods in nursery pots that were never planted..when I commented "you have bloodroot" (I don't) she said "take it if you want" so I did!..they're living in my garage at the moment until my soil is drier..anyone growing it?..

• angieg1

This is all I have to share so far... moss and 1 lonely bulb (there used to be more). There are still patches of snow still around the shady parts of the yard and parts of the ground not fully thawed so there a few days before I pull back the leafy winter mulch insulation.

Here's to spring growth triumph over the wacky weather patterns!

nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis thanked angieg1
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

angieg..your day will come..later than some of us but it's coming soon right?..something could be going on under those leaves..

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Nicholsworth, I have some Bloodroot in one of my gardens, it will like your shade. It’s been a slow multiplier here but so pretty.. I don’t have any photos right now but I posted photos a few years ago, might be able to find them with a search here.

Sherry

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Sherry..I agree that my wooded lot will be the perfect home for bloodroot..I'm surprised that I've never found any here..I think you're right that it doesn't spread as quickly as some woodland plants..at the house where these were growing there were several small clumps but not big patches everywhere..

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Nicholsworth, I found my bloodroot post, it was in perennials in 2015. That year it bloomed at the end of April and disappeared by July. It will bloom later this year for sure, I didn’t see any bloodroot foliage last week, will have to check today.

Sherry

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Sherry..I found it!..you have an impressive bloodroot clump..in my pic that's 6?7? separate clumps sitting together in my pot..I hope mine do as well as yours..

StevePA..my sedums..

a little piece that broke off that I planted..
    a total of 6..all different sizes..
    more small white blooms..prettier in person..
    coral bark maple with a bit of wind..
    an epimedium with a few flattened stems..darn squirrels(?)..