0
pattiz5torontoon

Overwintering hostas in pots

I overwintered 2 potted hostas in my garage. When is a good time to put these pots outside?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

are they still dormant??? ... if so.. move them out to full bright shade ...

if leafed out.. they will have to be protected thru last frost/freeze

ken

Patti (z6a ON Canada) thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Patti (z6a ON Canada)

Yes they are still dormant. The soil in the pots is no longer frozen, but we still drop to freezing or below at night. Do you think they will be ok outside with those temps?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

they are fully cold tolerant down past z4 ... you are z6 ...

they really didnt need to be in the garage.. but for the pots ...had they been in mother earth ... they would have done just fine ...

cold in april simply is not an issue ... unless they leaf out ..

ken

• popmama

If you want, you could bring them out during the day and put them back in the garage at night until the overnight temps are no longer going below freezing. This is what I do with other types of plants that I overwinter in the garage. To save your back, put them on wheels and roll them out and roll them back in. :-)