Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseann_moushon

Kitchen remodel quote

Roseann Moushon
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Just got our first quote for our kitchen remodel and it’s $22k not including demo, flooring, electric or plumbing - it’s for kitchen craft cabinets and cambria countertop. It’s a small 10 x 12 kitchen - seems high to me but we’ve never remodeled a kitchen. We don’t need a fancy kitchen - just more functional and durable. Looking for saving suggestions and plywood constructed cabinet options

that will be more economical.

Comments (20)

• GreenDesigns
    5 years ago

Way too cheap. Double that price and that’s still low.

• yvonnecmartin
    5 years ago

Why do you want to remodel? If your kitchen is functional, save your money until you can afford quality.

• Roseann Moushon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What cabinet line would you consider quality?

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

So, this price is for the cabinets and their installation and nothing else, right? I re-did my 11x15 kitchen nearly 3 years ago (4 walls - no open concept) and my cabinet price was just under $20,000 for Shiloh, which is considered at the top of the mid-range cabinets. I had one double and two single cabinets with glass doors. All were painted. Lowers were nearly all drawers. One wall cabinet was a totally custom size.

• Roseann Moushon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes just cabinets countertop and install, stained cabinets, two susans and one small tall pantry with shelves, do you like your cabinets?

• Helen
    5 years ago

The only way to proceed is to get a kitchen design that is what you want in terms of cabinets; door style; type of wood; any accessories so that you can get an apples to apples quote.

Frankly your quote for cabinets seems high too me but it may or may not be. I would google for reviews of Kitchen Craft and also do a search of this brand on this forum to see what others have to say about it and what comparable brands are and what houzzers might consider to be more bang for your buck cabinet brands.

It seems high to me based although I don't have anything specific to compare it to - Kraft Maid, Omega, Dynasty are all considered to be good middle of the road semi-custom cabinets.

I just finished a remodel and used a local cabinet maker and I think my cost is way less than if I had bought from a company but I don't have it broken down by specific room but based on comparisons with comparable custom lines, I would say it was probably at least 50% less than if I had bought semi-custom or custom - especially since I used a relatively expensive wood (quarter sawn white oak); custom stain and had some inset doors.

Everything was custom and I had my kitchen, dining area; two bathrooms; a huge wall unit/desk for my office plus a large room divider built by him. He also wound up doing my interior doors and my kitchen cabinets have a lot of personal touches like toe kick step stools so I can access upper cabinets without hauling out a step stool. I also have a paneled refrigerator and dishwasher. He is also someone who takes a lot of pride in his work as he has come back to make sure everything is perfect.

• dovetonsils
    5 years ago

Get a couple more bids. The only way to tell if is fair for your area.

• mainenell
    5 years ago
    The labor quote is very location dependent. Get more labor quotes.
  • M Miller
    5 years ago

Just know that electric can be very high. Just putting in the backsplash receptacles, a few switches, and undercabinet lighting can be $2-4K depending upon your home.

I actually don’t think the $22k is that off the mark - unless you live in Boston, SF, or NYC. The replies to your question are all over the place because there are so many variables. What about appliances, faucet, sink, backsplash? Your cabinets need to go the ceiling, so you should be getting 39”H or 42”H cabinets—is that what is in your quote? Are you getting deep drawers in your base cabinets? And, what part of the country are you in?

Do you see why we can’t really tell you if $22k is right?

• Roseann Moushon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes we have to get an estimate for the electric. I would prefer to do 42” cabinets because I could use the storage and minimal molding would blend best with the rest of the house. Also have to budget for a new range. The corners are tight so I don’t think big deep drawers are an option. And we live in Fl.

• traci_from_seattle
    5 years ago

Seems high to me if it’s just the cabinets and install, but I don’t know labor costs in FL. Are you open to doing assembly and install yourself? You could try Ikea or Barker cabinets.

• Roseann Moushon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We’ve thought briefly about doing the install ourselves but don’t think we want to do that.

• cjcanet
    5 years ago

15 years ago we built our house and put in Kraft Made cabinets (love them!) from Home Depot. Install is not too hard if you can have a couple extra hands. It always amazes me that a kitchen is just put together with screws! We installed all the cabinets ourselves, then had a counter top guy make, and install a formica top (cheaper than others, like granite) partly because I didn't want to worry about getting the sink cutout done right. It saves a ton of money.

A few years back we had a small rental that needed new cabinets. We unscrewed everything and hauled them out. Bought Home Depot cabinets in a box and screwed them in, done.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

You may want to explore total project costs for your region and city. https://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2019/

• PRO
    Modern Design Remodeling LLC
    5 years ago

Hi there,

Email me at MDRemodelingLLC@gmail.com with you address and info and I will give you a quote you might like.

Tim

• azureoak
    5 years ago

Following. trying to decide full kitchen Reno ... new cabs, counters, hood, cooktop...the other appliances will stay VS... refacing the doors

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

are you going through the big box store or a private company?

Cambria is one of the most expensive quartz lines.

You could pick other cabinets for that kitchen and come in under 10K. easily.

You could also look at pre-fab countertops and do your countertop for under 2500. yes, even quartz (not all selections are avail in pre-fabs though).

Heck, for 22K, I could give you a brand new, beautiful kitchen that included everything you want. even redoing the electrical and lighting, recessed lighting, and top of the line tile and backsplash.

check around with other local companies.

Roseann Moushon thanked Beth H. :
  • sowkmom
    5 years ago

Definitely get more bids including bids for labor. When we redid our kitchen I got a bid from a trusted contractor and then estimates for cabinets and countertops. I also got a few bids from “all inclusive” kitchen shops. I got more bang for my buck by getting an independent contractor and sourcing my own cabinets (installed by my contractor) and countertops. I researched for Many months I preparation for the remodel in order to get the most bang for my buck.

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    5 years ago

Always reach out to a local custom shop, you will be surprised that they are likely not much more than these crappy box cabinet lines. I work for a local custom cabinet shop and we are often 10-20% less than any quotes fom HD or Lowes because our installers are employees not subcontractors, and we take time to do things right the first time therefore don't have to budget for mistakes.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH